Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

@nangari try posting in the new user section for some advice re: your dead MacBook.
    Twitter: @aulia - Macworld.com blogger
    iPhone 8GB | MacBook White 2.2GHz 4GB RAM 120GB HD | iMac G4 700MHz 256MB RAM 40GB HD

Just made my first post in another thread, I suppose I should give a bit of an introduction.

I used to work for an advertising agency, was there for over 6 years. In that time I gained a fair bit of experience with macs from OS 8 onwards. Any reason a mac guy could give you to switch, I could give you examples from experience of how they were dead wrong and dillusional. If you ever heard me ranting or raving, I can guarantee you it was due to my utter hatred of them.

2 years ago I got my hands on Vista Beta. Found it quite bad, but put most of it down to being a beta. A year ago I got my hands on Vista full and just ran it on test machines. Today, I'm eagerly awaiting the iMac refresh. The apple stores in my area are sick of running outside with a mop to clean up my drool every time I wander past the window where the 24" iMacs are.

No matter how die-hard a PC guy may be (even one as bad as me), give them a copy of Vista and within 12 months they'll have made the switch with a huge smile on their face. I guarantee it.

Most of my questions have been answered either from my own experience supporting them, or from posts in here which is why I've done little but lurk the last few weeks. So uhh, hi.

Hey all , I recently started working for a printing company in the prepress area ( ive been assigned the very boring logon name prepress1 ), and b4 that i was doing desktop support( winblows box's) for a marketing and warehousing company.

Why did i say all that... coz i've never had any exposure to mac's, and after 2 months of using a mac 8 hrs a day, ive come to like mac's alot, i can see manny advantages and some disadvantages to using mac's.

Now that im a new convert, i'm wanting to learn more , i can't help it, its the computer nerd in me, and i figured what's best place to get advice etc... A mac forum like this.

So be prepaired for stupid /obvious questions... also if any1 wants to me point at any books or online resources , that would be most welcome.

My Ultimate goal, is to start teaching me myself the basics and get up to a basic level of skill, so i can try n get a part time/entry level job working with mac's ( some kind of tech role ), in a yrs time..

Cheers.

hey

im bande28 aka blake. im 17...18 in november. im studying graphic design majoring in advanced advertising and multimedia at the commercial arts training college. i graduated high school with an OP7 which im very proud of :-D. i very happily work at next byte adelaide street doing the training sessions and a bit of sales. im into graphics, motion and print. i have made a star wars lihtsaber fan film using the same technique as ryan wieber using AE. im a bit obsessive so my desk is very clean at the moment. well thats about all
     MacBook Pro V4.1, 2.4Ghz, 250GB DD, 4 GB RAM
     Apple 20" Cinema Display & Silver Bluetooth KB & MM
     iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    - 1TB, 320GB & 160 GB Free Agent External HDD (Time Machine, Media & Stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobaby View Post
    ... I can see manny advantages and some disadvantages to using mac's...
    Disadvantages? Let us in on the secret.

PS. Welcome to MacTalk

Hello all,

New here so saying hello.

Been a mac suer since I was a young kid. Used to be part of AUSOM (Apple USers Society of Melbourne) when I was younger and was actively involved for quite a while. Havent been in recent years due to problems making meetings.

Other than that I enjoy gaming, love my cars (mainly jap imports), and lots of different types of music.

Live in Box Hill Melbourne. Not much else to say for now.

DK

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Knight View Post
    Been a mac suer since I was a young kid. Used to be part of AUSOM (Apple USers Society of Melbourne) when I was younger and was actively involved for quite a while. Havent been in recent years due to problems making meetings.
    Welcome Dog Knight - you weren't around in the days of AUSOM with "Youth and Adventure" headed by Nick Dabner were you? I was there ... box of 10 800K DD diskettes ready for pirating

JB

Id never looked at this thread before. but decryption you look exactly as a imagined.

Im Lachie btw, been here a while but never really intro'd myself. im in yr12 at a pretty little school called Northcote High. Iv lived in North Fitzroy for about 16 months, before that it was Wonga Park.

Im a rock climber and Traceur (practitioner of parkour) and a tourntablist DJ. I also produce music for me and my mates hiphop outfit. Im a film maker (mainly parkour movies and documentaries) and die hard mac evangelist.

I grew up with macs, cant remember what my first one was. but i remember good and well our 640? performa or something like that. And playing allot of black and white Carmen Sandiago. I know a fair bit about networking and Audio Visual stuff.

Anyway i reckon that will about do it. thanks mactalk
    lachie

EDIT: @ Byrd. i remember AUSOM back in the day. dad used to take me along. i remember getting allot of free games because of my 6yo cuteness factor. not even kidding
    Successful Trades With: Slimey, ryano, vivid2, Byrd

2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, 500Gb, 4Gb RAM 24" iMac (Aluminium)

2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 500Gb, 4Gb RAM 13" MacBook (Aluminium)

Byrd,

Yeah I was around in the Y&D days. I was running it with Perry when it became "Network Gaming SIG". I remember back in Y&D days,. was good fun. Used to lug my old Performa 5260/120 along to the meetings. Name doesnt ring a bell, but I was quite young back then, about 12 or 14 I think. Would probably recognise the face if I saw you.

Daniel
    ** iMac 3.4ghz QCi7, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSHD, 500GB SSD, 6970 2GB **
    ** MacBook Pro. C2D 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, 480gb SSD, 8600M GT 128mb **
    ** G5 Dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM, 750gb HD, 6800 Ultra DDL 256mb & XServe RAID 7TB**

Quote Originally Posted by Huy View Post
    You guys must be old.
    You idiot.

Yeah, ancient relics.

Thanks for the welcoming
    ** iMac 3.4ghz QCi7, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSHD, 500GB SSD, 6970 2GB **
    ** MacBook Pro. C2D 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, 480gb SSD, 8600M GT 128mb **
    ** G5 Dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM, 750gb HD, 6800 Ultra DDL 256mb & XServe RAID 7TB**

Gday

I'm Markus from Trinity Beach.

I'm a new Mac user since a week, I bought second hand a ibook G4 1.2 Ghz 1256 RAM 30 GB HD and since them I'm really happy. No more problems with blue screen, virus and other bad things.

So happy that my wife want to sell her Windows Laptop to and get the feeling from a real good system with all the nice stuff in it.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ibookmate View Post
    Gday

I'm Markus from Trinity Beach.

I'm a new Mac user since a week, I bought second hand a ibook G4 1.2 Ghz 1256 RAM 30 GB HD and since them I'm really happy. No more problems with blue screen, virus and other bad things.

So happy that my wife want to sell her Windows Laptop to and get the feeling from a real good system with all the nice stuff in it.

cheers
    Welcome.. the stress free environment that is now your home computer welcomes you too!
    Successful Trades: krazy1, Astr0b0y, soulman, areal, smdnetau, Huy, Alessiman, step_andy, tibook, mulquemi, BoxDog, Devski, The Keddi, decryption

I feel like a dinosaur among all the students in the forum, but that doesn't stop me declaring myself a long time mac owner, from a Classic over 15 years ago to my current laptop and two ipods. Before that I used macs at work (uni, maths).

My name is Tony, and I was probably one of the first people to program a computer in South Australia: the valve computer at WRE whilst a vacation student in 1960. After that I learnt Fortran in the first such course in SA - two weeks during the vacation - and then programmed the first transistor computer in SA.

Later I was on the committee to tender for computers for the various CAEs in SA (remember them?)
    We paid a huge sum for a large box with 24k of 16-bit memory (copper coil), a teletype and a removable disc in its own box - 128k and HUGE.

I wouldn't have anything but my beautiful, reliable macs. I have talked both my children into changing over - not hard, really.

Astonishing to think that my phone contains vastly superior computing power to those early mainframes.

favell44.. wow.. you should write an article for this site on your experiences in the early days, I love to hear that stuff...

Mod's take note... approach this member for some goods!!
    Successful Trades: krazy1, Astr0b0y, soulman, areal, smdnetau, Huy, Alessiman, step_andy, tibook, mulquemi, BoxDog, Devski, The Keddi, decryption

I am furious. I have been a member of MacRumors for a few years now I was looking for a more local flavour.

Yeah, I second Rastas idea. I love hearing first hand experiences of early computing - what hardware they were running , what language they learned , what programs etc. One of my mates' old man was an early SGI and IRIX adoptee after many years of running mainframes for various govt departments and other organisations. He has lots of stories and is a walking encyclopedia of computing history. I'd love to see some articles here.

Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

someguy Guest

Hey all

Im Glynn (someguy)

Im in my last few months of school (Yr 11) then a year at tafe then 5 at Uni studying network/system administration.
    I currently run my own business (itdomainaustralia.com) and work occasionally as a sys admin at a company in murray bridge (SA)

I have been a mac user for around 5 years now with my first being a Performa 550 and my current being a Macbook + 22" Asus

I am obsessed with cars and am currently about to begin restoring a 1967 Chevrolet Impala and also working at various motorsport events such as Mallala Race course, Collingrove hillclimb, Clipsal 500 & Bathurst.
    I am a massive Chevrolet & Subaru lover, I currently have a Subaru L series 4WD wagon which I take bush bashing at our 340 acre farm property.

I love just going out with mates and also attending/hosting 24 hour Lan parties.

And thats pretty much my life!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Didn't see this post before now.

I'm new here, been a mac switcher for going on two months now after having used PC's since the early DOS days (I'm 34 and my dad had a computer company). My Mac of choice was a new Macbook Black, 4GB and 250GB drive.

Originally from South Africa, I was transferred over to Australia to set up a new branch of a consulting company 2 years ago so I'm busy running that at the moment, with 2 days a week of project management and consulting to keep my head in the game and make sure I still understand the business. The company is doubling in size every year so at the moment the growth has kept me pretty busy.

As for Mac, so far I'm loving it, and I don't see myself switching back to PC unless OSX 10.5.4 is something that looks like Vista, in which case I'll have to find something on linux. My wife should be switching across too when she replaces her current notebook.

Hobbies - kitesurfing and photography

Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast