Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Originally posted by RocketFactory@Jan 24 2004, 11:50 PM
    Other than computery stuff, I'm into music in a big way (collecting, listening). Mainly British stuff, but occasionally stray into other stuff. Particularly keen on some of the electroclash stuff of the past couple of years, and also nugazer stuff (modern bands picking up on elements of the early 90s shoegazer movement).
    Lush, Belle and Sebastian, Blur, Super Furry Animals.. stuff like that eh?
    Good work :P

Hi - I'm Damian.

Although I have used Macs on and off for work, I only moved over full-time when OS X arrived. Have been using Unix since way in the past so switching was easy.

I do a bit of Unix admin (Linux, Solaris) for a living as well as sessional lecturing at Swinburne - mostly to masters students in IT.

I'm a bit of a photo enthusiast and use the Mac for that - I use a Canon EOS 10D.

I would be interested in any comments on different image processing software experiences - I take all RAW images. Always looking for the perfect tool for conversions and storage. Currently using iView mediaPro.

Damian

iMac 24" 2.8

Originally posted by decryption@Jan 25 2004, 04:13 PM
    Lush, Belle and Sebastian, Blur, Super Furry Animals.. stuff like that eh?
    Good work :P
    Indeed, just got the new B&S dvd which is pretty good. Love lush, and SFA are also good. Blur used to be good, now they're alright, but I don't like their new stuff as much as their old stuff (cliche i know, but true). Saint Etienne are my fav. Also love My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Stone Roses, etc.

Latest discovery is Ulrich Schnauss who I think is from Germany. And Franz Ferdinand (who will be popular amongst the fans of The Strokes and Hot Hot Heat).

Originally posted by Damian@Jan 25 2004, 05:35 PM
    ....I use a Canon EOS 10D....
    *drools*
    I'd rather be posting from an Apple //c

Greetings all!

I'm a paramedic working in Melbourne who moonlights as a network admin (mostly Linux).

I started out when the Apple ][ was new and have been collecting apple's biege/platinum boxes ever since. While my wife likes Mac's she still not convinced that having a few hundred of them is worthwhile!

My collection can be found at http://jd.sjaa.com.au/orchard/

JD.
    Regards,

Justin.

Originally posted by jmd@Jan 26 2004, 03:33 PM
    Greetings all!

I'm a paramedic working in Melbourne who moonlights as a network admin (mostly Linux).

I started out when the Apple ][ was new and have been collecting apple's biege/platinum boxes ever since. While my wife likes Mac's she still not convinced that having a few hundred of them is worthwhile!

JD.
    I remember looking at that site previously during some research for a TAFE assignment.
    A very impressive collection!
    Do you have a favourite?

Originally posted by jmd@Jan 26 2004, 03:33 PM
    Greetings all!

JD.
    welcome!! your reputation procedes you - i too have seen your collection site before.
    very nice.

Originally posted by cmetom@Jan 26 2004, 04:01 PM
    welcome!! your reputation procedes you - i too have seen your collection site before.
    very nice.
    Looks like we have a celebrity on AppleTalk

Originally posted by decryption@Jan 26 2004, 02:49 PM
    A very impressive collection!
    Do you have a favourite?
    It's difficult to pick one out....

I wrote my Honour's paper on the ][ plus, which was my first machine, so it has a special place in my heart.

I love the look of the original Lisa - but it is way too slow to work with these days.

The TAM is definately a sexy looking machine, but is not without it's problems.

I enjoy tinkering with my ANSes (probably 'cause they're running linux, and their design is easy to tinker with).

Which one(s) do you like?

JD
    Regards,

Justin.

Originally posted by jmd@Jan 26 2004, 04:19 PM
    It's difficult to pick one out....

I wrote my Honour's paper on the ][ plus, which was my first machine, so it has a special place in my heart.

I love the look of the original Lisa - but it is way too slow to work with these days.

The TAM is definately a sexy looking machine, but is not without it's problems.

I enjoy tinkering with my ANSes (probably 'cause they're running linux, and their design is easy to tinker with).

Which one(s) do you like?

JD
    I like the Apple IIgs and the LCII... Simply because of the memories from using them at school. It's those two models that really fuelled my interest in computers. The Apple II was the first computer I ever used back in 1990 in grade prep and begged my mum to get me one for home, which I didn't get :P The Woz would be proud though....

