Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Favourite Childhood Toys

G'day,

The Vintage Toy Room, Toy Review, Mattel, Barbie, Big jim, Gabriel, hubley, Kenner, hasbro, GI Joe, Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Remco, Tonka, Empire, Specializing in Marx Toys, Marx Action Figures, Johnny West, Louis Marx Toys from the 1960's and 1970's ,

When I was a youngster in the 80's, one of my favourite toys was my older brother's Smash Derby cars... You first equipe your car with doors, wheels, bonnets etc, then using a rip cord, zoom them across the floor towards each other, so that when they collide, all the bits fall off again.

In the States, it was branded Kenner, though here in AU is appears to have been sold under the Toltoys brand. They appear to have appeared around 1972 or so, which makes sense for my brother, born in '69, to have maybe had them as new. I've been watching them on eBay for a few years, and it's astonishing how much they can sell for if you have a complete set, including the box. Upwards of US$200! There's 2 sets currently on AU eBay, both more than my fiancée says I can spend.

I'd like to buy some though for my son (when he's old enough to play with them)... There is actually a modern version that I saw in Target, made by "Jasman", though they are all plastic by the looks. The originals had a metal frame - no doubt one of the reasons there are still quite a few of them around - though usually without the plastic accessories.

I'll reserve the right to announce something else is actually my favourite toy... :o but these were certainly one of them.

What was yours?

cheers

cosmic
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

astr0b0y Guest

1. Lego
    2. Parachuting men made out of one of my fathers hanky's and my brothers Star Wars figures thrown out of our tree house.
    3. The 40 gallon drum of ethanol in our shed and a box of matches

Ages ago i came across the amazing site that had all toys categorized by year, be dammed if i can find it now tho.

any hoo..

Voltron, Heman, Gi Joe, Transformers were all my favs!!

oh and the little bastard that lived down the street, man he copped it

a.

Toy soldiers. Just loved them. The drinks branded yo-yo's.

Also the old Holden that sat at the bottom of our garden.

Great to see some "out of the square" answers.
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Crash test dummies are the most memorable. I don't remember too much but i remember it was fun making them crash.

Oh! and matchbox cars, I had heaps of the track and the settings (bank, Mc Donalds etc).

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    G'day,

When I was a youngster in the 80's, one of my favourite toys was my older brother's Smash Derby cars...

What was yours?

cosmic
    I still have one of my Smash-up-Derby cars with all it's bits and one ramp. I remember when they gave them away as prizes on the Super Flying Fun Show with Marilyn and Marty and Emu!

My favourite was a Steve Austin (The Six Million Dollar Man). I still have it with all it's bits in a box somewhere together with some Planet of the Apes figures and Space 1999 space ships.
    http://macers.net/ - Happy Mac

Original metal Thunderbirds. Original Tandy 1xx-in-1 electronics sets with the spring terminals. Chemistry sets (I had four different ones) and my microscope. Building weird Rube-Goldberg-esque contraptions out of scrap bits of wood from my dad's junkpile and jar-lids and string and rubber-band puleys.

Speaking as a child of the '80's, my favourite toy would have to have been my black Jet Hopper . Granted it was slower and smaller than the Tamiya cars at the time (Hornet, Grasshopper and Wild Willy), it was fun to take for a spin. I still have it and it runs well...just missing a rear spoiler from one too many crashes.

Other standouts were:
    - Lego sets (great for rainy school holidays);
    - Coca Cola range of yo-yos (Superspin and Championship) were all the rage in primary school
    - Marbles;
    - Original Transformers collector cards (based on the cartoons that used to screen on TV before heading off to school in the mornings; and the
    - hand held Nintendo double screen games (Donkey Kong and others) they had brown and green plastic with silver covers....

Wow!

That Hopper looks a lot like my first RC car! A friend drove it into our pool...

I had a football shaped yoyo... seem to recall they were circa 1986...

I had Donkey Kong... still have it, though it's all but destroyed... picked up Mickey & Donald in about 1989 2nd hand, prestine condition though no box. $2 I think it cost me at a school fare.

Matchbox (?) cars that had those "spin around" damage panels... like the spin panels on some of the He Man toys...

Wont even go into Transformers....

Acetylene tank + plastic bag + rag + lighter/matches =

I would make aeroplane models, army man models, what ever I could for a whole year

THEN

firecracker night....

well, I AlwAYs had a big mess to clean up the next day

Lego (technics), Transformers, HeMan & Starwars action figures, Tandy MC-10 computer.
    I have kept all my lego.. hopefully my son will like playing with it!

Lego (Of Course) Matchbox Cars, toy Aeroplanes - ohh, and of course the DOS Laptop we had, until we got a compaq
    MacBook Pro 13" | iPhone 4S 16GB |

The old addage is never truer... They don't make them like they used to...

2 x Jasman Smash up Derby - Junk Yard Jammers Cars - eBay, Vehicles, Vintage, Antique Toys, Games, Toys, Hobbies. (end time 17-Apr-08 20:00:07 AEST)

That's something I saw in Toys'R'Us a while ago... modern version of my toy above - the smash derby... But the new version is all plastic, with no bits that fly off upon impact, and quite a poor looking build design...

My fav toys has to be
    a) Marbles (i'd go crazy over marbles, i still do)
    b) Marble Maze (Used to drive parents mental and they'd close all the doors until I had finished playing with Marbles.
    c) Big Bird / Q*Bert Dolls (still got em)
    d) Trolls
    e) any puppets

and anything that makes an excessive amount of noise (crash dummies, kerplunk etc)

There is one toy I can recall hiring everytime we went to the toy library, it consisted of 3 or 4 toy spiders and had to drop the spider in the top and the spider would crawl through some plastic building that was made for it, can't remember the name of it.

Another one here for the Jet Hopper, man I loved that and I just called my Dad and he says it is still sitting in our shed on the farm, next time I go home it is coming back with me.

My top 5 are...
    1. Jet Hopper
    2. The A-Team Van and Action Figures
    3. Dick Smith VZ 300 (My first computer)
    4. Voltron (until I lost Hank (yellow lion) in the bush)
    5. Lego (Light & Sound)

Ohh almost forgot, balsa wood - great for making planes powered by rubber bands!

Ahh the memories come flooding back
     iMac Alu 20" C2D 2Ghz 4GB Ram,  MacBook Pro 13" C2D 2.26Ghz 2GB Ram,  iPhone 3GS 32GB White,  iPod 80GB Classic,  iPod Touch 8gb & TV 160GB

Fav childhood toy

my baby-sitter ... every one should have one, battery not required.
    There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
    We do not believe this to be a coincidence. Jeremy S. Anderson

lego...soft toys...pen and paper :-)
     MacBook Pro V4.1, 2.4Ghz, 250GB DD, 4 GB RAM
     Apple 20" Cinema Display & Silver Bluetooth KB & MM
     iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    - 1TB, 320GB & 160 GB Free Agent External HDD (Time Machine, Media & Stuff)

U-Fly-It. A plastic plane on a piece of fishing line that you tried to land with a joystick tied to one end of the line. Extremely simple but we spent hours on it at a time.

My all time favourite toy as a child was our dog
    Pass the crystal, spread the Tarot, in illusion comfort lies

http://www.mistfall.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast