Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Ripping an audio cd with a mac

Hi guys,

I was so used to using Windows Media Player by inserting my cd then ripping the entire disc or selected tracks at either WAV or MP3 at my desired bitrate.

Is there anyway I can do the same with a Mac?

you can rip CDs using iTunes, in pretty much the same manner
    15" MacBook Pro C2D 2.6Ghz 6Gb RAM, 320GB 7200 HDD, 512 VRAM & 23" Cinema Display
    3g iPod 30GB & 4g iPod photo 60GB & 512Mb shuffle & 2g shuffle & iPod touch 8GB
    & 3G iPhone 16Gb

flickr

Quote Originally Posted by yinyang View Post
    you can rip CDs using iTunes, in pretty much the same manner
    Preferences > "When you insert a CD" ask to Import CD

Click Import settings and select your chosen format (I'm using AAC, for example) and my setting is Custom 288kbs.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

iTunes seems the way to go!

I would actually prefer MP3 format - does iTunes rip this format and does it support it?

Quote Originally Posted by cheekyage View Post
    iTunes seems the way to go!

I would actually prefer MP3 format - does iTunes rip this format and does it support it?
    it does - in the prefs you can also select MP3 instead of AAC
    15" MacBook Pro C2D 2.6Ghz 6Gb RAM, 320GB 7200 HDD, 512 VRAM & 23" Cinema Display
    3g iPod 30GB & 4g iPod photo 60GB & 512Mb shuffle & 2g shuffle & iPod touch 8GB
    & 3G iPhone 16Gb

flickr

Activate iTunes.
    Click on the very top-left menu item next to the Apple menu, called: iTunes and scroll down to: Preferences...

In the Preferences window, click on the first General tab button.
    (It looks like a white light switch).

At the bottom of the General window, you will see: When you insert a CD: and you can click once on the button next to it and scroll to: Ask To Import CD.

To the right of this, click on the Import Settings... button.

In the Import Settings window, next to: Import Using - your choices are:

ACC Encoder
    AIFF Encoder
    Apple Lossless Encoder
    MP3 Encoder
    WAV Encoder

and beneath these choices, the Settings button which allows you to change the Sample Rate and the Sample Size and a few other settings, depending upon which encoder you've chosen.

Once you're happy with the Settings, make sure there's a tick in the Use error correction when reading Audio CDs check box and then click the OK button.

Click the Preferences lower-right OK button, and the next time you insert a CD into your Apple Mac, it will ask you whether you want to Import it or not.

Sometimes, we just want to hear something real quick and don't want to Import, so it's good to have it ask you first.

You can also make certain that iTunes automatically opens when you insert an Audio CD, by clicking once on the top-left Apple menu and scrolling down to: System Preferences...

In the System Preferences window, click once on: CDs & DVDs - it has the icon of a CD Disc.

In the CDs & DVDs window, next to: When you insert a music CD, make sure that the button next to it is set to: Open iTunes.

Then Quit out of System Preferences, and you're Apple Mac is set to automatically open iTunes the moment you pop in an Audio CD, and automatically ask you whether you want its contents imported into iTunes.