The G5 PowerMac would probably be another favourite, I just bought one and love it. It's the way all computers should be... Also, the original titanium G4 PowerBook. When I first saw that laptop, I was doing work experience at an Apple dealer and was really wowed buy it. Almost 4 years on and it looks as beautiful as the day it came out. The G4 cube is pretty special too... I really regret not buying one now, despite their over-pricedness :P

Originally posted by decryption@Jan 26 2004, 03:26 PM
    I like the Apple IIgs and the LCII... Simply because of the memories from using them at school.
    As yes, forgot the IIgs - a magnificent machine!

As you can probably tell from the add-on's my Rom03 has got, that I enjoyed working with it as well.

But, alas, was too much competition for the non-DSP, non-colour Macs of the day and suffered the ultimate price.

Never really liked the LC series - I opted for a MacIIsi at the time (presented the best price break point, with great additional features).

Regards,

JD
    Regards,

Justin.

Well, i'm the infamous LCGuy. I came here from bYrd's thread at the 68kMLA Forums, and am enjoying it so far. I started out in 1993 when my Grade 3 teacher forced me onto an LCII, and I've been hooked ever since. A few months after that Dad told me he was interested in getting a computer for the home. He wanted a PC, but Mum and I managed to convince him into getting a Mac, so a brand spanking new LCIII was ordered. Man i love that thing...i've probably got more good memories of that thing than any other computer...except maybe my lovely, stable, beautiful, reliable Lime Rev. D iMac 333 (tray load), which is my current main Mac. In December 1997 my parents got me a PB1400c/166 as a Christmas present. I then got into the Mac liberating scene, by rescuing a Classic II from my evil Ipex PC lovin, Mac hating school, for 10 bucks, a bargain at the time, considering they were still selling in Cash Converters and the local AppleCentre for about 200 bucks. I then got an original Macintosh from a friend of mine who didn't know much about it and just wanted to get rid of it. That was 20 bucks...anotehr great bargain. My PC friends, of course, didn't understand. "You paid 10 bucks for a Classic II last year...isn't it a bit dumb paying 20 bucks for a Classic I now?" Of course, they were wrong, so i didn't listen to them. In 2000, i picked up an LCII and my iMac 333. This is my current Mac, which I will talk about later. 2001 took me to the local AppleCentre, where i did work experience repairing old Macs. During that time i got an LC475, LC630, PowerCD (VERY COOL&#33, *NEW IN BOX* Apple Presentation System, a totally rocking AppleVision 1710 display (now dead...) and some old PCs, assorted parts, enough bits to assemble a fully working PowerBook 145B. Last year i got given a Quadra 700 by one of Dad's friends, which is now my A/UX testbed. I also found a PM8100, AppleVision 1710, Macintosh Colour Display, and ColourPlus Display in a rubbish heap at uni, and saved it all from the dumpster. All my Macs have a purpose..i don't have them sitting around for nothing. The 128k is a collectors item, which I don't use much, to try and preserve its good working condition. The Classic II, unfortunately died last year, when its mobo fried. The LCII is for running old games that work great under System 6. The LCIII (my first Mac&#33 is a backup system. The PB145B is my backup PB. The LC475 is my main Mac back at the farm. My LC630 is my 68k based HTPC type system. The Quadra 700 is my A/UX testbed. The PowerMac 8100 is gradually being built into the NuBus Mac of my dreams. The PB1400c/166 is my main PB. And the iMac is my main Mac, and is arguably the best Mac i've ever had. It got me through World War III (grade 12...), introduced me to my girl, and was the machine I was on when that girl i mentioned and I fell in love. Like i say..."you can't do that on an Ipex..." This is the machine i'm typing this from. It only has a G3/333 and 160 megs of RAM, but it is oh so sweet. Sooo much nicer than my new Dell, which is the system I use at uni. Unfortunately, I have to run some PC apps for my course, and i can't be bothered with VPC, so a PC was the only way to go. Its a very nice system for a PC, but as can be expected, Windows XP really likes to tick me off at times. Dont' worry though...as soon as the Series II PowerBook G5 comes out, and i have the money, i'm getting one!!!! Anyway, enough about the Mac side of things, i'm 19 years old, and i'm currently studying IT at university, and I live in regional QLD. I'm currently on break, but i go back at the end of Feburary. At most of the forums i go to my name is LCGuy or PartyAnimal1245, so if you see any of those names anywhere, its probably me. The only exceptions to this are the iMacOwner.com forums where I go by the name 333 Bliss, and the Holden Discussion Forum i go to, where i am goVY. (Yes, i am a Holden fan, and yes, i do hate Ford...) Anyway, thats it for now.
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

I'm Cory5412 and if you haven't heard of me, that's probably a good thing

I'm a regular at the good ol' 68kMLA (and found this place though Byrd's thread as well)

I'm also not exactly "from" and I don't exactly "live in" Australia, I am just interested in macintosh related online communities, and this looks like a great one! (if that's a problem though, just tell me )

I have been caught lately using a PowerBook g4 and it's been running panther without updates for 70 and a half days. (10.3.0)

My other current macs include the first mac I ever had, when i was in 5th grade, a 7300/200 and my other current mac, a G3/450MHz blue/white.

I've been known to start large projects and then kindasorta not finish them, like my IW project and that thing I was going ot do with a projector, among other things.

What else? I'm 15 and I live in Arizona, United States. I am taking a german class in high school, and you could say that I have a sort of addiction to making things 'big' (notably my display size)(read: projector)

Mostly, if you want to find out something about me, I'll probably reveal it in a post later on, I do that alot.

Originally posted by Cory5412@Feb 1 2004, 05:08 AM
    I'm also not exactly "from" and I don't exactly "live in" Australia, I am just interested in macintosh related online communities, and this looks like a great one! (if that's a problem though, just tell me )

...I have a sort of addiction to making things 'big' (notably my display size)(read: projector)
    you're more than welcome!! now we have our first official U.S. contact!!

and while it was only temporary, and that's NOT Appletalk onscreen, check this out:

it's ~53 inches of screen, btw.

strains the neck and makes you dizzy while playing NFS:U

Originally posted by cmetom@Feb 1 2004, 03:29 PM
    (image)
    If you wern't going to show AppleTalk on it, you could have at least plugged it into a Mac, hahaha

Originally posted by decryption@Feb 1 2004, 03:42 PM
    If you wern't going to show AppleTalk on it, you could have at least plugged it into a Mac, hahaha
    at least it's an invisionboard...
    i took it a while ago, before i had my G3... didn't think to plug my 6220 into it as i wasn't using it at the time. i can probably borrow the projector again, but it depends...
    i can always photoshop OSX in there

edit: before G3 = before AppleTalk

OH!!!!!!!

(This is one of the Quirks of Cory5412)

I LOVE Projectors!!!

I myself am buying one, it's really old, and it's black and white, but I've wanted one for the past several years and it was only $55(usd)

I should dig out my IIsi and put A/UX on it to show the world in a big format, or I'll just stick with the original plan of the 7300 (which has BeOS on it)

Either way, it'll be fun.

What model/brand of projector was it?

3-month old Toshiba... i don't know the model number, but i'll find out.
    natively does 1024x768, and is 1200 ansi lumens i THINK...

ahh, cool

I'm not to 'up to date' on toshiba's offerings, I just know that in the past, they've looked a whole lot like InFocus' products :P

Of course, that having been said, if you were to ask I could probably rattle off a few companies that i know of who have been known to be liscencing InFocus' products. For Example, right now IBM makes a copy of the X1, but it's black like IBM"s computers, and it costs more than an actual X1 :P

I'll have to take a picture of the forthcoming Cory5412 Projector in action to see how it'll work andshow it off,it'll be fun-fun-fun (in black and whte )

Hi All,

I am pipsqeek, better known as Steve.

Currently (also) studying 2nd year as Network Eng at Loftus TAFE near Sutherland, Sydney.

Recovering from a motorcycle accident 18 months ago, I can no longer work on bikes for a living. So I went and enrolled into TAFE which is what i was going to do before I did my apprenticeship.

I'm 25, a Big man. Lived in the US for five years. hated the place. never go back.

I love the G4 Cube, but never got one, if I find one, I'll....explode.

My friends mainly have PC's but I always laugh at them when they are re installing thier operating systems every 6 week or so. Or everytime they get a virus.

They laugh back at me because I don't play any games on the iBook. But I just smerk and say. "Just shut up and sit in front of your Gloryfied XBOX. You just paid $2000 too much for that machine and I don't have to upgrade the thing everytime I get a new game for it."

They don't have any combacks after that.

Steve
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast