Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    MacEmpathy Guest

Default Possible MacBook Pro Refresh?

As you all know, intel has just released their latest mobile offering in the form of a nehalem chip, the i7. This will no doubt be included in the expected iMac refresh, with indicators also pointing to a Mac Mini refresh (although it's highly unlikely it will include an i7, but possible an i3 or i5). Now indications of a MacBook and MacBook Pro refresh are surfacing, with supplies to stores dwindling. It could be expected for the MacBook, which has for several months been the topic of a design change (like the iMac), but the MacBook Pro? Isn't this a tad too early, or is Apple deciding now to bring all their products in refresh alignment?

MacBook/iMac
    MacBook/iMac
    Possibly MacBook Pro?

wolfie is offline It's times like this, you need a quarter pounder.

I can't see it happening till early next yr
    Entertain me!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    I can't see it happening till early next yr
    I agree, this year is too early for a Pro update.
    iMac 27" i7 3.5Ghz 512 SSD| iPhone XS Max Black 64Gb | MacBook Pro 15" 500GB SSD

MacEmpathy Guest

That's what one would also think for a MacBook update, but it seems pretty definite. I do HOPE that the MBPs don't get refreshed this year, but you know how unpredictable Apple is (esp. with the iPod touch camera).

Depends on how you define 'refresh'.

If it's in so far as processor speed bumps and the usual increases in hard drive capacities (or reductions in pricing for such), then I would imagine early next year. If it's refresh to quad core, full 64-bit hardware then I expect it's going to be revolve around the new Light Peak connection technology developed with Intel (which is when I expect the remaining Cinema Displays to be updated).
    Trading Feedback: El Guardo

who knows? A minor speed bump may happen.
    MBP 2.4g 4g 128g
    nano gggggg 8g
    http://technewsonnet.com/

I would except a minor bump in specs the same time as the iMac/MacBook/Mac Mini updates, or not too long after (if there are processor updates available).
    20" Alu iMac | White 3GS
    Follow me on twitter

MacEmpathy Guest

Yes, but that jump will be to mobile i7 if anything. Also, their graphics chipset typically remains for two refreshes, and we're on the second. So, possibly new graphics capability also?

Quote Originally Posted by El Guardo View Post
    Depends on how you define 'refresh'.

If it's in so far as processor speed bumps and the usual increases in hard drive capacities (or reductions in pricing for such), then I would imagine early next year. If it's refresh to quad core, full 64-bit hardware then I expect it's going to be revolve around the new Light Peak connection technology developed with Intel (which is when I expect the remaining Cinema Displays to be updated).
    No one really knows but I think Lightpeak is ages away from the consumer pc market.
    So I think that the i7 chip will be ready in jan/feb in MBP.

However I'm not sure if the i7 will go into all iMacs but an update before xmas would make them millions more than no update before xmas.

I wonder what ever happened to FE 3200
    IEEE 1394 interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Definitely not

Just bought a 13" & 15" MBP today

New MacBooks, Mighty Mouse, Keyboard, Mac Mini possibly iMac's is my predication. MBP's were only updated in June, way too short for a product cycle.
     Mac Pro 2x2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB/3x1TB WD (Black) + 80GB Intel X-25M G2 |  24" LED Cinema Display |  MBP 13" 2.26GHz/4GB/120GB Intel X-25M SSD + 500GB (Optical Bay) |  Mac Mini 2.0GHz/4GB/320GB/256MB 9400M.

Yep, way too early for an MBP refresh, even if there are new CPUs available. I'd give it a few more months, maybe January.

I do hope apple go straight for the i7 mobiles.

We have been playing with C2duos for years now and its about time we move on from them

No point having another C2D refresh

Anyone think about Nvidia's issues with Intel and their announcement they wouldn't be doing any new motherboard designs until at least next year?

This would include a re-designed 9400m board for i5 and i7 mobile CPUs.

Inbuilt thick-slice toaster for sure instead of that crappy optical drive!

My partner would be pissed if there were any changes. She just forked out a big wad for a 2.8GHz 15-incher.

Reseller friend told me today to expect a Macbook Pro refresh in early March 2010. Was getting prices on a Macbook Pro 13" for a mate and was told by the reseller to hold off & wait for a likely March announcement. Speculation of course but we'll see in a few weeks. Perhaps the update could incorporate the Intel I7?
    Macbook Pro, Macmini, Apple TV, iPhone 5, iPad 3G.

4 month old thread is no longer dead

23rd Feb is the current rumour suggested (or wishful thinking). If next tuesday rolls past with no update, the favourite rumour will be 2/9/16/23rd of March... and so on.

It's pure speculation, but the consensus in this 4 month old thread was early in 2010 for a Macbook refresh, rather than the original poster's view in Oct. So here we are in early 2010 and a reseller is telling me to hold off on a purchase. That's enough smoke to make me feel it's likely.
    And if more people searched for relevant threads to post on instead of starting new threads all the time on the same topics, this forum would be a lot easier to navigate and the moderators would be happier. And isn't that what we all want?
    Macbook Pro, Macmini, Apple TV, iPhone 5, iPad 3G.

Just read this:
    Intel's MacBook Pro update slip: what to expect

Interesting...

Looking at past refreshes the macbook may not be updated until around june, the macbook pro looks as though a refresh should happen between now & early april but then it may be june with a complete design overhaul and much better specs. I'd also like to see a macbook mini, yes i know the iPad but a 10" version of the macbook would be ok I could see a lot of use for it around home

I'm planning an upgrade in July-ish, so any time before that is good by me
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast