Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Apple adds official Windows 7 support in Boot Camp (finally)

After much ado of getting this update out in December, Apple finally delivers and now is offering official support for Windows 7 in Boot Camp both in 32 and 64 bit

Windows 7 Boot Camp - Appleinsider
    Computations: White MacBook 2.2GHz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, various other PPCs
    Audiophilia: iPod touch 16GB with iPhone OS 3.0 for iPod touch
    Telephonics: iPhone 3G 16GB White on Virgin Free To V Cap $70

Finally, I can put W7 in BC.

Anyone know what the cheapest way to get a legit version of Win 7 64bit? Would prefer the Ultimate version, but price is a significant factor. So happy to downgrade if required. Thanks.

I saw this support doc from Apple: Boot Camp: Windows 7 installation frequently asked questions
    Saying that the following Macs are not supported for Win7 Boot Camp:

• iMac (17-inch, Early 2006)
    • iMac (17-inch, Late 2006)
    • iMac (20-inch, Early 2006)
    • iMac (20-inch, Late 2006)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2006)
    • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2006)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2006)
    • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2006)
    • Mac Pro (Mid 2006, Intel Xeon Dual-core 2.66GHz or 3GHz)

Anyone know why these can't run Win7?

if you are a student or know someone that is a student then you get windows 7 pro for $49.95... details here:

Microsoft Office Discount for Students - It's Not Cheating

Quote Originally Posted by iTy View Post
    Finally, I can put W7 in BC.

Anyone know what the cheapest way to get a legit version of Win 7 64bit? Would prefer the Ultimate version, but price is a significant factor. So happy to downgrade if required. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfucamel View Post
    if you are a student or know someone that is a student then you get windows 7 pro for $49.95... details here:

Microsoft Office Discount for Students - It's Not Cheating
    Thanks for the info, sadly I don't qualify.

Also, its an upgrade. I need a full install disk, not an upgrade disk (as I don't have anything to upgrade).

Any other tips? I've heard its much cheaper to buy from US. I'd do this, but I'm unsure of the licensing rules if I were to buy from Amazon US.

Anyone tested the update yet?

It's not by any stretch of the imagination cheap... but if your really keen you can get Technet Direct for AU$512 less any discount you can find. 15% off is the norm, but I have seen up to 40% at times.

With Technet you get access to pretty much all Microsoft products (including Office, Windows, Server, Project etc etc) for "testing" purposes, which I'm sure you can legitimately call your Boot Camp/Parallels environment. The keys you get don't expire, so as long as you keep the ISO files and keys they continue to work outside your 12 month subscription. Sadly one thing they DONT give you is Office for Mac. But if you want to play with Windows and Office or have a machine you want to play with Windows Server 2008 R2 on... or Home Server or anything else it's not a bad investment.

To be fair, I first started with Technet before I went Mac, without having a full time PC it's value is considerably reduced, but since I do tech support in my spare time it's nice to have some Windows XP, Vista, 7 (not so much 2000 and '98 anymore) installs to test stuff in as well as access to anything else I might want to play with. I also run a server and am constantly fiddling, playing and testing different things on it so it's used on that side too.

Bottom line, if you have a Windows PC that needs Office and a Server you want to play with it's worth the cash.
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

there is a work around for that... the disc has the full version even though it says it's an upgrade copy...

the steps are to install windows 7 as per usual but don't enter the cdkey in (as it will reject because it detects that it's a new install and not upgrade). get through to after win7 finishes installing and then run the install again - the installer will then think that it's performing an upgrade even though all you are doing is installing a clean copy of win7.

it's weird but it works.

i heard that microsoft also mad available a family pack for win7 which works out cheaper than buying individually...

another idea might be to buy it from somewhere like umart or the likes and get the oem version - as long as you are buying some hardware (like a mouse or something) it still qualifies :S

Thanks for the info, sadly I don't qualify.

Also, its an upgrade. I need a full install disk, not an upgrade disk (as I don't have anything to upgrade).

Any other tips? I've heard its much cheaper to buy from US. I'd do this, but I'm unsure of the licensing rules if I were to buy from Amazon US.

Anyone tested the update yet?

Quote Originally Posted by kungfucamel View Post
    there is a work around for that... the disc has the full version even though it says it's an upgrade copy...

the steps are to install windows 7 as per usual but don't enter the cdkey in (as it will reject because it detects that it's a new install and not upgrade). get through to after win7 finishes installing and then run the install again - the installer will then think that it's performing an upgrade even though all you are doing is installing a clean copy of win7.

it's weird but it works.

i heard that microsoft also mad available a family pack for win7 which works out cheaper than buying individually...

another idea might be to buy it from somewhere like umart or the likes and get the oem version - as long as you are buying some hardware (like a mouse or something) it still qualifies :S
    Thanks for awesome info. I'll have to find some students...

Thanks for awesome info. I'll have to find some students...
    Don't forget to have a really good wash afterwards
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

The delay on BC 3.1 can be laid at the feet of Microsofdt, by the way. Apple had 3.1 finished last November, but they submitted them to Microsoft for certification. Redmond were tardy in granting W7C stamps.

As to why there are some machines that 3.1 won't work with, I can only surmise there is an engineering peculiarity or a chipset weirdness.

Quote Originally Posted by Brains View Post
    The delay on BC 3.1 can be laid at the feet of Microsofdt, by the way. Apple had 3.1 finished last November, but they submitted them to Microsoft for certification. Redmond were tardy in granting W7C stamps.

As to why there are some machines that 3.1 won't work with, I can only surmise there is an engineering peculiarity or a chipset weirdness.
    Microsoft tardy?! Surely you jest!
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Right, apparently why some machines aren't compatible is becuase their saddled with EFI32. Ostensibly -- and this would require experimentation -- you should still be able to install WIndows 7 in 32-bit-only mode on the listed machines.

I just installed Boot Camp on my MacBook Pro, downloaded the 400mb installer but when I launch the application it just installs the NVIDIA drivers. Nothing else. Any ideas?
    MacBook Pro 17" Aluminium Core i5, 500GB
    Mac Mini 2.4Ghz, 320GB
    iPhone 4 Black, 16GB

T its an upgrade. I need a full install disk, not an upgrade disk (as I don't have anything to upgrade)
    you can install from the upgrace DVD, select custom install and then let the installer format/partition your drive.

Just dont put your Key in until you have completed the install, then activate as usual.

Worked for me!

This may help - Install W7 onto clean HDD with Upgrade media
    iPhone 3GS 16G - Alu iMac 2.4G/4G/1TB - iMac Core Duo 2.0G/2G/250G