Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The John Larroquette Conspiracy

G'day,

In 1993 (1994 in Oz) a sitcom hit the airwaves titled "The John Larroquette Show". A dark comedy about a recovering alcoholic trying to hold down the managers night-shift at a New Orleans bus station, the first season was an amazing televisual feast for anyone who was sick of Seinfeld, or Mad About You, or Frasier.

VIDEO NO WORKY

Sadly, the execs said the show was too dark, and from season two the show began to lighten, and thus cease to be what had made it so remarkable in its first 24 episodes.

Despite that fact, it somehow lasted 4 seasons, and brought us, if no one else, Chi McBride, the amazingly gruff teddybear who we later saw in such shows and movies as Boston Public, Gone in 60 Seconds, and Pushing Daisies.

The Conspiracy

This show is more elusive than the owner of a fart in a jacuzzi!

I sadly didn't have the foresight to tape this show, except for a couple of episodes. It seems that very few others were so clever either. NBC have so far refused to release the series, even just the amazing first season, on VHS or DVD.

To date, pretty much the only avenue for anyone wanting to revisit this series, ironically (for anyone who remembers the episode about bootlegging) is via one or two websites that offer bootleg off-air VHS converted DVD copies - for around US$100+.

Recently a youtube account was created, and considerable snippets of the show were uploaded... all of very high quality... but the account quickly disappeared, and the videos with it.

Torrents of the show disappear soon after they appear also, and sadly those that are available (not that I of course would condone using them, of course) are of very poor quality.

Let's hope management at NBC die, and their replacements realise what they are holding back...

This is a Dark Ride.

cheers

cosmic
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 3rd June 2010 at 10:16 PM.
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

I loved that show

edit: he's on twitter why don't you ask him?

Ooh, a reason to join Twitter... wonder if I could...

I try not to hold Ritchie Rich against John... he was great in House a season or two ago. I'd never really seen any of his stuff til this show... then kept an eye out for him, cos pretty much anything I've seen him in since has been great. And TJLS has just always been (one of) my holy grail... Am tempted again now to scroll through all my old VHSes to see if I can turn up any other episodes I may have taped... though sadly I am sure I only got a few in S2. (and finale of S1 yay)
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

you need to watch Night Court!

I have only heard of Night Court because of JL, but just yesterday watched a clip of it featuring JL as the lawyer for a hick, played by Brent Spiner, accused of damaging his neighbour's property due to exploding chickens... Certainly looks like a fun show!

it was really great in its day, definitely check it out!

It's not humanly possible for me to care less.

---
    Edit 2013 - ?? Dark ride indeed. Thread possibly edited for content...
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 8th October 2013 at 10:42 AM.

Vzzzbx's Avatar Vzzzbx is offline There is a god and his name is NOT Bob Ellis

I remember that show! Had a really good balance of humour and pathos, and was groundbreaking for its time. Nobody in America dared to do anything like it. Didn't 9 run it here?

Avoid the last year or two of Night Court. It got REALLY bad. Replace it with the 30 Rock episode that reunited three of them (but not John Laroquette).

I LOVED Night Court and used to watch the John Laroquette Show just because of him. I had a satisfied giggle when John turned up on Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by gehenna View Post
    you need to watch Night Court!

that was a very cool show.
    There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
    We do not believe this to be a coincidence. Jeremy S. Anderson

I'd guess it was 9 who showed it - it was on 8 in Darwin, which was a 9 affiliate. They showed it at around 11pm on Wed or Thurs nights... I'm pretty sure they only showed the first 2 seasons in Darwin; not sure about the rest of the country - not that they are apparently worth watching.

What's an iP... od?

Just watched the last of the 3 episodes I found a little while ago... (the first 3 of the series)

Physically choked from laughing so hard.

I wondered what that show was! I only saw some episodes. It did seem very interesting. I remember him being very snide or het-up or something. I'd like to watch the full season.
    Successful transactions with tintinaujapon, sillydog701, decryption, ken-f, macmine, LaPastenague, Jordan M, leon, NathR32, trickcycle, froggy, scruffie, benerrol, hawker, midnight_e, loc04t, fission.

Teaser intro for ep3.

Young Punk with muli coloured mohawk walks into the bus station, drawing a fair bit of attention. He asks John - What are you looking at? Didn't you do anything crazy when you were young?

John replies - Absolutely... I once had sex with a parrot. (stares more closely at the guy's hair) I'm just wondering if you're my offspring.

John's character is witty, dark humoured, certainly snide at times, especially when still dealing with the alcoholism, and yet always likeable.

So as Cartman once sang, was Night Court actually lame in the 5th season?

Both John Larroquette and Oliver Platt were brilliant as White House Counsel on the West Wing.

Cosmichobo, you've reached your private-message limit.
    Successful transactions with tintinaujapon, sillydog701, decryption, ken-f, macmine, LaPastenague, Jordan M, leon, NathR32, trickcycle, froggy, scruffie, benerrol, hawker, midnight_e, loc04t, fission.

Quote Originally Posted by gehenna
    This message has been deleted by gehenna. Reason: sorry, can't let you post links to tv torrents
    Told you it was a conspiracy...

Yeah, sorry, shouldn't oughtta of done that. My bad. I'm sure anyone wanting to find those kinds of files know how to use Google to search for John Larroquette torrent.

-----

Apparently before John himself deleted his Twitter account, he commented on the bootleggers, and did hint that the show may be released on DVD...

I see Alison La Placa guested on Til Death... another sitcom she's killed...

VIDEO NO WORKY

Complete JLS... possibly not many seeders at moment but has all of S1 in there...

(link removed by myself cos I'm Mr Ethical today, but really it's not that hard to find now if you look)
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 8th October 2013 at 10:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast