Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default The Fat Kid From St. Albans is Going to New York for an iPad!

Everyone does something crazy in their life - buying a Harley Davidson, shaving your hair off, getting an earring or a tattoo whilst drunk, buying that really cool item off the Home Shopping Network - there's plenty of things that seemed like an awesome idea at the time. For me, the first time was sleeping overnight on George Street to be 8th in line for the opening of Sydney's flagship Apple Store. That was fun.

Now I'll be doing it again, but 17,000km away - in New York City, a small place somewhere in the USA, which is a whole different country. The iPad is being released a month earlier in the USA than in Australia, which bums me out, as I'm an impatient nerd with too much time on his hands. I can't explain it, but gadgets are what I live for. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't gamble, don't stay out all night and don't have any other vices except for a terrible technology addiction. Plus it's a great excuse to see one of the world's most amazing cities - so why not!?

I'll be with Mr. Peter Wells (aka fulltimecasual - you may have heard him on the MacTalk podcast before he moved up to Sydney), camping out in front of the glorious glass cube of Apple's Fifth Avenue store, waiting to get our hands on iPads. We hope to be the first dorks in line for the iPad at Apple's flagship store in NYC.

This trip is partially being funded by some other diehard Apple fans who can't wait one month for an iPad either - my comrades, my brothers in arms, my people. I'm going to be bringing back as many iPads as possible to the people who have pre-paid for them. They'll be one of the few people in Australia to have an iPad on Monday the 5th of April, a whole couple of weeks before anyone else! If you want an iPad before anyone else in the country, ping me and I'll send you some info as there may be a couple of spots left.

Pete (leaving Sydney) and I (leaving Melbourne) will be leaving for NYC on the 26th of March and arriving back on the 5th of April (on Qantas and an A380 - the aviation nerd in me is excited too). I will be blogging the entire adventure here on MacTalk and on my Twitter account. We'll have videos, photos and blog posts as often as we can do them whilst we're in New York, as well as a couple of posts leading up to the start of the trip.

It should be an interesting journey, as I've never been overseas and I don't even have a passport. Or luggage. Or clothes appropriate for a cold New York spring. Wish me luck.

You're gonna have a blast.

While you're in line you'll be well fed (sorta). On each of those corners (to the left and right in your picture) you've got pretzel/hot nuts/hot dog/soft drink carts. Plus the shop on the right in the building behind the cube (the GM building) is FAO Schwarz, a massive toy store with a huge lolly section (plus it has the big piano from the 80's movie Big).

Me at 5th Ave Apple Store...
    Last edited by Bogus Jimmy; 8th March 2010 at 09:43 PM.
    MacBook Pro 15.4"/2.4GHz i5/8GB/500GB/Hi Res, Mac Mini 2.4GHz/4GB/320GB, iPad 2G 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G
    iPhone 4 32GB, 3GS 16GB iPod 5G 60GB Classic, 6G 16GB nano, 4G 8GB nano, 2G 2GB nano, Nike+iPod
    Apple TV 2G Airport Extreme x2, Express x2

Godspeed you shameless geeks.
    Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.

- Cicero (106BC-43BC)

so lame it's awesome cool.

customs? just wondering how you explain the contents of your suitcase.

Much envy here.
    Good luck, & have fun!!!
     27" iMac i7  iPad 64GB WiFi  iPhone 5 64GB White 

Default Re: The Fat Kid From St. Albans is Going to New York for an iPad!

iPad dealer - 5 years imprisonment! How early do you plan to lineup? I guess it's cheap accomodation.
    The family:
    iPod Nano Graphite 8GB 6th Gen / iPhone 4 32GB Black / iPad 2 16GB wifi
    iMac 21.5" / Mac Mini / AirPort Extreme / AirPort Express

May your pilgrimage to the holy land of The Cube be a fulfilling and successful one, overflowing with iPads and nerd-gasams. Another little thing to add: if you guys get #1 and #2 in line, you will be more than just the first Australians to own an iPad. You will be the first people in the whole world to own one (or ten...) due to the timezones.
    Last edited by jack112006; 8th March 2010 at 09:41 PM.
     iPod nano 8GB 3rd Gen - iPod touch 16GB - 20" Aluminum iMac 2.0 GHz - iPhone 3G 16GB White - 15" Unibody MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz - iPhone 3GS 16GB Black - iPad 16GB Wi-Fi - iPhone 4 32GB Black

Should be a fun adventure. Can't wait to read about it. Does the A380 have wifi you can use?

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

While you're gone, who's in charge? Also, if there be an unfortunate accident and you don't return, who are you leaving MacTalk to?
    Once you go Mac, you never go back...

Can I just say... just forget sight seeing - go straight there and get 1st place. Even if that means standing in front of the doors whilst they're actually serving other customers on the days leading up to Day 1.

That'll get media attention.
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

5th avenue was my first port of call when I was in NY a while back, even at 2am it was still exciting.

This is so over-the-top for a gadget but the geek inside is so excited for ya!

Good luck decryption!

So ridiculous it's fantastic.
    Last edited by El Guardo; 8th March 2010 at 10:00 PM.
    Trading Feedback: El Guardo

wow could be good advertising for mactalk.

Is there a limit on how many you can buy?

You should try to visit the mother ship and go to the Apple Company Store in Cupertino!

I am also going to be in the US when the iPad goes on sale, but I will be in Los Angeles on the 4th April.

I was going to wait for the 3G version, but might be tempted to get the wifi version instead.
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Grey, iPad Air 2 -128GB Space Grey, 11" Macbook Air, 27" Core i5 iMac, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme

Is there a personal limit to how many you can buy (let alone take on the plane with you out of the US and back into the country)?

I'm imagining walking up as #1 iPad customer "I'll have 5,000 iPads please...do you ship to Australia?"

You guys are so going to be on the next episode of "Boarder Security" trying to explain yourselves.
    This opinion intentionally left blank.

Actually, it's probably worth giving Customs a call, decryption... in all seriousness, just in case it will save you time/hassle if there is particular forms/etc to complete before actually arriving back in the country with a commercial quantity of electronics goods...
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Great stuff! I will be in the US the week after Easter, so was planning on bringing one back before they go on sale here.

Quote Originally Posted by El Guardo View Post
    So ridiculous it's fantastic.
    That's exactly it

This is so crazy. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by MacTime View Post
    While you're gone, who's in charge?
    ANARCHY!

Quote Originally Posted by MacTime View Post
    Also, if there be an unfortunate accident and you don't return, who are you leaving MacTalk to?
    With Decryption gone, there won't be unfortunate accidents

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast