Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Check this out Safari and Firefox

Hi Guys, is it just me or the system. I was trying to check out broadband internet plans with bigpond. With Safari I get very little info on the page, but when I put the same address into Firefox. Unbelievable!
    Is there something wrong with my setup?

Internet Plans - Cable, ADSL, Wireless, Home Network, Dial-Up, Satellite - Telstra BigPond

KaighNyne's Avatar KaighNyne is offline Ignorance is bliss said the snowman to the sun...

Evidently, it's the same thing that's wrong with *my* setup.

I'm seeing the same thing here. Who knows what those kindly folks have done. Maybe someone here who's a web designer can look at this and figure out what's causing it.

Then again, *most* of the time I use Firefox, not Safari.

Same here, but as above, I use Firefox mostly (though I do have 16+ browsers installed).
    Yagan Kiely
    Website || IMSLP || Pirate Party Australia
     2008 MacBook Pro 15" — 2010 MacBook Air 13" — iPhone 4 (32gb) — iPad 3G 64gb— etc.

I get exactly the same info using the two different browsers - but in two completely different layouts.
    Boom - like that.

Mine looks exactly the same in both....

Maybe something is wrong with my system!!??
    MacBookPro 17 - G5 Tower 2x2GHz - MacMini - iBook G3 (Blue) - TiBook 667Mhz
    iPhone 4 16GB - iPad 2 - 60GB iPod Video - 40GB iPod - 2 x 2GB iPod Mini - 512MB iPod Shuffle - Newton

Gone back to Camino. Safari would not load some ebay pages properly (as well) and seeing I'm an ebayholic, gotta have full access

Safari has some issues rendering pages properly so they look like they are meant to. Incidentally, so does Firefox.

The unfortunate thing is that even though its a big pile of buggy junk, Internet Explorer is the most used browser in the world by a long shot. So most companies just make sure it renders ok in IE, and then forget about Safari, Firefox, Operah and all the other good ones.
    Jam Jam Jam.....Jam Jam Jam

Macbook 2.4GHZ 4GB RAM 500GB :: MacBookPro 13" 2.16GHZ 2GB RAM 160GB

Quote Originally Posted by rudiger53 View Post
    The unfortunate thing is that even though its a big pile of buggy junk, Internet Exploder 6 is the most used browser in the world by a long shot.
    Fixed.

Man those windows users a shit house at updating their software.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Quote Originally Posted by rudiger53 View Post
    The unfortunate thing is that even though its a big pile of buggy junk, Internet Explorer is the most used browser in the world by a long shot.
    Not true at all. Internet Explorer counts for less than 3% of bjango.com's traffic (all versions of IE).

The days of IE 6 being important are on their way out. There's plenty of sites that have dropped all support for it. MobileMe doesn't support IE 6. Basecamp doesn't support IE 6. There's LOADS of modern web apps that are written to take advantage of features IE 6 doesn't have.

I think you'll find that HTML5 is going to be the big turning point though... there's so many great things that it enables, and browsers that don't support HTML5 will lose market share.

Firefox, Chrome and Safari are doing very well right now.

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    Not true at all. Internet Explorer counts for less than 3% of bjango.com's traffic (all versions of IE).
    It's perfectly true. IE 6 is still the most used single browser version in the world. A lot of this usage is probably from mainly corporate networks surfing the internet during the day.

Bjango appears to be some iPhone dev company, I'm not surprised they have so little IE 6 traffic.

Check out
    Usage share of web browsers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IE accounts for roughly 65% of all users.
    IE 6 only is 24%, and IE7 and 8 are about 20% each.