Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default I Just Realised There's No Macworld Keynote in 2010

I knew this since the '09 keynote, but damn, it hit me - the best bit of Christmas won't be happening this year, as there's no 2010 Macworld Steve Job keynote to look forward to

That you know of...
    Trading Feedback: El Guardo

I do not understand why Apple would get rid of such a great part of the expo. I know they don't want to be tied down to releasing updated and new products at 1 or 2 events a year but it is just something cool Apple fans can enjoy and look forward to, seeing the great leader give a fantastic and entertaining presentation!

CES!
    MacBook Unibody 2.4GHz // iPhone 4 32GB (Telstra) // iPad 2 64GB Wifi+3G
    twitter | lifestream | last.fm

Default Re: I Just Realised There's No Macworld Keynote in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by leachy
    I do not understand why Apple would get rid of such a great part of the expo. I know they don't want to be tied down to releasing updated and new products at 1 or 2 events a year but it is just something cool Apple fans can enjoy and look forward to, seeing the great leader give a fantastic and entertaining presentation!
    It's not Apple's event--it's IDG's (publisher of Macworld. There will be a keynote, but it won't have anything to do with Apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Successful transactions with tintinaujapon, sillydog701, decryption, ken-f, macmine, LaPastenague, Jordan M, leon, NathR32, trickcycle, froggy, scruffie, benerrol, hawker, midnight_e, loc04t, fission.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    CES!
    Don't think so. Why compete with all the other brands when you can command a dedicated audience that is devoted solely to your offerings. Further, doing so brings up the same problems noted below:

Quote Originally Posted by leachy View Post
    I know they don't want to be tied down to releasing updated and new products at 1 or 2 events a year but it is just something cool Apple fans can enjoy and look forward to, seeing the great leader give a fantastic and entertaining presentation!
    I think you'll find it still has more to do with not wanting to be tied down to releasing new and updated products over Christmas and New Years:

(1) As noted above Apple can command attention at any time of the year so why force a lot of your staff to forgo the holiday period with their friends and family, instead working insane hours in order to fill a 90 minute keynote and have all the related products pre-manufactured for immediate delivery.

(2) There's also a knock on effect with sales - smart shoppers hold off buying products prior to Christmas due to either prudence or wildly inaccurate rumours. Remove the guaranteed timing of the keynote, remove the temptation to avoid buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Japester View Post
    It's not Apple's event--it's IDG's (publisher of Macworld. There will be a keynote, but it won't have anything to do with Apple.
    (3) Japester's right - Apple doesn't profit from this event and effectively bends over backwards to pad out another company's event. Not gonna happen anymore. Apple gets the money or no one does.

All this leads up to my contention - it won't necessarily happen next year but I expect there'll be two WWDCs each year going forward. The first will happen around February/March and be for the iPhone/iPod Touch crowd. The second will be the existing June/July event for Mac Developers. The current WWDC is too busy both in terms of content and attendees, too many developers want to attend both iPhone and Mac sessions, and Apple can then control the timing and profitability of the events and the products that are released at each.
    Trading Feedback: El Guardo

Originally Posted by Beau
    CES!
    Don't think so. Why compete with all the other brands when you can command a dedicated audience that is devoted solely to your offerings. Further, doing so brings up the same problems noted below:
    CES has an Apple Pavilion dedicated just for Apple developers and designers so it could be possible (would be a good event to announce the tablet)

January 26 (US time). Early January 27 for us.
    Last edited by jack112006; 24th December 2009 at 10:52 PM.
     iPod nano 8GB 3rd Gen - iPod touch 16GB - 20" Aluminum iMac 2.0 GHz - iPhone 3G 16GB White - 15" Unibody MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz - iPhone 3GS 16GB Black - iPad 16GB Wi-Fi - iPhone 4 32GB Black

The Day b4 my birthday! Gosh! Very exciting!

We have the Jan 26th event instead to look forward to though. Developers have been asked to produce full screen versions of their iPhone apps, and with this event date it's looking very interesting.

Exclusive: Apple to host event in January
    December 23, 2009 8:18pm

Apple has something big up its sleeve for next month.

The company has rented a stage at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco for several days in late January, according to people familiar with the plans.

Apple is expected to use the venue to make a major product announcement on Tuesday, January 26th. Both YBCA and Apple declined to comment.

Man I NEED a live stream of this.
    People reckon I'm too patronising (That means I treat them as if they're stupid)

Macbook Air 11", Mac Mini, iPhone 5, Apple TV 3rd Generation.

Special Edition Australia iPod to celebrate Australia day!
    MacBook Unibody 2.4GHz // iPhone 4 32GB (Telstra) // iPad 2 64GB Wifi+3G
    twitter | lifestream | last.fm

I would rather access to some exclusive Australian content, rather than any physical changes in appearance to the ipod.
    People reckon I'm too patronising (That means I treat them as if they're stupid)

Macbook Air 11", Mac Mini, iPhone 5, Apple TV 3rd Generation.