Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What We Don't Know About the iPad

Today's announcement just scratched the surface. Here are some unanswered questions that I've identified. Feel free to add to the pile.

1. Does it work with Exchange? (Presumably)
    2. Is there a unified mail inbox for multiple accounts?
    3. Is there a Cover Flow view in the iTunes app?
    4. How do I get my iWork documents in and out?
    5. What MobileMe integration is included?
    6. Can I download files using Safari, and if so, how do I get them to my computer?
    7. Do ebooks appear in iTunes on the syncing computer?
    8. Can I add my own ebooks through iTunes on the syncing computer, similar to importing CDs and MP3 files?
    9. What would I see if I connected to a monitor or TV? iPods only output the video or the photos. I'm hoping to see the whole interface so that I can demonstrate anything on the device.
    10. The lock screen has a button in the lower right. What is this? Log in as another user?
    11. Can you use Bluetooth keyboards other than Apple's? They specifically mention Apple's. And which models exactly?
    12. It can play HD video, so that implies compatibility with iTunes LP. How does this 16:9 content appear on a 4:3 screen? Reformatting? New versions required?
    13. Where are the magazines?

That will do. Have at it.
    Successful transactions with tintinaujapon, sillydog701, decryption, ken-f, macmine, LaPastenague, Jordan M, leon, NathR32, trickcycle, froggy, scruffie, benerrol, hawker, midnight_e, loc04t, fission.

Quote Originally Posted by Japester View Post
    How do I get my iWork documents in and out?
    I think Gruber answered this one...link

The lock screen has a button in the lower right. What is this? Log in as another user?
    I believe that starts the photo slideshow mode for when you aren't using it...or it was docked and on a bookshelf/bench etc.

I'd like to know if the WiFi only model can tether with iPhone via bluetooth...?

Dan

Differences in the iPad SDK to the iPhone SDK.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

WTF is a "MicroSIM" card? Evidently they are a special sized SIM that are different to the standard? This may crap on my "pull the SIM from my mobile broadband stick and use that" plan.
    2013 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4/500GB, 2x 27" iMacs, iPhone 5 Black, several iPads.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinnugent View Post
    WTF is a "MicroSIM" card?
    Check here

Today's announcement just scratched the surface. Here are some unanswered questions that I've identified. Feel free to add to the pile.

1. Is there a unified mail inbox for multiple accounts?

That will do. Have at it.
    The "Mailboxes" button in every shot of the Mail inbox suggests no (dammit). Hope I'm wrong.

Mine is, can you tether a non-3G iPad via Bluetooth to an iPhone?

Default Re: What We Don't Know About the iPad

Quote Originally Posted by zillatron
    I think Gruber answered this one...link
    That's great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Japester; 28th January 2010 at 06:06 PM.
    Successful transactions with tintinaujapon, sillydog701, decryption, ken-f, macmine, LaPastenague, Jordan M, leon, NathR32, trickcycle, froggy, scruffie, benerrol, hawker, midnight_e, loc04t, fission.

11 Where are the Magazines.

Also dissappointed in that one, though the new Zinio Application on the iPhone may hold part of the answer there. Zinio mags are great on the laptop and should be even better on this.
    An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

Great questions!

Apple really needs to come up with a dropbox style solution now
     rMBP  iPad  iPhone

10. The lock screen has a button in the lower right. What is this? Log in as another user?
    From my magical iPad Simulator (with MacTalk in the background ):

The button currently does nothing, possibly cycles your wallpaper?

1. Does it work with Exchange? (Presumably)
    Not according to this article

Apple's iPad has pitfalls for enterprise | Mac IT | Macworld

Quote Originally Posted by matthew858 View Post
    Photo slideshow maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by titan44 View Post
    Maybe this is true - but I find it very hard to believe this idea, given how the iPhone itself offers Exchange support. Doing so would be a step backward, and it makes absolutely no sense for Apple to cripple this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by tcn33 View Post
    The "Mailboxes" button in every shot of the Mail inbox suggests no (dammit). Hope I'm wrong.

Mine is, can you tether a non-3G iPad via Bluetooth to an iPhone?
    As for tethering the iPad WiFi-only model with an iPhone with 3G, that was the very first question that came to mind upon knowing about it's 802.11n capability earlier on in the keynote. I personally wouldn't mind carrying both an iPad and my 3G[S] with me.

If tethering isn't possible, then I'd have to shell out for another phone service just for data usage. Not the best for the user, great for the operator (thanks to added revenue from adding another user to the pool).

1. It can play HD video, so that implies compatibility with iTunes LP. How does this 16:9 content appear on a 4:3 screen? Reformatting? New versions required?
    I believe this was demonstrated when "Star Trek" was being played back on the iPad. It can be played in a 16:9 mode, or full-screen.

But content-wise, I'm not sure whether Apple is gonna have some customised for playback on the iPad itself...
    Successful trades: applebyte | blackiridium | championboxer | chris | Chundermuffin | Currawong | dche5390 | dincth13 | dodyk | everunman | Hipsi | hoony | iSlayer | Jaali | jars121 | jeremy_warnock | mallo | pinchies | tcn33 | TheKeddi | Xavier

Does it wobble when you lay it flat and touch it?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
    Does it wobble when you lay it flat and touch it?
    From what I can see from the pictures, I doesn't look it. It has a rather flat back.
     iPod nano 8GB 3rd Gen - iPod touch 16GB - 20" Aluminum iMac 2.0 GHz - iPhone 3G 16GB White - 15" Unibody MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz - iPhone 3GS 16GB Black - iPad 16GB Wi-Fi - iPhone 4 32GB Black

Quote Originally Posted by krasivy View Post
    ...I believe this was demonstrated when "Star Trek" was being played back on the iPad. It can be played in a 16:9 mode, or full-screen.

But content-wise, I'm not sure whether Apple is gonna have some customised for playback on the iPad itself...
    My point is that iTunes LPs are 1280 x 720 pixels. You can zoom a movie but I can't see zooming an iTunes LP.

Heres an interesting one..

..will it get push notifications?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew858 View Post
    From my magical iPad Simulator (with MacTalk in the background ):

check it out..

its on the keyboard dock too

Review: Apple iPad Keyboard Dock | iLounge

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
    its on the keyboard dock too

I wonder if it'll be made to work with the iPhone too (upon a software upgrade, of course!)

That would make replying SMSes slightly easier if I'm at my desk... just switch keyboards, and *boom!*
    Successful trades: applebyte | blackiridium | championboxer | chris | Chundermuffin | Currawong | dche5390 | dincth13 | dodyk | everunman | Hipsi | hoony | iSlayer | Jaali | jars121 | jeremy_warnock | mallo | pinchies | tcn33 | TheKeddi | Xavier

watch the keynote, steve says it turns on slideshow for photo frame type effect
    Mac Pro Dual Xeon 2.8GHz Quad, 6GB Ram, 128GB SSD+320GB+3x1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX285, Mac OS X 10.7
    My Flickr | Portfolio/Photoblog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast