Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Ipad & Iphone development query

Hi all,
    Apologies if this is a stupid question but can I learn to develop Ipad/Iphone apps for free - I appreciate that I need to be part of the developer program to actually deploy to a device/ the app store. However it was my understanding that I could learn, develop and test using the simulator for free. Looking on the apple website it seems to imply that I will have to pony up the $99 to even try out the SDK. Has this always been the case? am I a nutjob?

Quick back story here is that I have some development experience and have thought about learning to develop for the Iphone for some time but have not got around to it. Seeing the Ipad yesterday has re-ignited this desire

Any advice much appreciated
    Thanks for reading

chrome's Avatar chrome is offline MacTalk Engineering Department of Horrors. Mutilator of HTML Templates Extraordinaire. Man with the Very Long User Title. No you can't have one. Ha ha.

You can get the sdk without paying anything.

You cannot load your apps onto your own device without getting a developer cert signed by apple that you then install onto your device.

But the simulator is accurate, so if you're just playing around, you're fine.

edit: I neglected to mention; thats for the standard SDK. The beta SDK isn't public yet, so you'll only be able to build iPhone apps. I suspect once the iPad is on the market, they will release the beta SDK publically and you'll be able to grab it like you can grab the current SDK.
    In ur forums, upgradin'.

thank you sir

edit: thanks for the edit - that makes sense now - thought I was going crazy
    Last edited by itsanobscureid; 29th January 2010 at 09:42 PM.