Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Recommend Email Hosting Providers

Hi all,
    Looking for a new email hosting provider that is reliable and not too costly.
    My current provider just isn't cutting it and today has been the last straw, so it is time to move on I think.

Only stipulations I have, is that it must support IMAP and the iPhone. Other than that, I'm not too worried, though a large amount of storage would be nice

Any recommendations?

Hi grfxninja,

I set up the last office I worked in with emailanywhere.

IMAP and iPhone are supported.

"Not too costly" can mean a lot of different things to different people, but they proved to be pretty cost effective for a small business. Pricing is based on storage limits.

They're a Mac friendly bunch, and support (although Melbourne based) was fantastic. If I recall correctly, they also gave us a free 'trial' period while everything was set up.

Cheers,

stomick.

You can get Google to do your email. I have no idea as to the costs for a business however.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Quote Originally Posted by Lutze View Post
    You can get Google to do your email. I have no idea as to the costs for a business however.
    Just had a quick look. Looks to be $50 per year per user which is definitely within the price range.

One quick question: does user = mailbox?
    So I have 3 email accounts that I run through my business, but I am the only person who accesses them - would that still be classed as 3 users?

Quote Originally Posted by grfxninja View Post
    Just had a quick look. Looks to be $50 per year per user which is definitely within the price range.

One quick question: does user = mailbox?
    So I have 3 email accounts that I run through my business, but I am the only person who accesses them - would that still be classed as 3 users?
    I honestly don't know. If it says anything about aliases then you should be fine, as that's all you are doing. Gmail would be perfect because of the filters that you can set up.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

I have just found this....

For example, if your email address is "user@gmail.com", mail sent to "user+newsletter@gmail.com" will also reach you. Later, use Gmail's filters should that address fall into the wrong hands.

on their support site.

So, for example:
    Manager+mybusiness@yourgmaildomain.com
    Director+mybusiness@yourgmaildomain.com
    Worker+mybusiness@yourgmaildomain.com

*should all end up in the same account*

I use Google for MacTalk's email - you just point your domain name to Google's servers and let them handle the rest.

Mailboxes = users. But if you're the only person using it, you can set up aliases instead. I have decryption@mactalk.com.au, anthony.agius@mactalk.com.au, info@mactalk.com.au that all point to anthony.agius@mactalk.com.au

You also get free push email, contacts and calendars with Google

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Google is free for less than 50 users. Use it, its excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutze View Post
    I have just found this....

For example, if your email address is "user@gmail.com", mail sent to "user+newsletter@gmail.com" will also reach you. Later, use Gmail's filters should that address fall into the wrong hands.

on their support site.

So, for example:
    Manager+mybusiness@yourgmaildomain.com
    Director+mybusiness@yourgmaildomain.com
    Worker+mybusiness@yourgmaildomain.com

*should all end up in the same account*
    You have it back to front:

mybusiness+Manager@yourgmaildomain.com
    mybusiness+Director@yourgmaildomain.com
    mybusiness+Worker@yourgmaildomain.com

will all reach mybusiness@yourgmaildomain.com

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Google is free for less than 50 users. Use it, its excellent.
    There is not set limit for the free user accounts - I have 5,000 on one of my domains. You can request more users at any time and if google sees that you are using most of your allocation amount they usually allow the increase.

MacBook Unibody 2.4GHz // iPhone 4 32GB (Telstra) // iPad 2 64GB Wifi+3G
    twitter | lifestream | last.fm

I have an domain email that forwards to a google email address, but I can't seem to reply using my domain name.

I have tried to set this up in gmail, with the defult reply address my name@mydomain, but it doesn't work from the iPhone.

Any ideas? I hope i'm not hijacking the thread.

EDIT:

Found the answer!

Gmail on the iPhone How to show the correct ‘From’ address | Ian Richardson
    Last edited by chaosboi; 30th September 2009 at 07:05 PM.
    twitter | flickr | Blog | My Website
    20" Aluminium iMac • 16GB White iPhone • Black MacBook • Apple TV

Yeah I am in the process of setting up the 30 day trial for the Google Apps premier version, and had to supply CC details for 3 users because I didn't see anything about aliases/nicknames…
    So I am going to change it to just one user with the aliases pointing to it which suits me fine. I'll be finishing the process tomorrow hopefully - got to get in contact with the current provider and left it too late today. Looking forward to tearing him a new one

Thanks for the link to Google Apps, never realised they did this sort of thing lol! (I knew about the calendar and gmail stuff, but not the premium stuff)

I started using Google Apps a few weeks ago. Excellent once you have it up and running.

Also have a look at Mailplane for managing your email instead of Apple Mail.

Yep Google.com/a all the way.
    eMac | G5 | iMac | iPod | iPhone3G | iPad

does anyone else worry about Google scanning your emails? Remember they are primarily a market research company. or am I just being paranoid?
    Dave

If I find that I get a sudden increase in "marketing" email, Google will be gone immediately (I get enough as it is thank you very much!)

I don't know that they would be stupid enough to do something like that though, seeing as this is a paid thing. They would at least have to have some sort of opt out thing - I'm sure I saw something to that effect yesterday when I was going through the setup…

Just resurrected this thread because I wanted to see how the land lies with other email providers. Taking a look at emailanywhere which is much more than I need... this sudden desire to look around has been brought about by google's buzz. It dragged something I had posted elsewhere, a couple of weeks before, into my buzz, and I thought that was really r00d. I've disabled buzz entirely now but am looking around to see what else is out there. Sadly, my research hasn't turned up much.

I considered a return to bluebottle, I didn't mind the challenge/response model but it has gone for pay and the cheaper option is no option at all, really; a 250mb mailbox is pretty useless these days, and 1G isn't exciting either (and yes, I am comparing with google, yahoo and live.com).

Has anybody found anything else that's decent?

fastmail.fm?

After the Buzz fiasco, I have decided that, where possible, I will email through one of my Google hosted domains, as Buzz doesn't exist in those.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
    fastmail.fm?

After the Buzz fiasco, I have decided that, where possible, I will email through one of my Google hosted domains, as Buzz doesn't exist in those.
    I've just gone and disabled everything. I guess I can live with it... fastmail was a consideration, but the pricing for what I need, may as well stay with google. Its almost a temptation to get another top level domain and host it there... I dunno

Suitcase somewhere between Melbourne and Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
    fastmail.fm?

After the Buzz fiasco it made me realise how much private information google has, and how much they can be trusted to manage it (not much).

So, I'm going back to self hosting *everything*, email, jabber, not having my newsreader with them, and probably just use my snow leopard server at home, or one of my hosted linux servers
    Brisbane Cocoaheads | App Fission | Tune Locator - find nearby radio stations on your iPhone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast