Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy My baby and I have not bonded

In September or so last year I brought my new baby home. I was nervous and excited and like any new mum I wanted to do everything just right.

I wanted to teach my baby to do things so I bought it some toys. Slowly slowly, after spending more $$$'s than I should have I am now wondering if I am cut out to be a Mac mum?

I have had my iMac now for over a year and we have just not bonded. I don't know much more about it than I did a year ago and it is still keeping me up at night with much frustration and concern.

I have tried to add a new Printer, but I can only scan and print from the Preferences Setting as no other program seems to recognise the new Printer (Canon MP990). My Adobe PH Elements 8 cannot find a scanner, despite it clearly appearing online in the Preferences area.

It is running sluggish and thinking a great deal. I paid for Quicktime Pro but have lost it? Cannot find it in Applications - nothing.

I know nothing about general maintenance and housekeeping and I think I am still suffering Post Mac Depression.

I have subscribed to Screencasts online, but the baby is not happy downloading them at the moment and tends to run on a go slow.

Can anyone recommend any good tutorials (pref Video) where I can sit watch and learn and know how to fix little things that would normally take me hours to learn.

I am almost ready to go out and buy a new PC :o - I think I have failed in the Mac World haven't I?

T

Does anything here help you with your printing and scanning?
    Setup Secrets for Canon Printers | Ted Landau's User Friendly Blog | The Mac Observer

If you upgraded to Snow Leopard, then Quicktime Pro will be in Applications>Utilities

Just as a last resort have you done a backup and reformat? i find that works wonders! Then I only install things as I need them.

And have you gone to Cannon to get the latest drivers and software for your printer?

Just a couple of things to try,

Don't go back to a PC! Give your baby a little more time, it might be a slow learner :-)
    Trades with, Huy, PatrickH, tkilik11, chris, Taezar, bennyling, Simo, stewiesno1, MissionMan, cgollner, napes, mechcon, lama323, snagage, ClockWork, Beau, Rasta, Freeze, Petecario, Simmo, Tokevmur, Beaner, thebookfreak58, Boddiz, neg2led, Foxy

Leon!! I want to cry - thank you - it does help!! I did all the things that he did ie; looking for the software in Applications, spotlight etc. and could find nothing!!! Bloody Canon!!

I will go back to the drawing board and read and follow his instructions.

Can I ask something? If I installed the MP990 Software onto my Mac about three times (yeah, I kept thinking I was doing it wrong), just it just overstrike the previous files, or does it add all new files?

Also, Screencasts cannot be watched as I have discovered that my landline is down and I can only do small things on Internet as Modem is struggling, so that is why I cannot get Screen casts online.

T

Wow, recommendations of a reformat and to go searching on the web for the lastest drivers sounds like she already is using a Windows based PC.

'it just works' LOL

and sadly, that is my recommendation also.

Nooooo no Windows PC in this house!

i do reformat the mac on occasion though! I like it all shiny and clean like when I first go tit, but I must admit that I upgrade as much as Anthony so it's not all that often I don't have a shiny new one! lol

Glad your getting sorted out though Luvlimum!
    Trades with, Huy, PatrickH, tkilik11, chris, Taezar, bennyling, Simo, stewiesno1, MissionMan, cgollner, napes, mechcon, lama323, snagage, ClockWork, Beau, Rasta, Freeze, Petecario, Simmo, Tokevmur, Beaner, thebookfreak58, Boddiz, neg2led, Foxy

Quote Originally Posted by Luvlimum View Post
    I am almost ready to go out and buy a new PC :o - I think I have failed in the Mac World haven't I?

T
    See, now in the real world, you're not allowed to exchange one baby for another, just because it doesn't behave as expected. You're not a failed Mum, you just need a bit of help and support.

Where the printer is concerned, perhaps its an old driver issue. I had to update Drivers for my now-outdated Canon scanner almost every time I upgraded the operating system. This is not failure, its just a matter of keeping up.

Canon Australia - Drivers plug in your printer there and make sure that what you have is the latest. Even though we don't have windows, everything doesn't just work like it used to when we used the Motorola CPUs (IMO) .. things work but they take a bit more time than they used to.
    [edit] just looked at that site myself. There is no MP990. Are you sure that's the model? Make sure before you search or download, a wrong driver can do you no good at all.

DON'T format unless all other possibilities are exhausted.

You don't need to buy a new PC, if you want out install Windows via Boot Camp.
    | iMac Alu.| 11-inch MacBook Air | iPhone 4S 64GB

Default Re: My baby and I have not bonded

If you want some of the SCO shows tell me which ones and I can burn them to a DVD and post them for you.

