Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default iPad Tethering to iPhone

So if the iPad supports bluetooth (which it does) and you have an iPhone that has tethering enabled, can you link the iPad to the iPhone and use the iPhone 3G connection?

If you can then surely the iPad WiFi is all you need and you don't need the 3G version.

How will we know before someone gets one and tries it?

That's the dream, I have my doubts though.
    It's currently not part of the iPhone OS (iPod Touch), but I guess that doesn't really mean anything. Maybe in OS 4?

Quote Originally Posted by keeleyg View Post
    How will we know before someone gets one and tries it?
    We probably won't. Though I've seen developers with the 3.2 SDK giving gentle hints that we will be SOL on this front.

At this point I'm assuming tethering will not be an option.

I think Stevo would have mentioned it if it was intended. I'm sure Apple's answer is to get the 3G version. A bit annoying but nothing much can be done about it. A MiFi would be a good answer, so you can use it with an iPod Touch, iPad and computer. More flexible. If you don't use the iPhone much as a phone (I don't), this might be a good substitute, assuming that there is a MiFi equivalent here in Australia.
    Successful transactions with tintinaujapon, sillydog701, decryption, ken-f, macmine, LaPastenague, Jordan M, leon, NathR32, trickcycle, froggy, scruffie, benerrol, hawker, midnight_e, loc04t, fission.

I hope so. If the AU pricing is not that different between the two 64 models I may just get the 3G version.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecto1 View Post
    I hope so. If the AU pricing is not that different between the two 64 models I may just get the 3G version.
    There's $130 USD between the two, so I guess it depends on your definition of "not that different".

The recently release Apple MacBook is US$999 v. AU$1299.

It was released at a time when the exhange rate was simular to the present.

So US$499 = AU$649 at the retail level

Quote Originally Posted by keeleyg View Post
    If you can then surely the iPad WiFi is all you need and you don't need the 3G version.
    The non-3G version also lacks GPS, I'm not sure I'd go for that.

Cheers
    Steffen.
    It's Unix, Jim, but not as we know it...

But is the 3G version real GPS, or A-GPS using only cell tower location?
     24" Aluminium iMac 2.8GHz
     16Gb iPhone 3G black
     16Gb iPad 3G +WiFi

A-GPS is full GPS (sattelites + phone towers) but people often confuse it with basic triangulation, which is not GPS at all.

Why does everyone think that A-GPS uses ONLY cell tower location? A-GPS uses cell tower location to help lock onto the GPS satellite more quickly. The iPad 3G will have exactly the same A-GPS as the iPhone.

My bad, I'll just go top myself because I asked a simple question in an online forum.
    Please donate to a local charity in lieu of sending flowers.
     16Gb iPhone 3G black
     16Gb iPad 3G +WiFi

The recently release Apple MacBook is US$999 v. AU$1299.

It was released at a time when the exhange rate was simular to the present.

So US$499 = AU$649 at the retail level
    I wonder if there will be a edu discount… the iPhone doesn't but this will be geared towards Students so… maybe?
    Yagan Kiely
    Website || IMSLP || Pirate Party Australia
     2008 MacBook Pro 15" — 2010 MacBook Air 13" — iPhone 4 (32gb) — iPad 3G 64gb— etc.

Default Telco Data Plan

Quote Originally Posted by tcn33 View Post
    There's $130 USD between the two, so I guess it depends on your definition of "not that different".
    the issue isn't just the cost difference between the iPad models but the ongoing subscription to a 3G data plan that a telco is going to sting you for - after all they try to do that today with separate phone and data plans for laptops - remember Optus still charge a premium of $9.95 a month just to enable tethering!

Ironically I would buy the 3G version to get the A-GPS capability but would still want to tether to my iPhone so I only have one data plan with a single carrier to service.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeMule View Post
    My bad, I'll just go top myself because I asked a simple question in an online forum.
    Please donate to a local charity in lieu of sending flowers.

Funny? I didn't see anyone having a go, just a simple answer,

Try not to be too sensitive, remember, you can't hear how someone is talking on the net, you take it as you read it yourself.

Just so you know I am not having a go too. Keep away from the edge!
    Trades with, Huy, PatrickH, tkilik11, chris, Taezar, bennyling, Simo, stewiesno1, MissionMan, cgollner, napes, mechcon, lama323, snagage, ClockWork, Beau, Rasta, Freeze, Petecario, Simmo, Tokevmur, Beaner, thebookfreak58, Boddiz, neg2led, Foxy

Yeah I wasn't trying to have a go, but it's annoying that even newspapers and tech websites continue the misinformation about A-GPS.

Default I'll be using this.

There is an app for jailbroken iPhones called MyWi that can turn your iPhone 3g into a adhoc wifi hotspot. That should allow your WiFi-only iPad to connect to the iPhones 3g signal without any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by greggy View Post
    There is an app for jailbroken iPhones called MyWi that can turn your iPhone 3g into a adhoc wifi hotspot. That should allow your WiFi-only iPad to connect to the iPhones 3g signal without any problem.
    Just wish that we didn't have to jailbreak our phones to do that
    15" MBP UniBody | 27" Cinema Display | Mac Mini UniBody 2010 | iPad 64GB 4G White | iPad 2 64GB 3G White | iPad 64GB 3G | iPhone 4S 64GB White | iPhone 4 32GB White | iPhone 3GS 32GB White

MyWi does not seems to work when I tried using my Ipod to connect to Internet via it. I think it only work for notebooks. I hope it would work for Ipad.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Coxy View Post
    Yeah I wasn't trying to have a go, but it's annoying that even newspapers and tech websites continue the misinformation about A-GPS.
    Having taken a few deep breaths and spoken with my shaman, I have put the crossbow down and am once again willing to continue life. Coxy, you're response was a perfect answer to my post. Peterjcat may have slightly peeved me at the time with his, but that could have had something to do with being a heavy drinker... anyhoo, back to the ipad

 16Gb iPhone 3G black
     16Gb iPad 3G +WiFi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast