Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default PS3 Media Server

Hey there,

I'm looking to get some advice on how people have their Macs streaming to their PS3's

I'm currently using PS3 Media Server but can't seem to get a consistant good quality stream. Some movies are good, others skip every few seconds.

I have gone through the settings on the PS3 Media Server App but nothing seems to work.

I am running a Macbook Pro 15' i7
    Netcom NB6W
    PS3 of course
    And my ISP is Internode with very good speeds

Any posts on how anyone has things set up please let me know.

Thanks

D

I use MediaLink from NullRiver

It only costs $20 and seems to work pretty well. I mainly use a mac mini for my media playback so I don't use MediaLink day to day however it seems to have become more stable over time and is now pretty solid.

I tried a 720p MKV today and it worked flawlessly over 802.11N from my imac (2008 Alu), works great for music and photos too.

PS3 Media server works fine for me mostly though sometimes if i leave it paused for a while causes it to not continue but by restarting the movie and going to the same point works fine that is the worst i have had but i use gigabit ethernet cabled to ps3 so bandwidth not an issue. i wish it would get updated though as the program is the cause of most issues no the files themselves if it could allow higher bandwidth allocation then it would work much better.

I use Playback which is really easy to use, you can access media from external drives as well as the Mac. It just costs $19.

Check the videos at Playback | Yazsoft
    iMac 27" i7 3.5Ghz 512 SSD| iPhone XS Max Black 64Gb | MacBook Pro 15" 500GB SSD

I use PS3 Media Server, have no issues with streaming to PS3, previously used MediaLink as well, but had some issues quite a while back.

How are you connecting your Macbook and PS3 to the network, via Ethernet or over Wireless? If it is over wireless then that could be part of your issue.
    MacPro 3,1 Octo 2.8 | 24" iMac C2D 2.16 | MacBook C2D 2.16

I use TVMOBiLi - I found it recently, it takes some playing with the firewall if you have the firewall on, but otherwise it's really good after you've set it up.

I was streaming some HD stuff over it over wifi and it worked great (no skipping etc)

Quote Originally Posted by sleek881 View Post
    I use Playback which is really easy to use, you can access media from external drives as well as the Mac. It just costs $19.
    Another vote for Playback.

I used to use MediaLink but it could be fussy and became unusable when Snow Leopard was released, I'm not sure if they've fixed it because it looks like it's still on the last alpha release.

I was initially reluctant to spend more money on software to stream video to the PS3 after having paid for Medialink but I forked out for Playback and have been happy ever since. It's much much more reliable, Medialink used to drop out all the time, transcoding was iffy and thumbnails never worked either.
    2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, G4 Cube, 2 x Colour Classic, 840AV, iPhone, iPad

+1 for playback its just too simple.

i had a small skipping problem with long movies, files with more than 20 minutes of video over wifi if you plan to use this for constant quality plug it into a network cable.
    MBP 13" 1TB 4gb 2.2ghz : iPhone 3G[S] 16gb : Apple TV 2g : iPad 2 16g WiFi

copy the files to the PS3 if you have the time. i stream most of them, but the ones that stutter, i copy down to the PS3 then delete.
    .: iPhone 3GS - 32gig - black .:. iMac 24" Intel .:. iPad 64gig Wi-Fi + 3G .:. 2011 17" MBP :.

i did give PS3 Media Server a go, but prefer Rivet...

Rivet - Stream your music, movies, and photos to your Xbox and PS3

never looked at Playback, but Rivet is very easy to setup and use
    15" MacBook Pro C2D 2.6Ghz 6Gb RAM, 320GB 7200 HDD, 512 VRAM & 23" Cinema Display
    3g iPod 30GB & 4g iPod photo 60GB & 512Mb shuffle & 2g shuffle & iPod touch 8GB
    & 3G iPhone 16Gb

flickr

Hey thanks for the replies... Yeah I use a WIFI connection, so I would assume that is whats causing the issues. It's just weird why it happens some some movies but not others (same file size and quality etc...)

But yeah I have been copying to PS3 when it doesn't work, then just delete once I am done. Thanks again for the input.

Just tired Rivet, and same issues with some crappy quality episodes of Family Guy. Do you guys use Handbrake? What settings do you find work best?

Slightly off topic, but I don't use software at all!

I've got a cheap Iomega 1tb Media Server drive - paid $169 brand new - that has a uPNP server.

Plugged into an ethernet port on my Airport Extreme. Everything streams perfectly and no macs need to be on for it to work.

Can't recommend it highly enough. Save your Mac for work.

I use EyeConnect and it works EXTREMELY well.

I used to use Medialink but it would encounter dropouts at times to tried the demo of EyeConnect and never had a problem. I believe it supports a wider range of files too.
     iPhone 4 16GB
     27" i5 iMac

I just downloaded Playback and it plays files from my movies folder fine but when i try to play files from iTunes it stutters alot. The files are not from the iTunes store they are dvds converted with Handbrake. Anyone know whats going on?

One thing I've found with streaming to the PS3, wireless is USELESS!

Most large encodes struggle to get through due to the lack of bandwidth. Stick the PS3 on LAN wherever possible even if it has to be a wireless bridge. The PS3's wireless isn't worth dealing with.

If you're on LAN already though, don't know, sorry.
     iPhone 4 16GB
     27" i5 iMac

I cannot even get my PS3 to even connect to my wifi from my AirPort Extreme. Pity they are in different rooms, so I cannot hook up an ethernet link.

Even though my Mac Mini is right next to the PS3, it cannot seem to recognise the ethernet connection. I cannot understand why it would not work. So, only can I not update the firmware, the PS3 refuses to stream anything. So to me, it's a useless alternative to a media server. Luckily my Mac Mini with a 2TB drive is my HTPC that is directly connected to my LED LCD TV and home theatre receiver.
    | MacBook Air 11" | Mac Mini 2011| iPhone 5 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB | iPod Nano 4GB | iPod Hi-Fi | AirPort Extreme |
    | Traded | Huy | Alessiman | DagrtheSnide | alan7948 | iCameron | chris | dsiew |

I just solved my problem, the PS3 didn't like .m4v files for some reason. I converted them to .mp4 with iSquint and they play perfectly. Hopefully that helps some people.

Your problem lays mostly with the crappy WiFi built into the PS3.

PS3 is only 802.11b/g and as such generally chokes on high bit rate files.

You will find that the streaming improves tenfold if you use ethernet cable or an EoP (Ethernet over Power) system.

Out of frustration I reverted to ethernet and have not had any issues.

i havent ever had a major problem with ps3 media server,
    just the usual buffer stutter but thats fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast