Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Buying in OZ or UK?

Hi guys,

So I'm due to head to the UK on the 30th March (delayed my trip by a day due to the iPad release), and I just wanted to know whether, exchange rate wise, I'd be better off buying it here in OZ or in the UK?

I'm just looking at the basic 16gb Wifi model.

Cheers for any advice...

Given we don't know the price in either country yet it would be hard to advise whether exchange rate wise one or the other has the advantage (but usually I have found that buying anything in the UK is usually more expensive as generally their cost of living is higher anyway).
    Andy
    new imac 21.5", ipod touch, macbook pro, iphone x2, ipod classic, 2 iPads

Buy it here, what better for the flight???

Haha I know melbmac, might be the geekiest thing I've done, delayed a trip back to my homeland for a gadget

Hopefully it will be out by then

I'm in the same dilemma, flying to the UK 31st March. My plan is to go to the Regent Street Apple Store and see what it's like. Then compare the prices/exchange rate at that point.

The big issue with the UK is that it has 17.5% or maybe higher VAT which is basically the same as GST. The difference to Australia for claiming a refund is that you have to buy from a store that has the tourist refund forms and fill them out at the retailer then and there. Pretty sure I've done this at the Apple Store Regent Street, but you don't get back the full tax refund, some of it gets used as an admin charge and I think it varies based on retailer.

Yeah see I know me and I won't be able to wait, looks like I'll be queuing up on the 29th :laugh:

seems were all going to the UK. Im going in May to work there. I would definitely buy here the exchange rate will make the UK price more expensive than here. Everything in London is very very pricey as I have found out in my research.

Pretty much all Apple stuff works out quite a bit cheaper in Australia... I'd pick it up before you leave and yeah, have it for the flight!

just done some investigating if you buy the ipad within one month of travel you can claim the GST back once you go through customs. Thats better than a kick up the bum..

Well looks like it won't be out here til I come back from my trip! Boo

Shame they don't have an Apple Store at Hong Kong airport as that's my stop off both ways haha

Sydney airport does.

I was in Hong Kong last week and several stores at the airport sell Apple stuff, but it's expensive.

Ahh yeah there is that little electrical shop in HKG airport you're right.

So it would be in Sydney airport when I return on the 24th April, maybe I could do that tax thing?

The AUS$ UKŁ exchange rates was 0.472 this time last year. However, it has now risen to 0.604 - making purchases in the UK far more favourable if your funds come from Australia.
    15" PowerBook Ti 1Ghz & 15" Mac Book Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo. 13” MacBook Air 2GHz i7