Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just wondering if anyone can provide some feedback on Skype and Skypeout and in particular any recommendations on what microphone/phone is best to use?

Thanks
    An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

I rate Skype! It's a great concept/technology/program.

Has worked really well for me, and obviously saves money on phone calls. Especially to friends overseas.

I use the built in mic and speakers in the PowerBook, and they are fine.

Only disadvantage I've found is that it is still not widely used amongst my friends! Some of them are still on dialup....
    Pain is temporary. Quiting lasts forever.

There is a truckload of skype stuff on various VoIP web pages. The application seems to work very well on a PC to PC basis (you know what I mean) ... but I have found Skypeout to be much less satisfactory to use & have kinda given up on it for a while - so there may have been considerable improvements since my last usage. I recently tried Google Talk & was very impressed by audio quality ... it may be possible to get Google Talk operating on Mac machines as it is Jabber compatible. There are quite a lot of applications audio & video around - the big problem is many have limitations regarding internet connection speed & operating system (some will only run on Win XP). Skype will operate on WIN XP & Mac machines so thats something ... & live video is meant to be around the corner but it will be interesting to see how peer to peer system copes with internet pipe demands of video. Play around in this space & you will want to sell your Telstra shares fast!

No problems here Mac to PC / PC to Mac...
    Pain is temporary. Quiting lasts forever.

JimWOz's Avatar JimWOz is offline 56 no. ...and still seeing it big as a footy

I also use the built in speakers and mic in my PB.
    Set the echo cancellation option in preferences, people on the other end say it makes a difference.

MenuMeters tells me Skype pulls about 5K/sec up and 5K down, so will not work well on dialup.
    A 3 way conference pulls 10K/sec each way.

The firewall at work prevents Skype from working, but is fine from home broadband.
    If you use firewall software like Nortons or Brickhouse, set it to log all outgoing and you'll see it sends packets all over the place !

No experience with SkypeOut.
    MBP15 i7 2.2 16G/1TB/120SSD, MB C2D2.4 Black, MB2.0 Black, PBG4/15/1.5, PMG4 MDD, iMacG3/333, Epson1410, HPLJ5200DN, HP ML115 Ubuntu Server, Airport Extreme+Express N. In the closet: HP DC7600 PC, PBG4/12/867, PBG3/333, PM6200, PB5300C, SE30, SE.

I use USB headphones / mic combo with G4. Works fine.
    Skypeout is a bit flakey even calling US or within Oz, but it works.

Skype to skype is great, but can't comment on skype-in or skype-out.

Last night had a 25 minute 3-way conference call with a friend on a PC in the UK and another on a Mac in Canada. All just using built-in mic/speaker. The sound quality was great, with almost no lag. We also had no trouble sending files and IM's to each other while on the phone call. All for free. Noice.

My only criticism of VOIP is that unless you are able to use some form of headset that gets you away from your computer you can easily be distracted by your computer. I'm sure we've all been on the end of a conversation where the other person is also typing /surfing / whatever - it does not make for great conversation. :blink:
    ---
    MTAU member since 2005!
    Owner of Bags in Motion - selling urban and commuter cycling gear.

well eBay want to buy them out for $4.1b so they must be doing something well..

article here. excuse my forum linking, but its a fairly decent discussion..

W2ttsy

Exclamation

I've used Skype (not Skypeout though) many times from Sydney to Adelaide, Mac to PC, and the sound quality was superb. I just went down to Dick Smith's and paid $10 for a Verbatim headset - the problem with using my iMac G5 was that the mic is right next to the speakers and fan - too much interference - but the headset sorted that out
    MacBook Unibody 13" | iPhone 5 32Gb | iPad 3 16GB | iPod Nano 6G | Airport Extreme | ATV2 Successful Trades: TomMelbourne | Mart | ajbeardy | Barticus | countmacula | mikinoz | Exocet | oddturtle | gmask1 | jeremywarnock | carlow1 | musky

I use Skype, SkypeOut, and SkypeIn (I have a US number for my friends in the states to call me for cheap&#33. The quality of the voice chat is only as good as the quality of my connection - and seen as I'm on Bigpond Cable it can be quite variable. But when it's good, its excellent. When Bigpond is having problems, Skype suffers. None of this is the fault of the service though. I've never had problems with the service, even Skype Out and Skype In. Everything has always worked flawlessly.
    On the internets: Email | Blog | Facebook | tumblr | MySpace | Webpage | Twitter | last.fm

I bought a Logitech USB headset which came with SkypeOut credits, which we used to call friends/relatives overseas. The first few tries, we had to try a second time with each call to get through, and it cut out during one call. Last couple of tries have been ok.

If I were to use VOIP seriously, I'd sign up for NodePhone, which has been done properly, and only costs a little bit more per second.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Skype to Skype is perfect ... I've noticed some lag with talking to some ppl in EU

Now that Yahoo! own Skype ... it's hard to say. I'm not a fan of Yahoo!'s other offerings.
    I code, I eat and I'm hungry for more.

Sikosis

Just to clarify it was Ebay who purchased Skype not Yahoo.

Ebay intends to integrate it into their site so Buyers and sellers can talk for free anywhere in the world.

I have used Skype a bit and a friend calls me with Skypeout. Both ways, it is a bit spotty but I use headphones with internal mic, I'm sure with a headset it would be better.

I have just recently joined up (for free) to iinetphone (with my ISP iinet) and am using it with a softphone:

x-lite: http://www.xten.com/index.php

and after playing around with the adjustments it is working quite well, and at 10c untimed calls local and capital city it is way cheaper than PSTN.

Still testing it out a bit before making the leap and buying a new modem with VOIP ATA in order to connect my regular phone to it, then I'll be able to use the cordless to make and recieve calls. The advantage of this over Skype, for the meantime is being given a voip phone number that people can call you at. Also, there is no flagfall for making a call.....

iinet: http://www.iinet.net.au/index.html

I've used iinet for over 4 years now, great, reliable broadband connection, now with to 12000kb/sec download being rolled out, the VERY BEST pricing you can find, and now also VOIP with great rates.... I suggest anyone looking for a new ISP to check it out.

you're all welcome to contact me for any help with setting up voip.
    :P :P :P :P :P :P
    iMac 27" i5 four core 2.66ghz 4GB , Macbook core 2 duo white 2.0ghz 2GB RAM, iPod 4G 40GB B&W, iMac G3 500mhz 768MB RAM 160GB HD "dalmation". lots of technology, lots of sex.

Originally posted by minardifan@Sep 14 2005, 10:06 AM
    Sikosis

Just to clarify it was Ebay who purchased Skype not Yahoo.

Ebay intends to integrate it into their site so Buyers and sellers can talk for free anywhere in the world.
    Yahoo! owns Ebay ...

edit: forgot the ! :P

Sikosis

Not sure where you get Yahoo owns e-bay.

Both are listed on Nasdeq and according to SEC filings I can't see any cross ownership.

Indeed Yahoo just spent a small fortune in China buying China'a largest auction site, which competes with E-bays auction site there (August 2005).

I'm sure I saw it at the bottom of their site ... "a Yahoo Company" ... hrmm oh well, I must have had too much crack this morning :P

China is also very worried about Skype ... cos it's encrypted phone calls.

Plus I think it's an awful idea to be able to talk with sellers/buyers. I wouldn't want to put something up for sale, then to have any Tom, Dick or Harriet ringing my Skype.

Much like the time some guy in Europe called my house at 2am in the morning and woke me up.

I don't think skype/ebay is such a bad idea.

- it would be opt in
    - users can turn skype on/off
    - users could have unique skype accounts for their ebay dealings
    - it increases trust ... call me old-fashioned but talking to a person makes me feel a bit more secure than firing emails across the ether.

Having said that I will be surprised if ebay just confine skype development to ebay integration. I think skype is showing all the traits of being the ipod of voip (trademark pending ). At present it is the only voip with global brand recognition ... can you see voip damaging traditional telcos in the same way that ipod's have destroyed the walkman/discman/minidisc players?
    ---
    MTAU member since 2005!
    Owner of Bags in Motion - selling urban and commuter cycling gear.

Much like the time some guy in Europe called my house at 2am in the morning and woke me up.
    Or the time some random Chinese guy thought Id be helpful for practicing his terrible English and wouldn't take no for an answer.
    half goon half god: The same should go for people shoving 'Mac' in their nick. Unless it's clever, NO.

I guess the Skype discussion is mostly positive. I have checked the Download and it appears that the only available version is for OSX 10.3.x
    My problem is I cannot upgrade past 10.2.8 as I am on ISDN which telstra advise no knowledge of fixing bugs when users go 10.3 or >
    I read a post somehwhere that a user was using any earlier release. Does anyone know of a version available for a poor Jaguar user? And if so, where it could be found?
    The attraction of course, is that it is FREE.
    The Usual Suspect

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast