Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default F****** piss weak FIA judgement

F1 News > Renault gets suspended disqualification

Renault F1 get a suspended sentence, no fine

Flavio lifetime ban, Symmonds 5 year ban

Drivers such as Weber, have to find a new nmanager unless they dont want their super licence renewed

So more punishment for drivers associated with Briatore than for Renault!!!!

Also Alonso's points from the race stand??? WTF??

I think I am finally done with F1, the FIA have killed the sport with their inconnsistenet rulings and favouring of Ferrari IMO

Quote Originally Posted by forno View Post
    Do you think he will be worried?

Dave

FIA = Ferrari Internationale de L’Automobile

I agree with Prost in that team managers should not be allowed to be driver managers also. There is just too much of a conflict of interest in there.
    I don't suffer insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I don't see the issue with his ban. He deserved it. Whether other drivers suffer as a side effect is irrelevant, he should have been banned for life.
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I don't see the issue with his ban. He deserved it. Whether other drivers suffer as a side effect is irrelevant, he should have been banned for life.
    I'm with this.

I don't think banning one of the biggest personailities in F1 is a light step.
    [B]| Flickr | blog | MacTalk Podcaster | Official PM-Bid Hater #1

Quote Originally Posted by arkenstone View Post
    I'm with this.

I don't think banning one of the biggest personailities in F1 is a light step.
    May not be, but, McLaren were thumped $100mill because one of their people did something without the knowledge of the team principal.

FIA International Sporting Code which states that "the entrant shall be responsible for all acts or omissions on the part of their driver, mechanic and passengers, each equally responsible for any breach of this code

The rules state that the federation can punish "any breach of the regulations committed by any organiser, official, competitor, driver, or other person or organisation"

The rules above being some of the justification.
    And in McLarens case, there was no physcical risk to other parties, to organise a crash of an F1 car during a race at a circuit with spectators is nuts and should be punished.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I agree, it does seem like double standards but we also don't know what happened behind closed doors, what the testimonies given indicate, who knew what etc. You may also find they had reason to suspect that Mclaren knew about the spying whereas in this case they only found two guilty parties and it was a clean cut case.
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I agree, it does seem like double standards but we also don't know what happened behind closed doors, what the testimonies given indicate, who knew what etc. You may also find they had reason to suspect that Mclaren knew about the spying whereas in this case they only found two guilty parties and it was a clean cut case.
    Fair point, McLaren may have known, but Briatore is the equivalent of Ron Dennis, so isnt that moot?

Besides, dont you think the whole spying thing was a bit to cheesy?

Surely a person holding "100 pages of technical data" wouldnt send his wife to the local office works to get it copied, he would copy it at work after hours or before the office was busy.

And dont you think it would be more likely he had it as data rather than a paper copy? And if he had it as a paper copy, why all the forensic computer investigation following the discovery?

I would have thought , there was enough grounds to exlude Renault from last years championship as they did with McLaren

Both have "brought the sport into disrepute". McLaren didnt gamble with drivers, marshalls & spectators safety. And ist safety one of the FIA's corporate charters

1. The FIA want more teams... so banning Renault would go against that.

2. A huge fine like the one given to Mclaren would have kicked Renault of of the sport as they are already looking to escape.

3. Briatore is just about ready to retire anyway. Pat Symonds will be missed as he's very talented.... but hey - you've got to break eggs somewhere.

4. What's the point of stripping points from them - it's not like they had enough to make a difference.

That, to me at least, is the logic that they followed when they came up with this. They knew they would be dragging it out further if they did anything else.

Wonder who Alonso and Webber will get to manage them now.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Quote Originally Posted by Lutze View Post
    1. The FIA want more teams... so banning Renault would go against that.

2. A huge fine like the one given to Mclaren would have kicked Renault of of the sport as they are already looking to escape.

3. Briatore is just about ready to retire anyway. Pat Symonds will be missed as he's very talented.... but hey - you've got to break eggs somewhere.

4. What's the point of stripping points from them - it's not like they had enough to make a difference.
    That, to me at least, is the logic that they followed when they came up with this. They knew they would be dragging it out further if they did anything else.

Wonder who Alonso and Webber will get to manage them now.

So if you are succesfull or cashed up, you cant get away with cheating, but if you are a midfielder then cheating is an option?

Quote Originally Posted by forno View Post
    So if you are succesfull or cashed up, you cant get away with cheating, but if you are a midfielder then cheating is an option?
    Certainly seems to be the way that it's gone.

The other issue, of course, is that Renault have been quite good at supporting other teams - making their extremely potent engines available to teams at a reasonable cost has helped a few teams out in the past.

I personally think that the team should have been banned from the sport, that all of the drivers involved should have been banned (including Alonso) and that massive fines were laid out.

The fact that a driver actually did what he was told and crashed under team orders is scary... I'd like to think that these guys are not so stupid - but obviously not. Nelson Piquet Jr. put people's lives at risk - it was HIS doing - he had the option to say no. Life time ban - and a huge fuck off massive fine.

I don't care that he's now come clean about it - he still did it.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Lutze View Post
    I don't care that he's now come clean about it - he still did it.
    And he only came clean AFTER his blackmail attempts failed (allegedly ).
    2013 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4/500GB, 2x 27" iMacs, iPhone 5 Black, several iPads.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinnugent View Post
    And he only came clean AFTER his blackmail attempts failed (allegedly ).
    Yup... that's the bit that really bites from my point of view. I said this in the original thread - There are plenty of pointers that show he's been trying to get them to favour him.

The fact that it's taken almost a year for this to come out is a pretty large highlight.. If another team takes him on it will only be a poor team that wants the publicity - and he'd have to bring massive personal sponsorship - basically he'd have to pay for his place.

Renault did get there by making good cars, but keeping their position by resorting to this sort of thing is not on.

And that's from someone who is just a petrol head, and not really into the sport mentality side of it!

Should have banned the whole team for a season. Full stop. Too much money usually means a proportional loss of morals unfortunately...

YouTube - We are the champions

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

I read somewhere that Renault's budget for this year's season was 300 Million Euro's. That's a BIG bucket of cash to splash around. I wonder how much of that goes into F1 coffers?
    2013 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4/500GB, 2x 27" iMacs, iPhone 5 Black, several iPads.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinnugent View Post
    I read somewhere that Renault's budget for this year's season was 300 Million Euro's. That's a BIG bucket of cash to splash around. I wonder how much of that goes into F1 coffers?
    I wonder how much cheaper they could sell me a Megane Renaultsport 225 R26 for if they didn't spend all that cash on bloody racing....

ahhh suing.. the past time of people with too much time and money...