If you can get to Chadstone or Doncaster then book in for a workshop at the Apple stores there...

Apple Retail Store - Workshops

otherwise here are two posts on the Apple forums about teh MP990...

Apple - Support - Discussions - Canon MP990 + Snow Leopard - network ...

Apple - Support - Discussions - Lan problems with canon Pixma mp990 ...

For scanning I use an app called VueScan and then open the scan in Photoshop.

Hope some of that helps, but would definitely recommend the workshops
    15" MacBook Pro C2D 2.6Ghz 6Gb RAM, 320GB 7200 HDD, 512 VRAM & 23" Cinema Display
    3g iPod 30GB & 4g iPod photo 60GB & 512Mb shuffle & 2g shuffle & iPod touch 8GB
    & 3G iPhone 16Gb

flickr

Hi again,

I am reading this guys instructions and he provides a link to the latest MP990 firmware updates. This is what I have:

Which one do I download? Do I download all of them?

I am confused?

T

Edited to add: I am also reading the MP990 Forums supplied above (thanks) and one person suggested that I complete delete all the canon software that was downloaded initially and try again, but I cannot find this software in applications? Where would I go to look and how do I know what the filenames will be?

t
    Last edited by Luvlimum; 1st December 2009 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvlimum View Post
    Hi again,

I am reading this guys instructions and he provides a link to the latest MP990 firmware updates. This is what I have:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...age525x394.jpg

Which one do I download? Do I download all of them?

I am confused?

T

Edited to add: I am also reading the MP990 Forums supplied above (thanks) and one person suggested that I complete delete all the canon software that was downloaded initially and try again, but I cannot find this software in applications? Where would I go to look and how do I know what the filenames will be?

t
    When you installed the printer originally it would have installed some Canon suite in the Applications folder, well that's how it is for my Canon scanner/printer.

This may sound silly but instead of getting really frustrated and wasting your valuable time I would just bite the bullet, sell the printer on eBay to some pour soul with a PC and have a look around at a scanner or AIO printer that works out of the box with Mac. They are so cheap right now not to at least think about it!

Already one year… IMO you would benefit from someone going to your house to help you out. Have a set of questions ready.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeddi View Post
    Nooooo no Windows PC in this house!

i do reformat the mac on occasion though! I like it all shiny and clean like when I first go tit, but I must admit that I upgrade as much as Anthony so it's not all that often I don't have a shiny new one! lol

Glad your getting sorted out though Luvlimum!
    I would LOVE to backup and reformat, but I don't know how? I used to be really OCD with my PC child, I would clean and defrag on a regular basis - always keeping the PC running at optimum performance, but I am completely lost with my Mac child?

If I can get some sitters I will drive to Chadstone and do some of the workshops.

T

Leachy - thanks but I require this printer as it will scan slides and negatives AND print to CD/DVD. These functions are extremely important for what I do. I also hae researched this model, compared to the MP980 and 600 series before that. I almost bought the MP980 but it was fraught with too many issues. This model has just been released and as I had put aside the money already, I saw the reviews on this machine much more favourable and the bugs were well and truly ironed out.

I would love someone to come by and show me a few things with regards to childcare of the Mac. I live in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne and would be prepared to thank you with a coffee and cake??? I would just have to check that you are not an axe murderer first. I am good for a laugh if nothing else!

T

Sorry to hear about your frustrations T. But at least be comfortable in the knowledge that you are in the right place at Mactalk.
    No doubt there will be a kind soul or two that wouldn't mind visiting and helping you out from the forums.

What version of OS X are you running?

In 15 years of using Macs, I have never had to do a format and reinstall. I have chosen to do it on the odd occasion (system upgrades etc.) but have never needed to, so I would leave that as the absolute last resort

I am running Snow Leopard Version 10.6.2 and I wouldn't know the difference between that and a gumboot on a good day! LOL.

T

That explains why you can't find Quicktime Pro. It's not installed by default in Snow Leopard. You'll need to install it from the SL disc.

Quote Originally Posted by half goon half god View Post
    That explains why you can't find Quicktime Pro. It's not installed by default in Snow Leopard. You'll need to install it from the SL disc.
    Mine was still installed, it was in the utilities folder instead of the normal app's folder

Once you install it from the Snow Leopard disk it appears in Utilities, in the Applications folder.
    "When you kill a cow you gotta make a Burger"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast