Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by conufsed View Post
    After the Buzz fiasco it made me realise how much private information google has, and how much they can be trusted to manage it (not much).

So, I'm going back to self hosting *everything*, email, jabber, not having my newsreader with them, and probably just use my snow leopard server at home, or one of my hosted linux servers
    Thats something I have considered in the past, but not knowing how to go about any of it except for web, I have desisted. I imgine it would require a static IP, but DynDNS (if it stilll exists) would help?

Is there a step-by-step somewhere that tells one how to organise one's own hosting on one's own home server? (and now, having asked the question, am off to google to find links. Ironic, no?)

Suitcase somewhere between Melbourne and Brisbane

Yes, I see that dyndns run a service to do it, but I've always done it off of a static ip, and plenty times on the end of an ADSL link (even a few dialup links, way way back when)

Using Snow Leopard server, it's pretty much all graphical to get the basics happening, but if not there are plenty of good docs out there to glue the various bits together (I find anti spam the largest hassle to get setup)
    Brisbane Cocoaheads | App Fission | Tune Locator - find nearby radio stations on your iPhone

After the Buzz fiasco it made me realise how much private information google has, and how much they can be trusted to manage it (not much).

So, I'm going back to self hosting *everything*, email, jabber, not having my newsreader with them, and probably just use my snow leopard server at home, or one of my hosted linux servers
    The Buzz fiasco has made you realise Google have a lot of personal info?

Out of interest, what weren't you aware of prior to the Buzz introduction that made you comfortable enough to use all the free Google services in the first place?

Yes, I see that dyndns run a service to do it, but I've always done it off of a static ip, and plenty times on the end of an ADSL link (even a few dialup links, way way back when)

Using Snow Leopard server, it's pretty much all graphical to get the basics happening, but if not there are plenty of good docs out there to glue the various bits together (I find anti spam the largest hassle to get setup)
    Excellent. google told me a bit but not enough to make me confident in setting anything up. I suppose Spamassassin is the go with antispam, and yes, its *is* such a hassle, thats why I ended up getting my domain hosted at google. If I could host myself, I would buy another domain in a heartbeat.

I haven't upgraded to SL yet, but I guess that is about to happen, I want to send my emac to live with a deserving individual since its not really resellable and its taking space on my diningroom table which would be better put to use to gather junk... and so I have to let my Leopard disk go, because I just can't let it go only with Panther... not good enough anymore. I decided last night that getting SL today was a necessity, if I am going to do that.

So... I'll probably be back with more questions (I'll use a separate thread) once I have upgraded. Thanks for the headsup.

[edit] YIKES!! $699. Maybe not

Is it possible to run a server without the server edition?
    Last edited by kyte; 25th February 2010 at 08:25 AM.

Aladdin's Avatar Aladdin is offline Drink Coffee - Do Stupid Things Faster

You could buy a Mac mini server for $1399 which includes a copy of Snow Leopard Server.
    Rise & Shine: the early spoon gets the morning wood.

Hello!! ,

I'm using this
    email hosting
    you should try it. I don't know how much it cost you from your previous provider
    but I'm sure you can afford this one, a very effective for a small business.
    it depends on how much storage limits you want.

a very dependable when using your iPhone.

best regards

Skaxian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2