Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Windoze 7 64 bit

Hey all,

I need to install Windoze on my MBP, and I have just noticed that the sales person has sold me the 64 bit version. Is this going to work with Virtual Box? I have a MBP 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM.

Thanks!
    Jaali.com
    There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line - Oscar Levant

hardware wise you should be fine, the core 2 duo is a 64 bit processor
    so should handle windows 64 bit

are you running snow leopard?
    iMac 21.5"| 13" MacBook Air | iPad 2 | Apple TV 3 | iPhone 4 | iPhone 4 | iPod HiFi | Drobo | 7D

Arrgghhh... this is really annoying. I have tried VirtualMachine and Bootcamp, and neither of them will read the Windows disc.

Any reason for this???
    Jaali.com
    There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line - Oscar Levant

sounds like a bad disc more than a problem with your system

did boot camp assistant run and detect windows to install?

Quote Originally Posted by gehenna View Post
    sounds like a bad disc more than a problem with your system
    It's a brand new disc - fresh out of the shrink wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfucamel View Post
    did boot camp assistant run and detect windows to install?
    No. Wouldn't even recognise there is a Windows disc
    Jaali.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jaali View Post
    Sometimes there are just duds, joys of mass production.
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

That doesn't mean anything. There were a few bung Snow Leopard discs at release if I recall correctly. Just because it was new and sealed doesn't mean the disc isn't bad itself.

I'm having the same problem.

Are you able to boot of the cd? (by pressing option before the chime during a reboot and selecting the CD image)

I can use this method to see my XP cd, but not the Windows 7 cd
    The more money we give to the "religion", the happier our Thetans are ... eventually enabling us to travel to some planet of which I can never remember the name of, once we've given enough money.
    At least, that's how much I gathered from this fruitcake on the street outside the local Scientology "church".

Quote Originally Posted by gehenna View Post
    There were a few bung Snow Leopard discs at release if I recall correctly.
    There were - I got one of them (replaced by Apple no questions asked so it must have been a known issue).

Quote Originally Posted by GraphicsMonkey View Post
    I'm having the same problem.

Are you able to boot of the cd? (by pressing option before the chime during a reboot and selecting the CD image)

I can use this method to see my XP cd, but not the Windows 7 cd
    Nup - it won't recognise it. So I figure it's a dead disc, until I stuck it in the PC laptop, and it worked straight away.

Something is wrong here... any further ideas?
    Jaali.com

Do you think I'd be able to download an ISO soft version of it, and just use the legit licence?
    Jaali.com

Not sure, but I have the same problem. Must be something to do with it being 64bit or something i feel?

anyone else have any suggestions?
    The more money we give to the "religion", the happier our Thetans are ... eventually enabling us to travel to some planet of which I can never remember the name of, once we've given enough money.
    At least, that's how much I gathered from this fruitcake on the street outside the local Scientology "church".

Do you think I'd be able to download an ISO soft version of it, and just use the legit licence?
    Yeah you should be able to. Just make sure it's the right version (ie Home/Professional/Ultimate). Whether it's 32 or 64 bit shouldn't matter the serial numbers are the same anyway.

Be aware that Windows install keys are often locked to the class of license - i.e. an install key on a retail box version of Windows won't necessarily work with an OEM licensed version.

This is definitely the case with XP. I've also seen it with Vista but haven't yet seen it with Win 7.

Quote Originally Posted by glacierdave View Post
    Be aware that Windows install keys are often locked to the class of license - i.e. an install key on a retail box version of Windows won't necessarily work with an OEM licensed version.

This is definitely the case with XP. I've also seen it with Vista but haven't yet seen it with Win 7.
    I reckon that's why. He's sold me an OEM version, not a retail version. For f%*k's sake!
    Jaali.com

I reckon that's why. He's sold me an OEM version, not a retail version. For f%*k's sake!
    That doesn't matter is the disk is broken.

An OEM version is the same as a retail version minus the packaging.

OEM or retail won't matter in terms of the disc reading in the drive. It will only matter when it comes time to enter your install key.

Forgetting virtual machines and all the rest, if you just slap the disc in the drive can you access it in OS/X?

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this - certainly has no trouble with the XP, Vista and Win7 discs I've used on my MBP anyway.

If nothing else, doing this test should help you figure out where the problem lies - if it doesn't work, you may actually have the beginnings of a hardware fault to do with your optical drive.

A little OT...

Last night I installed the 64-bit version of Windows 7 (over the 32 bit beta) on my 24" Al iMac only to find out that bootcamp would not install as 64 bit was not supported on my machine...

Nice waste of a few hours!

Quote Originally Posted by glacierdave View Post
    Forgetting virtual machines and all the rest, if you just slap the disc in the drive can you access it in OS/X?

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this - certainly has no trouble with the XP, Vista and Win7 discs I've used on my MBP anyway.

If nothing else, doing this test should help you figure out where the problem lies - if it doesn't work, you may actually have the beginnings of a hardware fault to do with your optical drive.
    It won't read the disc at all... so are we now thinking it's my drive?

Quote Originally Posted by avolve View Post
    A little OT...

Last night I installed the 64-bit version of Windows 7 (over the 32 bit beta) on my 24" Al iMac only to find out that bootcamp would not install as 64 bit was not supported on my machine...

Nice waste of a few hours!
    Great! Does this mean it won't work on my MBP either!?!
    Jaali.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast