Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

I was just wondering how you uninstall programs.. i usually just erase and reinstall OSX because thats what i like to do.. but.. i wouldnt mind learning how to just uninstall programs...

thanks..

most programs can be dragged to the trash to be un installed.

Sometimes you have to delete preferences from your library, usually a search for the program's name will reveal those files.

There is no registry or anything like on PC that needs to be uninstalled from. Just drag and drop.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

Originally posted by Disko@Jul 21 2004, 01:14 PM

Sometimes you have to delete preferences from your library, usually a search for the program's name will reveal those files.

There is no registry or anything like on PC that needs to be uninstalled from. Just drag and drop.
    *zen accidentally dragged and drop his Applications folder into the bin on the second day he got it

just GREAT&#33; <_<
    Rockin' with - 11" 1.4Ghz 2Gb Ram 64Gb SSD MacBook Air | 17" 2.53Ghz i5 8Gb Ram 200Gb SSD MacBook Pro | 27" 2.66Ghz i5 iMac | AirPort Express | 16GB Black iPhone 5 | 16GB White iPad Mini

zen,

I&#39;m seven months behind your post about dropping Applications folder into the Trash, but I can relate to dropping the wrong things in the wrong places. In 1995 when I bought my first Mac, a Performa 580, I accidentally dropped a letter to a friend in the printer icon instead of the Trash . . . and somewhere in the system there&#39;s a mention of it still there over 9 years later&#33;
    Thinking about what next to think about . . . . . . . . .
    24" iMac: 15" iMac G4 "lampshade" 12" Performa 580

Originally posted by Disko@Jul 21 2004, 01:14 PM

Sometimes you have to delete preferences from your library, usually a search for the program&#39;s name will reveal those files.

I&#39;d also like to learn a little more about this...

What other sorts of things can you delete after you&#39;ve thrown the application package into the trash and deleted it?
    I did a search in Finder for a recently uninstalled application (Quicksilver), and came up with a .plist inside the preference folder, and also an empty Quicksilver folder inside Cache and Application Support.

Are these deletable also? Or am I better off letting some maintenance program like Onyx delete all these unnecessary files/folders for me?

I&#39;ve just recently switched as well, and I guess too many years double checking my PC registry or shared dlls makes me worry about unwanted files.

Today I removed Thunderbird from my machine, here&#39;s how I did it.

I opened Finder, selected Macintosh HD and then typed &#39;thunderbird&#39; in the search box. I then dragged all the resulting files to Trash from Finder. That&#39;s it, the application and all it&#39;s associated files are gone.

CR

What CarbonRods said - a great method of uninstalling. Trinidad, you can remove a plist if you like - they&#39;re just the preference files i mentioned in my previous post. The only application that will use them is whichever one you&#39;d removed already.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

Ahh.. Thanks for sharing that info&#33;