Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question How will you upgrade/purchase your next generation iPhone?

I've had this discussion a number of times with friends and colleagues who are just about out of their original iPhone contracts, or just keen to upgrade.

How will you upgrade or purchase the next generation iPhone?

Personally, I wil never sign up for a mobile contract again. Plans change so often that I think you can get better value and flexibility on a month to month basis. (my needs are quite basic)

Previously I signed up for a 12 months plan with Optus for the iPhone 3G, then sold it on eBay and bought a 3GS outright which I took overseas and now is on Telstra prepaid.

For the next iPhone I will keep my 3GS as a spare and buy the new one outright and keep it on Telstra prepaid.

edit: this was meant to be a poll, but it took me too long to get the options how I wanted it.
    Last edited by jesse; 26th April 2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Poll timeout fail

I got the 3GS outright, so I'll rock up to an Apple store, walk out with an outright and unlocked 4th-gen iPhone and slide in my current Telstra SIM (or get a replacement microSIM).

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    I got the 3GS outright, so I'll rock up to an Apple store, walk out with an outright and unlocked 4th-gen iPhone and slide in my current Telstra SIM (or get a replacement microSIM).

Same here, I'll sell the 3GS then to cover some of the cost of the new one.
    Trades with, Huy, PatrickH, tkilik11, chris, Taezar, bennyling, Simo, stewiesno1, MissionMan, cgollner, napes, mechcon, lama323, snagage, ClockWork, Beau, Rasta, Freeze, Petecario, Simmo, Tokevmur, Beaner, thebookfreak58, Boddiz, neg2led, Foxy

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeddi View Post
    Same here, I'll sell the 3GS then to cover some of the cost of the new one.
    I find the resale value of a good condition, top model, unlocked previous generation iPhone can totally make a new outright purchase affordable.

Save up, buy it outright. Contracts ftl.

I will go outright again but afraid I will have to use the online store and wait patiently for the mailman After dragging my wife into this new age of technology by giving her a iPod touch she will 'inherit' my 3GS.
    test for sig

My 24 months with Optus will be up in July so whenever the new iPhone comes out I'll be ready to ditch my 3G and go for the upgrade at the Apple Store. I'm thinking Vodafone this time. Free tethering and visual voicemail sounds like heaven.

Stealing your wifi somewhere in southbank

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I'm thinking Vodafone this time. Free tethering and visual voicemail sounds like heaven.
    It is.
    I'm the conduit through which the world views the soft underbelly of women's erotic desires.

Quote Originally Posted by iCantwait View Post
    It is.
    Too bad their 3g keeps dropping out.

I'd like to get it but unfortunately, I stupidly signed up to a 24month contract with Voda.

Will see how funds go this year when its out

I am with Optus - I just don't know! I do not like Tel$tra, but with my growing frustration with Opt$s, I think my next iPhone will be back with the Dark Empire.

will be selling me 3gs and get new one outright
     Retina Macbook pro 15" (2012), iPhone 5 16gb, iPad Mini 64gb,
    Mac Mini 2.0 ghz (2009) using as Media Centre, 

iPhone 1st gen = Bought outright in Hong Kong.
    iPhone 3G = Signed up with Optus for 24 months.
    iPhone 3GS = Broke contract with Optus and signed up with Vodafone for 24 months (smart move, better 3G, VVM and tethering are great).
    iPhone HD = I will buy the 16GB model (or the "cheaper, but quickest" model) outright, from an Apple Store.

I'll be lining up on the morning of release, probably at the Doncaster Apple Store

iPhone 3G 16GB put on a 12month optus contract on July 11th, 2008 8:10am

Currently using the same iPhone 3G 16GB on a Telstra NextG SIM with no contract.

Telstra current iPhone plans don't impress me so I'll probably have to buy outright the new iPhone due mid year and get Telstra to swap me over to a Micro-SIM which I hope they don't charge too much for.

Although Telstra NextG pre-paid does look tempting, I'm just too lazy to do all the top ups and manage my usage that anally.
     MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz,8Gb,128Gb SSD  iMac 27", 16GB, 256GB SSD  iPhone 5,  iPhone 4S,  iPhone 4 32Gb  iPad 3 64Gb

I signed with Optarse in July 2008 for 24months on the $79 plan which really works out to be $96 with paper fee..phone cost ect..

Then unlocked and moved to Telstra PrePaid as I was sick of Optus shit network.

Now I pay $30 on Telstra prepaid and it always works, so this time I will be purchasing the phone outright and staying with Telstra PrePaid.
    twitter | flickr | Blog | My Website
    20" Aluminium iMac 16GB White iPhone Black MacBook Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by klif View Post
    swap me over to a Micro-SIM
    Oh yeah, forgot about that. Hmm. Voda had better be pretty nice about swapping my SIM, or I'll be switching to Telstra (good network FTW).

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

I've been promising my best friend an iPhone since 2008, so I'll probably sell my 3G and use that + my tax return for a pair of iPhones bought outright. I'll throw my work SIM into mine and let him figure out whatever the hell he wants with his :P

Giving my iPhone 3G to my mum and buying a 4th gen iPhone outright. Got a Telstra plan with my 3G and I've been getting reamed by it ever since. A happy chappy I am not. After seeing posted here on MacTalk how much more flexible and better value for money Teltra's prepaid is I'll be going with that I think.
    If it is hidden, it is the flower - Zeami, Noh playwright

I own my 3G but use a sim on a Telstra plan from work.
    Will see what happens... my 3G is about dead anyway, so I might get a new one that way.

My mate just opened his own Mobile phone business so I'll get it through him at wholesale. He should be able to get them as "demo" handsets and hence get some good tax breaks on a few so will be able to get it cheaper. If all else fails I'll just call some contacts from when I worked at Voda and get my contract renewed. It's how I have an iPhone 3G, with a BB 9700 and HTC in my drawer :-) Its all about who ya know in this world these days!
    MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display | AppleTV 2nd Gen | iPhone 6+ | iPad Mini 4G & WiFi | iPod Classic 160GB
    Twitter: @troybarter | "Men lie, women lie; Numbers don't." - Jay-Z

Cancel my 2 year contract with Vodafone that I started in October 09 (32GB 3GS), and sell the phone on ebay. Hoping the resale of the phone will mostly cover the cost of cancelling the contract. Purchase new and most fancy model from Apple online store. Switch to Telstra prepaid.

Ollie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast