Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Question AVI support in iPhone OS 3.2?

I have read on engadget a little snippet about the next iPhone OS revision having support for avi.

The way it was casually announced in the article was interesting too, suggesting Apple had confirmed this.

iPad mute switch magicked into a 'screen rotation lock' overnight, a flurry of other tidbits emerge -- Engadget

Has anyone else seen this suggested elsewhere?

There's not a chance in hell

Quote Originally Posted by Cybix View Post
    There's not a chance in hell
    My thoughts exactly.

Plus avi is such an old format, it wouldn't make a lot of sense. But I thought I'd toss it out there and see if anyone else had seen this from any other source.

The support is only for M-JPEG in the AVI container. Do not expect your iPad to play any of your downloaded movies or TV shows.
    MacBook Pro 15.4"/2.4GHz i5/8GB/500GB/Hi Res, Mac Mini 2.4GHz/4GB/320GB, iPad 2G 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G
    iPhone 4 32GB, 3GS 16GB iPod 5G 60GB Classic, 6G 16GB nano, 4G 8GB nano, 2G 2GB nano, Nike+iPod
    Apple TV 2G Airport Extreme x2, Express x2

Plus anything that isn't H.264 isnt' hardware accelerated. Watch your battery life disappear before the movie is over.

Some old cameras often record in M-JPEG AVI.
    Mac mini and iPad: Mac mini (Mid 2011) Core i5 2.3 GHz 2GB RAM, Thunderbolt Display, Mac OS X 10.7, iPad 32GB (Wi-Fi), Apple TV (160GB)

Macjorsh's Avatar Macjorsh is offline I think my girlfriend understands.... She didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by aafuss View Post
    Some old cameras often record in M-JPEG AVI.
    "support for additional formats (AVI and MJPEG) and native uploads to Facebook -- further boosting the iPad's external camera friendliness"

Its for the camera adapter for the iPad.
    Proud owner of: MacBook Air, TV G3, TV G2, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 64GB, iMac 27" i7, iMac C2D 20", Power Mac G5, MacMini G4, iBook G4, TV, iPhone 3G, iPhone, Newton 2100, Macintosh Classic, Power Macintosh, Amiga 1200 040, Ipod 60GB,

This is from the ipad spec page. What's the last format mean??

TV and video
    Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter;*576p and 480p with Apple*Component*AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple*Composite*AV Cable
    H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (m-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

That is basically supporting what was posted earlier - it will open .AVI files but can only playback the audio if it is ulaw of PCM, and only playback the video if it is MJPEG.

So it's basically useless for TV shows and movie rips.

But it does give the H.264 video spec for the iPad which I haven't seen anywhere else before now.