Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Strange Wifi Speed issue on MacBook

Hi I have a MacBook unibody and for the last week i thought there was an issue with my ADSL connection or itunes as i was not getting the speed i used to get when downloading.

It turns out that it is a wifi issue. But only when i am downloading from the net. I am connected to the airport extreme using the the N wifi, the speed i get from itunes downloading a movie is around 50-100 KB/s. if i use 2 other mac's at my house they gets around 940KB/s. These iMac's are using wifi too one on N and the other on G

When i plug the MacBook in using the ethernet i get around 900KB/s.

Now when i get a file (700meg) from another mac on my network the Macbook will retrieve it at 9.1 MB/s on ethernet, 7.1 MB/s on N and 5.5 on G. The speed is fine.

When i download using wifi it bombs out. Does this sound like a faulty wifi card in the MacBook?

Cheers.

Damien
     RIP Steve Jobs 1955-2011 

It might be software related, rather than hardware.

You could search for topics related to 'delayed ACK' , although I think that mainly affects copying files from SMB shares or other computers.
    You could also check whether the MTU set in your Airport ethernet config matches that on your router.
    Live life with Blue Sun