Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

If it is about the wank factor, go for the Tiffany, but remember your setting a precedent, you can't go back from here.

You can't even stay the same, each year will have to get better.

That could get expensive. Very.

I don't like yellow gold myself.

Given a choice I would prefer white gold over silver. It doesn't matter what you do with silver it tarnishes.

My own thoughts on the bracelet, it's all about the brand not the design. A beautiful piece of jewelry should be about the design, as I said just my thoughts.

Im with Granny Mac. You are setting a precedent and it can only come back to bite you in the future. I have been married for 39 years and never remember birthdays, anniversaries etc for that reason and there are no expectations....

Before I get flamed, I do make it up by providing random pressies - occasionally

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

It's not in the same league, but there's a jeweller near T&C at the Queens Plaza called Gilletts. They sell a lot online. Silver bracelets ~ from simple to unique silver bracelets ~ Gillett's Jewellers

Have a squiz at their online catalogue.
    2013 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4/500GB, 2x 27" iMacs, iPhone 5 Black, several iPads.

i know someone in brisbane arcade on the 1st floor who custom makes jewellery. he's quite good - i can send you his contact details if you are interested.

All previous jokes aside...I'd have to agree with Granny Mac.

I have one jeweler I go to that makes custom jewelery not necessarily over the top expensive but very different to "mainstream" stuff. DW is not necessarily overly impressed by the Tiffany's and other mainstream outlets. It's a bit more work than shopping from a catalog...but then you haven't just bought "another piece that sparkles".

Quote Originally Posted by olfella View Post
    I have been married for 39 years and never remember birthdays, anniversaries etc for that reason and there are no expectations....

Before I get flamed, I do make it up by providing random pressies - occasionally
    I never remember any thing, that's what I have a husband for

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Mac View Post
    My own thoughts on the bracelet, it's all about the brand not the design. A beautiful piece of jewelry should be about the design, as I said just my thoughts.
    no, quality of materials and workmanship are the key factor, of which good design is (typically, allowing for taste) a by-product.

Percy Marks
    twitter :|: mwot MT profile :|: mwot

In my mind design incorporates quality of workmanship and materials, its the whole package, but that mainly comes from my sewing background. A fashion designer will spend just as much time selecting suitable materials as making a pattern.

Don't get mass produced jewellery it has no "soul". I consider Tiffany stuff mass produced. It will mean much more if it's a unique gift.

Go talk to a manufacturing jeweller, make sure that they actually do their own work. Ask them if you can buy some materials, a presentation box and a suitable amount of labour. Then present the materials in the box to the other party. The cost of doing this isn't much higher then "off the shelf" stuff, especially if you're paying for the brand.

Let them design their own piece.

This is what I did when I proposed to the love of my life.

Here's a looksee at her engagement ring at the time of the proposal:

And as it is now:

There's also enough gold left over for our wedding bands and several anniversaries. I like the idea of them all coming from the same block of gold. By weight there's actually more "gold" now because it has been alloyed to make it 18K. I also had much more control over the source and quality of the gem. Ever noticed how most "off the shelf" diamond rings tell you nothing about either? There's a reason.
    Last edited by toholio; 8th October 2009 at 04:32 PM.

Tiffany? I thought that's some breakfast place...?

If you buy a bracelet get one with a GPS location tracking device, depending on your budget Then again, just get her an iPhone and register it with your MobileMe account - does the same job!

Cheers
    Steffen.
    It's Unix, Jim, but not as we know it...

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Mac View Post
    In my mind design incorporates quality of workmanship and materials, its the whole package, but that mainly comes from my sewing background. A fashion designer will spend just as much time selecting suitable materials as making a pattern.
    i've seen too much imitation/dress jewelery that looks impressive / great at a distance, but where the materials used and the finish of backings and clasps in particular are second rate.

but i do agree with you - and was what i was alluding to earlier - that good craftsmen by default seek the best materials and put in their best efforts into creating their piece.
    twitter :|: mwot MT profile :|: mwot

Their is a great jeweler in Melbourne, doesn't help the OP, but everything in their store looks classy. Even if I don't like that particular design, you can still tell it's quality. At Eastland they are across the arcade from a goldmart or something, and it's like chalk and cheese.

Sounds like Dunklings...I have a friend who works there.
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

Quote Originally Posted by Apoptosis View Post
    S

Well, I unfortunately made the mistake of setting precedent about a month or two into the relationship with a white gold and diamond ring. So have had to move up from there lol.

Already done the ring. Not planning on having to buy the next one for a while yet lol.

Jeebus, you're screwed, never ever buy stuff like that early on, at one month most people don't even know their partners middle name. I think you missed the point....they weren't talking about any ring, but at two years...THE RING....

Having said all that, at 7mths, I gave her THE RING....8 yrs on now, all she has expected is an eternity/maternity ring..and she got that years ago.
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    Jeebus, you're screwed, never ever buy stuff like that early on, at one month most people don't even know their partners middle name. I think you missed the point....they weren't talking about any ring, but at two years...THE RING....

Having said all that, at 7mths, I gave her THE RING....8 yrs on now, all she has expected is an eternity/maternity ring..and she got that years ago.
    You guys are beginning to make me feel bad. I was thinking of something at the 50 year mark... and then maybe a bunch of flowers...

Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    Sounds like Dunklings...I have a friend who works there.
    No, Temilli's. Beautiful stuff. They only have 3 stores. Not that we buy much, but daughters engagement came from them and other daughters 18th b'day gift as well.

prerecorded's Avatar prerecorded is offline Nobody's Mrs anything! That's Ms, thank you.

My partner of 8 years has never given me jewellery and he's never likely to.

BUT, if I was given a Tiffany box I'd be extremely apprehensive, as it would be about an 80% chance I would HATE what was in there. Which would make me so torn, because you can't be ungrateful for such a big gesture, and you can't not wear something so expensive!

I'd much rather that money go to a talented local jewellery designer, I much prefer interesting, original, non-mass-produced, hand-crafted jewellery. You just can't buy that kind of thing in a shopping mall or Tiffany's.

It also means that I'm a bitch to buy for, because standing in front of a jewellery store window, my boyfriend can never pick the things I like the most. And I'd never wear something I wouldn't pick myself.

So this is just my very personal perspective, but not every woman is impressed by a blue box and logo, and OMG TEH SHINEEEZ. It does matter what's in the box, we're not all just salivating over any old pricey baubles shoved our way.

If your gift is truly thoughtful and reflective of what she would like to receive, then the only precedent you're setting is for each year to be just as thoughful and insightful. Not necessarily to buy more labels and drop more cash.

try some of the smaller independant jewellers and also the second hand jewellers along the Brisbane Arcade, off the QSt Mall through to Adelaide St.

some great stuff in there; and that's coming from someone who's well & truly done the laps of Brisbane's best jewellers, plus this little store on Fifth Avenue at 57th Street,
    New York City.

Bracelet?

Collar and shackles. Chain to the kitchen.

Sorted.

(she knows you care, and you know where she is)
    Ice Ice . . . . Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by prerecorded View Post
    If your gift is truly thoughtful and reflective of what she would like to receive, then the only precedent you're setting is for each year to be just as thoughful and insightful. Not necessarily to buy more labels and drop more cash.
    +1 to this... I'd be just as happy with a well thought out home-cooked meal - and the dishes done afterwards

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast