Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Why the iPad pricing delay?

Why is Apple delaying the international pricing for the iPad? Obviously the price is not going to be the same as the US (regardless of what country you choose to compare against).

Is it because of the volatility of currency markets or is it likely that there will be a considerable difference between what the Yanks will pay and what we (or the Poms/Kiwis etc) might pay?

I reckon it's because they are sitting in their conference room rocking in the corner in the foetal position trying to work out how to price it!

I mean the 64 gb ipod touch is 549, the iphone ranges from 719 to 1040 and their entry level macbook is 1299.

No matter where they put it it's going to be overlapping other competing products of theirs. All round quite a problem I imagine.

And the stakes are high.

telcos waiting for plans & deals and the fact the ibooks store for australia will be practically empty while we have our current dark age publishing laws

Whether it's legal or not wouldn't change the pricing strategy...

The fact the US price is available, should negate all of the above comments, except the currency issue. They've priced it for the US - it should be easy to carry that over.
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Whether it's legal or not wouldn't change the pricing strategy...

The fact the US price is available, should negate all of the above comments, except the currency issue. They've priced it for the US - it should be easy to carry that over.
    The US price is set because they are a US company that pays for manufacturing using US dollars.

60 days is a long time in the financial market. My guess is they won't set international pricing until a week or two before release when they know what the exchange rate in each market will be. If they set international pricing now and the market changes dramatically in either direction then they will have to change it....hence no point releasing international pricing at this stage.
    This opinion intentionally left blank.

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

time to reprice the iphone too I reckon
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

I thought each "zone" got to price their stuff? (Not that that makes a difference)
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

yea and probably the ipod touch

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_warnock View Post
    telcos waiting for plans & deals and the fact the ibooks store for australia will be practically empty while we have our current dark age publishing laws

It's not dark ages publishing laws. It's the publishers themselves who have set up a system whereby the publishing rights for each market are segregated. It's just like DVD region codes / zone's. And music for that matter.

The problem is, Australia is such a small market it's usually not worth getting the rights for a title that won't have enough sales to *pay* for the costs of distribution within each individual market.

jb
    www.johnbrawley.com
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia ==> I have a BLOG

We will see AU pricing in the mid of feb. As for the iBook store, I think we will get it sooner then later. As with the unit it self there is a lot we don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by brawlster View Post
    It's not dark ages publishing laws. It's the publishers themselves who have set up a system whereby the publishing rights for each market are segregated. It's just like DVD region codes / zone's. And music for that matter.

The problem is, Australia is such a small market it's usually not worth getting the rights for a title that won't have enough sales to *pay* for the costs of distribution within each individual market.

jb
    And that is the problem. It is the old model that attempts to control the availability, price, and competition. With eBooks, there is no physical product, distribution is is a non-issue, and competetition, well that's the crunch, there is no control. I've been purchasing eBooks for nearly 10 years now, reading them on my old Palm3c, Sony Clie NX70, and now my iPhone.

Baen, Fictionwise, (amongst others) have no problems, logistically or otherwise, selling to an international market.

It will be sad to see the same drawn out iTunes music store saga with announcements of availability in country after country for years to come. Remember how long it took for the iTune-AU store to arrive.

One Apple eBook store for all, with the availability of the iPad, that is what I'd like to see.

Quote Originally Posted by IIe2PB View Post

• 64 gb iPod touch is 549
    • iPhone ranges from 719 to 1040
    • entry level macbook is 1299

No matter where they put it it's going to be overlapping other competing products of theirs.
    I was talking to a friend about this last night. I can't imagine the 64GB 3G iPad costing much more than my 32GB 3GS did - and it would only hurt it if it was too close to the cost of a brand new macbook.

I think you'll see a lot of carrier subsidies and 9 year (sic) contracts to push sales along.

Apple Australia need to ascertain the exchange rate for the year ahead. Have you seen the clairvoyants' waiting lists? Tony King isn't Steve Jobs, he can't jump queues easily…

Cheers
    Steffen.
    It's Unix, Jim, but not as we know it...

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    time to reprice the iphone too I reckon
    I agree!!!

Maybe apple are waiting for the us dollar against other country's to benefit from sales
    iPhone 4G 32gb Black , MBP 13-inch: 2.26GHz
    24" iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro,320GB HD  iPad 64gb Wifi + 3G

Well less than a month (hypothetically) till release (well at least the WiFi version), and no sign of AUD prices... nor can we even pre order these yet?!?!?

Come on Apple!!!!!

please?!?!?!?!
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Nothing on dates in the States either. I'm surprised really. Maybe tomorrow night the Store will go down and come back with dates and prices.
    2013 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4/500GB, 2x 27" iMacs, iPhone 5 Black, several iPads.

As Blackboard would say -

HURRY UP, HURRY UP
    The bridge is crossed, so stand and watch it burn.

Maybe Apple is going to wait til 1 April, and then say...

April's Fools...

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Maybe Apple is going to wait til 1 April, and then say...

April's Fools...
    Well April 1st is an Apple anniversary already... But with Steve's aversion to looking backward. I doubt it will happen ;-)
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast