Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default The Apple iPad, why everybody hates it!

The Apple iPad was unveiled today at Apple's media event in San Francisco. As soon as Steve dropped the revolutionary device the internet went overboard with comments like "The iPad is crap" "It will never take off" "The iPad is doomed." The iPad is not doomed, it's quite the opposite, the iPad is the future it will take off and be a huge success. The iPad fits a market need, Apple have seen this market need and have addressed in their best and innovative way. In the next few years the iPad will evolve to fit new needs of the market.

As the internet evolves with social media companies like Apple have to keep looking/designing new ways to keep their customers and the market happy with new innovation. The iPad is this new innovation, it's what Apple sees and deems most appropriate for the now. As things change in a few years the products will change to fit until one day when you can no longer make a product fit and you then have to innovate again.

So why all this cry over the iPad? People over expected of this mystical device and the rumours didn't help. The rumours hyped people up and got them to think and dream about this awesome product. They thought it would be the best and it would have XRAY vision, 3D screens, ect. But when Steve Jobs dropped it at the keynote it was nothing compared to what they thought and believed it would be like. People then begin to dislike it because it doesn't have a camera and/or XRAY vision and start naming it a "failure." People need to step back and look at it from another perspective instead of their dream world where everything comes true and only after that they can begin to see the light.

The iPad is the future!
    Meh 626 - Meh626.com
     MacBook Pro i7 2010  iMac 21.5" 2011  iMac G4 17"  iPad 3 64GB  iPhone 4 32GB  AirPort Express' - Successful Trades.

That was nice and fluffy

Here's a Reddit comment

"Just yesterday I was looking at my iPhone thinking "Hmmm, I wish this thing didn't fit in my pocket, [didn't make phone calls and didn't have any sort of camera]." Then I looked over to my netbook and couldn't help but feel it would benefit from losing the keyboard, [not being able to run Flash, having an OS that is a totally closed environment] and being made of 50% glass.

Finally apple gives me what I wish."

Don't worry about what others are thinking. As long as it meets your needs, just get it. No approval from others is needed.

because it doesn't come with wings.
    Once you go Mac you never go back.

I need no aproval from anyone, I am getting one imported on launch!
    Trades with, Huy, PatrickH, tkilik11, chris, Taezar, bennyling, Simo, stewiesno1, MissionMan, cgollner, napes, mechcon, lama323, snagage, ClockWork, Beau, Rasta, Freeze, Petecario, Simmo, Tokevmur, Beaner, thebookfreak58, Boddiz, neg2led, Foxy

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeddi View Post
    I thought the wifi version would be available worldwide?

I don't think wanting a camera is so ludicrous or that I am living in a 'dream world' for wanting a camera.

I don't think you will have any trouble sourcing an Apple Pad.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesteve2 View Post
    Don't worry about what others are thinking. As long as it meets your needs, just get it. No approval from others is needed.
    I don't need/want it. I wrote this piece because of the huge number of people making negative comments about the iPad and refusing to look at it any other way but through their own eyes.

But I do agree if it fits your need, go for it.
    Meh 626 - Meh626.com
     MacBook Pro i7 2010  iMac 21.5" 2011  iMac G4 17"  iPad 3 64GB  iPhone 4 32GB  AirPort Express' - Successful Trades.

No need to import - it's coming out in Australia before the USA! (only a few hours before, thanks to the time difference). Worldwide launch is 60 days from now (90 days for the 3G model).

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    No need to import - it's coming out in Australia before the USA! (only a few hours before, thanks to the time difference). Worldwide launch is 60 days from now (90 days for the 3G model).
    Source? You Sure?

Why wouldnt it be online on the apple au store in that case?

How are Australia's Parallel import laws for books going to affect the iBookstore in Australia? Will it be hobbled the same way it is for the Kindle?

M
    iMac 21.5 i3 3.2 12GB RAM
    iPhone 6 64GB Gold
    iPad Air 2 64GB Wi-Fi + Cellular Gold

Quote Originally Posted by twombles_62 View Post
    I don't think wanting a camera is so ludicrous or that I am living in a 'dream world' for wanting a camera.
    I'm with you twombles. I dont think that an isight camera is such a far-fetched 'fantasy' feature. Especially given that most, nearly all, netbooks at a lower price point have one. Also a SD card slot or even a USB port isn't too much to ask for is it? The killer blow for me though would be the closed OS. Looking roughly $1000AUD for the 64GB model I'd much rather have my 13 inch Macbook with 500GB of storage which I picked up for the same price
    Last edited by macmusic; 28th January 2010 at 09:36 AM.

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

I exepected a camera and an SD card slot. Ah well, something for the accessory makers and then it will work in portrait or landscape.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

The Micro GSM SIM card damm it would of been better if it used the mini GSM SIM (n iPhone now) then It would be easly changed over all well maybe the next iPhone will be micro GSM Sim card as well!!
    www.ribbonista.com.au
    First Person in Canberra to get the 3G 8G iPhone on Optus on the 11/07/08, wii console nick Darksplatw wii number 7209 0535 2983 2966 PM me to be my friend

Apple could have given us that mystical itablet device we fantasised about with all the rumours, apple are just milking us, perhaps the itablet is yet to come :-)
     rMBP  iPad  iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by mallo View Post
    Source? You Sure?

Apple Launches iPad
    iPad will be available in late March worldwide for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model, $699 (US) for the 64GB model. The Wi-Fi + 3G models of iPad will be available in April in the US and selected countries for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model. iPad will be sold in the US through the Apple Store® (Apple), Apple’s retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers. International pricing and worldwide availability will be announced at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by mallo View Post
    Source? You Sure?

That's what Steve said in the keynote! See:

The Apple AU website hasn't been updated yet (not even the US store has the iPad - it's just a graphic linking back to the main iPad page as you can't order them yet).

I doubt Apple AU/Asia Pacific even knew it was coming until today.

Quote Originally Posted by macmusic View Post
    I'm with you twombles. I dont think that an isight camera is such a far-fetched 'fantasy' feature. Especially given that most, nearly all, netbooks at a lower price point have one. Also a USB port isn't too much to ask for is it? The killer blow for me though would be the closed OS. Looking roughly $1000AUD for the 64GB model I'd much rather have my 13 inch Macbook with 500GB of storage which I picked up for the same price
    What are you going to use a USB port for when your on the couch browsing the internet or reading a book?

If the market sees a product that fits perfectly and is innovative most of the time they usually have no problem paying top dollar for such a product.

An iPad is far superior to a 13" MacBook on a couch. It's more comfortable and easier to use especially when your watching TV at the same time. Which seems to be the latest trends these days.
    Meh 626 - Meh626.com

Quote Originally Posted by Meh 626 View Post
    I don't need/want it. I wrote this piece because of the huge number of people making negative comments about the iPad and refusing to look at it any other way but through their own eyes.

But I do agree if it fits your need, go for it.
    Good piece. The complete condemnation of the device simply because it lacks one fantasised feature shits me livid. It is what it is. You can't change it, so stop bitching.

Also, you haven't experienced one so you haven't really gotten Apple's viewpoint on it yet. I believe you've got to watch the keynote in full for any event to get where they're coming from. That and using the device gives you the understanding of what it really is, then you can make a decision as to whether it's for you.

Perhaps the bitchers aren't the market Apple is aiming this at.
    Successful transactions with tintinaujapon, sillydog701, decryption, ken-f, macmine, LaPastenague, Jordan M, leon, NathR32, trickcycle, froggy, scruffie, benerrol, hawker, midnight_e, loc04t, fission.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast