Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Unhappy

Can anyone explain how i can synchsonise iCal between my office iMac and my powerbook?

Neither mac has bluetooth which i have been informed is one way of doing this and a friend once started to tell me how to do it over the web (a .mac account?) but has gone o/s for a while and is out of touch.

anyone... please!?
    colin

you can sign up for a 60 day trial for .mac and that should do it between the two macs, the link for the trial is https://www.mac.com/WebObjects/Signup.woa/w...&cty=US&lang=en ......i would think that it would work....but i'm not sure as i havn't syncronised iCal items, only contacts.....but there is an option for iCal i think....

The only way to keep iCal in sync on both machines is to use .Mac.

There is [b]no[/b way to sync iCal on both machines using bluetooth or any other kind of direct network connection, although it is possible to replace the entries on one machine with the other by copying the calendar files.

Thanks luke and spilla.

i found this last night:

Synchronize iCal on multiple machines via WebDAV
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...050414182034814

you synchronise and both subscribe and publish on both (or more?) machines. i have yet to try it as i have not set up WebDAV and will talk to a friend more apple savy than i to arrange this.

Apparently you can only go one-way with .mac (i.e. subscribe OR publish) and it costs money. i do not want to pay an account. I have heard rumours of sites that will do this for free, but have no details as yet.

Cheers,
    colin

With .Mac you can sync both ways. I currently sync my desktop machine at home, my powerbook, and my work machine through .Mac, and it works fine. The only downside with .Mac is that you do have to pay for it.

If you have OS X 10.4.x (Tiger) you access the .Mac syncing preferences through the .Mac panel in System Preferences. In 10.3.x you access sync preferences for .Mac through iSync. You don't have to worry about fiddling with things on .Mac itself or in iCal. It's a very different thing to publishing and subscribing to calendars.

I know you can publish and subscribe to calendars using WebDAV, but I didn't think it was possible to synchronise them via this method. I've only had a quick skim over the article that you linked to, but it certainly doesn't look anywhere near as easy as using .Mac. Plus, to use WebDAV you have to have access to a server that supports it, or set up Apache on your own machine.

I know this isn't 'syncing' and is certainly much more time-consuming, but if you're just wanting to get your contacts across from one mac to the other, just drag and drop your Address Book contacts into a folder on your desktop and copy them over to the other mac.

Another thing you might be able to do is to use Automator (Tiger) to do this as a repeatable task. Haven't tried it myself, but is just an idea.
    MacBook Unibody 13" | iPhone 5 32Gb | iPad 3 16GB | iPod Nano 6G | Airport Extreme | ATV2 Successful Trades: TomMelbourne | Mart | ajbeardy | Barticus | countmacula | mikinoz | Exocet | oddturtle | gmask1 | jeremywarnock | carlow1 | musky

You could also try iSyncCal, its a hell of a lot cheaper than .Mac/