Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Glucosamine & fish oil - Where to get in bulk and cheap?

My mum has been taking glucosamine & fish oil supplements for a few months now and says it has been helping her with her sore joints (getting old etc.).

Anyone know where I can buy this stuff in bulk so it's cheaper? (and before you ask, no, I haven't been to Costco to check )

Try comparing prices at Golden Glow - they're based in QLD.

A recent scientific study has linked fish oil with increased risk of Diabetes. A more round (broader spectrum) source of omega 3 is flax which you can also buy in supplement form.

Recent studies are mostly crap. Recent studies have linked vitamin E with lung cancer. F off. Vitamins are building blocks your body is made of and depend on. Preferably get them all from an excellent, superb diet. However that is quite often too hard. Supplement it.
    These studies are probably being carried out by a drug company that just wants profits.

Anyway I have used puritans pride in the USA, but there shipping can take a few weeks. It's shocking. Golden Glow is expensive.
    Mr Vitamins is in Sydney in Chatswood(Lower North Shore). They ship if you are not planning a trip to Sydney anytime soon.
    Mr Vitamins - Discount Health Foods, Vitamins, Herbs and Sports Nutrition.

Note: Norman Swann on ABC Radio National's Health Report, has discredited Glucosamine on the basis that aides and maintains new and healthy cartilage, yet once the joints are damaged - (cartilage wearing away), it is effectively useless.

It is now recommended that one takes Calcium supplement plus Vitamin D3 (and best to take double the amount of Vitamin D3) for bone and cartilage health.

The new range of "good" Glucosamine products are combined with Calcium, so it's the Calcium in that combined mix which is actually doing the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianmonty View Post
    Mr Vitamins is in Sydney in Chatswood(Lower North Shore). They ship if you are not planning a trip to Sydney anytime soon.
    Mr Vitamins - Discount Health Foods, Vitamins, Herbs and Sports Nutrition.
    Gotta argue that point - I'm one jump away from Mr Vitamins, and though they're handy, they really are expensive!

If one becomes a constant bulk buyer with Golden Glow, they often ship the stuff you're after, complimentary, for free.

It really is ridiculous how much this stuff costs, hey.
    While we're on the topic, is there a place to get those "women's energy and wellbeing" pills? Failing that, how about a source for lactose pills that I can use instead of the real "wellbeing supplement"?

I have been using fish oil for a couple of years and it has helped me enormously with my fused hip joint. I take no painkillers at all now and haven't done for ages. I buy my fish oil at the big chemist chains such as Chemist Warehouse. The supermarkets are too expensive.

Paul
    iMac 27 inch 3.4 i7 32 GIG RAM / Macbook Pro C2D 2.33 / 32 GIG iPad 2 / 8 GIG Nano / 32 GIG iPod Touch
    Podcasts - Originz and Mysteries Abound

Quote Originally Posted by avolve View Post
    A recent scientific study has linked fish oil with increased risk of Diabetes. A more round (broader spectrum) source of omega 3 is flax which you can also buy in supplement form.
    I have reports to the contrary.

Fish oil may benefit people with diabetes

Paul
    iMac 27 inch 3.4 i7 32 GIG RAM / Macbook Pro C2D 2.33 / 32 GIG iPad 2 / 8 GIG Nano / 32 GIG iPod Touch
    Podcasts - Originz and Mysteries Abound

We've been using VitaminMe for ages, really good service and pricing.

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Interesting, both studies were published in the same Journal (European Journal of Clinical Nutrition), however the one icant linked to is a more recent article. Guess its something up for further study.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianmonty View Post
    Recent studies are mostly crap. Recent studies have linked vitamin E with lung cancer. F off. Vitamins are building blocks your body is made of and depend on. Preferably get them all from an excellent, superb diet. However that is quite often too hard. Supplement it.
    These studies are probably being carried out by a drug company that just wants profits.
    It sounds like you are a conspiracy theorist. What do you have against scientific studies? How do you think we discovered the benefits of vitamins - through scientific studies.

The pharmacy near me (Amcal) has the Nature's Own 200 tabs for like $9.99.

That's what I use.

The issue with fish oil (which is predominately used for Omega 3, etc) is that it is high fat. High fat intake is directly linked to health concerns from untold number of studies.

My intent was not to get into a pissing match. There is a clear distinction between Omega sourced from fish oil (an industry 'by-product' that they want to make a profit from at all costs) and from Flax. The omega sourced from flax is a more complex variety (fish oil is not a broad spectrum omega source) and it does not have the high fat issues.

The article I referred to is the one inked to by @icant. If anyone really wants to read it, I can forward a copy (it is not freely available a subscription based peer-reviewed journal)

@Sebastianmonty does raise some valid concerns with scientific studies, not necessarily conspiracy theories. A good diet is a much better source of nutrition than (isolated) supplements. Flax being a more rounded omega source is directly linked to this...

Hey clockwork, thanks for that first link. Its about 3x less what i paid for a small bottle of tablets.