Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Ľ Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: Solar iphone

Default Solar iphone

MacBook pro 17" i7, iPhone 4, 32GB
    iPod classic 160GB, iPad wifi only 32GB

Hope not, I'm never out in the sun!

would be kinda cool but i dont see it producing much power.

It's Apple we're talking about! Solar power - charges while you're talking! :P
    To buy or not to buy? That is the problem.

Considering how little power the iPhone uses, any small amount of power from a solar device is a feasible way of lengthening the battery charge. Even if itís just to power one tiny component like a sensorÖ although considering itís mostly in your pocket or bag itís not going to receive a lot of light.

Quote Originally Posted by ruegen View Post
    Considering how little power the iPhone uses, any small amount of power from a solar device is a feasible way of lengthening the battery charge. Even if itís just to power one tiny component like a sensorÖ although considering itís mostly in your pocket or bag itís not going to receive a lot of light.
    Think how inefficient they are, and how much direct sunlight hits your iPhone.

Totally impractical.

Default Solar iphone

Quote Originally Posted by lord

Think how inefficient they are, and how much direct sunlight hits your iPhone.

Totally impractical.
    Currently yes, but perhaps Apple has made something new that the world hasn't used yet with it all being intergrated with the screen. I tend to keep an open mind about new tech otherwise we might as well never come up with new stuff if everyone dissed it before use. Kinda like when cars and planes first started hmmm?
    Last edited by ruegen; 7th June 2010 at 06:30 PM.

I'd love it. I have a casio watch that has the solar panel under the lcd. Granted this is a very different device but it is possible to put solar panels under displays. I also work outdoors a fair bit and would be happy leaving my phone on the dash of my vehicle while i am out and about. Adding to that, anything that uses a renewable resources less, is a good thing.