Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Last week my powerbook was running at 19 degrees constantly. this week i turn it on and it says cpu temp is 50c! i havent done anything unusual over the weekend with it. even when im not running memory intensive apps and its just sitting there, i still get 50 degrees.

does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this, and should i take it to the applecentre to get it checked out?

thanks guys.

I never saw my powerbook running below 45 degrees in the time i had it. Are you sure it was running at 19?
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

I just got the temperature off a widget i use (ministat) if there is another way to measure cpu temp, im all ears. but if 50c isnt unusual, i wont get worried then. maybe the widget wasnt working properly

JimWOz's Avatar JimWOz is offline 56 no. ...and still seeing it big as a footy

Talking

My PB G4 15 inch 1.5GHz, bottom side of processor, is sitting at 50 C now, as it usually does.
    19 C sounds like the widget was previously monitoring a different temperature sensor to me.

ie DON'T PANIC. B)
    MBP15 i7 2.2 16G/1TB/120SSD, MB C2D2.4 Black, MB2.0 Black, PBG4/15/1.5, PMG4 MDD, iMacG3/333, Epson1410, HPLJ5200DN, HP ML115 Ubuntu Server, Airport Extreme+Express N. In the closet: HP DC7600 PC, PBG4/12/867, PBG3/333, PM6200, PB5300C, SE30, SE.

How do I find out the temp of my iBook G4 cpu?
    2.26ghz Macbook
    iPhone 4

thanks heaps for that. i was thinking 19 degrees was pretty cold for a computer, i mean even my old pc would only go down to mid 20's in the middle of winter.

^^^ there is a program called temperature monitor, just google mac temperature monitor to find it. otherwise, run a search on the apple widget site.

Thanks. downloaded Temp monitor. My ibook is running at Processor:43.2 deg C, Graphics Processor 47 deg C.
    2.26ghz Macbook
    iPhone 4