Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Will the 4th edition be cheaper?

I saw a story that claimed that if you wish to read the Wall Street Journal via the iPad you will pay a monthly subscription of $20.

When I was at university, we would be told to get a specific textbook and a specific edition. Such as the 4th edition for example.

I would always find the 3rd edition for sale second hand and all 3 editions would be found in the library.

Now that we are slowing migrating to electronic books: If I have proof of ownership of the 3rd edition of a book and want the 4th edition, do I have to pay full price or can I buy it at a discount?
    -

Currently you have to pay to view all content on WSJ. The iPad pricing* is reduced on what it normally costs.

If you wish to buy something that you have in physical format currently, but in e-book format you will need to pay for that.

I'm not sure these two things are related though.

*pricing has been leaked... nobody knows if it's for real
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Try again:

Buy a book in electronic format.

Some years later another edition is published in electronic format.

If I own the earlier edition is the later editon cheaper?

Is there any real benefit to migrating to electronic books?

-

Upgrade pricing on books would be great, especially in an academic setting! I am yet to see anything mentioning this though. I know some publishers let you download the updated chapters if you own a previous edition. I am pretty sure one of my Mike Meyers A+ certification books did that.
    Note: Any advertising image that may appear in my post is placed there automatically by this site and is not endorsed by me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe98 View Post
    If I own the earlier edition is the later editon cheaper?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by tcn33 View Post
    No.
    What tcn33 meant to say is. we won't know until the iBook store is live, and this sort of thing begins to happen.

Well, kinda, but what I really meant was "no way in hell".

Textbook publishers have two options: take advantage of the massively lower costs associated with printing and distribution and pass that on in the form of discounted "upgrades"; or, faced with the inevitable fact of their entrenched model dying a speedy death, claw frantically for every last dollar they can - up to and including their stubborn refusal to offer any discount whatsoever for buying an iPad version over the dead tree equivalent.

Call me a cynic but I know which one I'm tipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaste View Post
    I am pretty sure one of my Mike Meyers A+ certification books did that.
    Totally off topic but its good to see someone with an A+ certification on these boards

Quote Originally Posted by Joe98 View Post

Is there any real benefit to migrating to electronic books?

-
    No.
    Sick of Bullshit? Go here
    www.youngausskeptics.com

iBook 14'' 1GB Ram, MBP(santa) 15" 4GB ram, iPod Nano(3G) 4gb, iPod shuffle 512mb, iPod Touch 8gb.

Quote Originally Posted by Alessiman View Post
    Totally off topic but its good to see someone with an A+ certification on these boards
    haha sorry to burst your bubble. I bought the book but I never did the test. It is on my list of things to do though!
    Note: Any advertising image that may appear in my post is placed there automatically by this site and is not endorsed by me personally.