Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default 'Apple copied our iPad'

Although all they did was copy the iPhone to start with, some Chinese knock-off manufacturers are claiming their Windows POS is the original and Apple copied them with the iPad...

THE unveiling of Apple's iPad tablet computer was one of the most anticipated technology events in recent years, but a similar looking device has been on sale in China for nearly six months.

The touchscreen iPad look-alike marks a new milestone by Chinese manufacturers: cloning a product before it had even been announced, mused Shanghaiist.com, a Shanghai city blog, and Shanzhai.com, a tech blog dedicated to Chinese copies.

But Shenzhen Great Loong Brother Industrial Co. - makers of the Chinese device, which resembles an over-sized iPhone - said Apple appeared to be the copycats. 'We don't understand. Why did they make the same thing as us?' Huang Xiaofang, an executive at the company, told AFP.

The iPad-like 'P88' was launched in August and was on show last year at the Internationale Funkausstellung consumer electronics fair in Berlin, she said. 'We launched it earlier,' she said.

Although thicker and heavier than the iPad, the P88's specifications boasts a slightly larger screen, faster processor, larger memory and, unlike the iPad, has USB ports, according to the manufacturer. But its battery life is only 1.5 hours compared to the iPad's 10 hours.

Apple's first iPads will ship worldwide at an entry-level price of 499 dollars in two months. But for gadget fanatics who cannot wait, Huang said the P88 is available now on Great Loong Brother's web site
    'Apple copied our iPad'

Image Source: Feats in cloning Pt.1: Shanzhai clones non-existent Apple tablet
    Last edited by Bogus Jimmy; 29th January 2010 at 07:52 PM.
    MacBook Pro 15.4"/2.4GHz i5/8GB/500GB/Hi Res, Mac Mini 2.4GHz/4GB/320GB, iPad 2G 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G
    iPhone 4 32GB, 3GS 16GB iPod 5G 60GB Classic, 6G 16GB nano, 4G 8GB nano, 2G 2GB nano, Nike+iPod
    Apple TV 2G Airport Extreme x2, Express x2

Well, this should be perfect for everyone who bemoaned the lack of USB ports on the iPad.

edit: and SD card reader, ethernet and stylus!

1.5 hours battery life. Awesome.

it even had a VGA port for those who need one

Quote Originally Posted by tcn33 View Post
    Well, this should be perfect for everyone who bemoaned the lack of USB ports on the iPad.

edit: and SD card reader, ethernet and stylus!
    And full OS X

hackinpad ahoy
    This opinion intentionally left blank.

Woowoo! So there is something for everyone who hates the iPad!
    Trades with, Huy, PatrickH, tkilik11, chris, Taezar, bennyling, Simo, stewiesno1, MissionMan, cgollner, napes, mechcon, lama323, snagage, ClockWork, Beau, Rasta, Freeze, Petecario, Simmo, Tokevmur, Beaner, thebookfreak58, Boddiz, neg2led, Foxy

Little too thick for my liking

hahaha it copied the iphone? hahahahahaha
    The family:
    iPod Nano Graphite 8GB 6th Gen / iPhone 4 32GB Black / iPad 2 16GB wifi
    iMac 21.5" / Mac Mini / AirPort Extreme / AirPort Express

oh gee. I really want that piece of sh1t device that looks awful, weighs a tonne, has a $2 display, and wtf.. is that a VGA port? I just looked at my ical and... it's not 1987... It's 2010! Even DVI is 11 years old.

am I narrow minded or do I actually care about aesthetics?

Default XP

And it runs XP!!!! (which according to wikipedia debuted in 2001!)

Must be a dream to use...dare I say 'magical'?

(cough splutter vomit)...
    15" i5 MBP + 09 MacMini(OCZ SSD) + 13" Al macbook + iPad2 + iPhone 4 + ATV 2 wit XBMC!

It's funny cause it's China?
    32GB iPhone 3GS, Unibody MacBook Pro.
    last.fm| trades: anaami, Bob, vwl, and lots of other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
    It's funny cause it's China?
    Yes, the home of the knock off. The Chinese are getting very very good at knocking off everything from electronics to clothes, cars and cuisine.
    MacBook Pro 15.4"/2.4GHz i5/8GB/500GB/Hi Res, Mac Mini 2.4GHz/4GB/320GB, iPad 2G 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G
    iPhone 4 32GB, 3GS 16GB iPod 5G 60GB Classic, 6G 16GB nano, 4G 8GB nano, 2G 2GB nano, Nike+iPod
    Apple TV 2G Airport Extreme x2, Express x2

Quote Originally Posted by Bogus Jimmy View Post
    Yes, the home of the knock off. The Chinese are getting very very good at knocking off everything from electronics to clothes, cars and cuisine.
    and they are equally as good as knocking off things that havent been made yet (such as the harry potter series :P)

but the fact is the their outlook really look alike, also the iBooks in iPad looks like a copy of 'Classics' which is an app of iphone

Quote Originally Posted by princearthur View Post
    also the iBooks in iPad looks like a copy of 'Classics' which is an app of iphone
    I noticed that as well. I just presumed Apple purchased the idea from them
    This opinion intentionally left blank.

Classics says they didn't have anything to do with iBooks on the page of Classics of app store

Quote Originally Posted by Bogus Jimmy View Post
    Shame they're no good at knocking off software. Or user experience. Or anything that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by princearthur View Post
    but the fact is the their outlook really look alike, also the iBooks in iPad looks like a copy of 'Classics' which is an app of iphone
    Two points:
    - Using a real life representation in a user interface isn't a new idea. Classics does it well, but I don't think Apple have any legal or moral reason to give any credit to Classics. It's an obvious thing to do (in 2010) and the look wasn't pioneered at all by Classics.
    - Delicious Library was one of the first, if not the first "library" app to use a bookshelf in this way.