Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

╗ Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Transporting a Macbook Pro

Hey hey.
    I just bought myself a new Macbook pro 15inch. Best purchase ever

Anyway, I'm out and about a fair bit travelling between home, work and the girlfriends place. Quite often on public transport and a fair bit of walking between destinations.

I would like to take my macbook with me, but would obviously like to keep it as safe as possible.
    So I was wondering what my best options are???
    What cases/bags/bubble wrap I should be considering??

Is there anything else I should know or consider?

Thankyou very much.

Yes - don't take it with you - don't take it anywhere.
    Superglue it to your desk.
    Eventually, something horrible will happen to it.

STM are pretty good, and design bags that not only protect a laptop, but also disguise its form, so that it looks like you're carrying school books and lunch.

Make sure you specify it as a portable item on your home contents insurance - don't think "It's automatically covered". If you take it out of the house it's not insured unless it is specifically noted by your home contents insurer. Will cost a bit extra but worth it for the peace of mind.

You might want to also think about accidental damage insurance on the same policy for it.

Check out crumpler bags. I have a couple of them and love them.
    Note: Any advertising image that may appear in my post is placed there automatically by this site and is not endorsed by me personally.

definitely get a glove...
    I have always found that a good bag isn't always adequate...
    especially if you ever want to travel with it via air.

X Ray machines - I just leave it in the glove.

I have a Hedgren bag - which is probably the best bag I have ever used (for business), and slide the glove in and out of it easily.
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

I have the 17" and a crumpler and take my MBP everywhere (well to and from work in the car and on the train everyday. I don't treat it like it's fine china, but then I don't throw it around like a football either.

If it's going to be out and about often insurance isn't a bad thing, it's also going to cover you for accidental drops, spills etc etc. Mine is still listed at $4,000 and costs me $68 a year as a specified device which I didn't think was too bad, mind you I haven't shopped around it was simply a call to the insurer while walking to the Apple shop saying cover me for my new lappy
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Thanks for the tips.

I am tempted to glue it to my desk at this stage But the whole reason I got a laptop is so I could take it with me.
    I'll look into some of the cases mentioned.

Thanks guys.

still..... take it with you for what crucial purpose?

I see a lot of people with laptops, both MacBooks and HPs on trains, and they never seem to be doing much with them - eg: sorting their music collection, looking at photos, surfing - etc.

It's as if they're addicted to using a computer.

I used a sleeve with my old MBP for a little while, but it's kind of pointless when travelling, because it only holds the machine, nothing else. Best investment would be a booq, stm, or crumpler bag. Messenger style for travel on planes, trains, cars, bikes. Possibly a backpack for bikes... I have no prob with my Crumpler messenger bag on my Vespa... works pretty well. Also goes on the train.

I do all kinds of absolutely important stuff on the train.... like invoicing clients Oh! and writing on Facebook "I'm on a train, invoicing clients". lol

The MacNN notebook bag thread has been going on forů 6 years+:

Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here* - MacNN Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ClockWork View Post
    I see a lot of people with laptops, both MacBooks and HPs on trains, and they never seem to be doing much with them - eg: sorting their music collection, looking at photos, surfing - etc.

It's as if they're addicted to using a computer.
    Most of the time I'm using my Mac on the train it's for the addiction...

Occasionally it's for work, but more often than not it's forums, personal email or looking up something I'm interested. I'm taking the laptop to work... well, for work. So it's with me anyway in the bag while I'm watching TV eps on the iPhone
    Drive a VW?

rushfaster.com.au

some excellent choices there

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Most of the time I'm using my Mac on the train it's for the addiction...
    Yet will you be prepared when someone (some time) decides they like the look of it and simply takes it off you - especially if they happen to be twice your size and weight and have the words HATE on "both" knuckles?

Quote Originally Posted by ClockWork View Post
    Yet will you be prepared when someone (some time) decides they like the look of it and simply takes it off you - especially if they happen to be twice your size and weight and have the words HATE on "both" knuckles?
    It's the same concern with the iPhone, you can't live in fear of what some other bastard *might* do. I will say that I'm a little bit careful and I only usually travel during peak hour (not that that is any help sometimes). I'm not stupid enough to get into a fight with some tool (or worse yet a tool with a weapon), I have insurance and very good backups, worst case I'm loosing 24 hours "work", the computer is password protected (as good as that is) and I'm then without a computer for the period it takes to get a new one (hopefully only a few days).
    Drive a VW?

An iPod or an iPhone one can stash quickly on one's person, yet a MacBook Pro would be taking Spinal Tap's alfoiled cucumber to a tremendous next step.

Oh - worth considering for the OP and hasn't been mentioned in quite a while, is the remarkable Orbicule's UnderCover software, perfect for cases of theft for both Note Book Apple Macs and iPhones.

Fully trackable and ingenious.
    Lorks! Oh lordy! My bottom's on fire!!
    [Joan of Arc -
    1431]