Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by dotnet View Post
    Cut him some slack, will you? He's merely living the Great American Delusion.

Cheers
    Steffen.
    True. It's his "job" to act this way. He must believe that the zune is better than ipod - or that vista craps all over OS X.

He's a salesman and he believes in the stuff he's trying to push, else what would his job be?

Quote Originally Posted by ClockWork View Post
    True. It's his "job" to act this way. He must believe that the zune is better than ipod - or that vista craps all over OS X.

He's a salesman and he believes in the stuff he's trying to push, else what would his job be?
    While he should believe in his product, he should also be aware that competition exists, and just yelling "we're number 1" won't make it so.

Any company whose execs have to forbid their spouses/families from buying competitors products has problems.
    MBP 2.4GHz | 4GB | 160GB + 500GB Little Big Disk Quadra | 17" + 20" ACD | BT600
    Mac Mini 2GHz | 4GB | 120GB + 1000GB d2 Quadra + 500GB d2 Quadra + 4000GB Biggest Quadra (TM)
    Linksys AM300 | Airport Extreme Dual Band | AppleTV 40GB

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by pengu View Post
    Any company whose execs have to forbid their spouses/families from buying competitors products has problems.
    If not anything, he should be asking them why they bought it and then using it to rectify the problems in their own product.
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

Yet none of that makes him clinically insane. It merely drives him to further desperation and denial. He believes his own lies and this makes him a true liar.

Yet... regarding the way he personally represents Microsoft, I will never understand why Billy-Boy decided it would be a spiffericious idea to make this clutz ceo.

Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    If not anything, he should be asking them why they bought it and then using it to rectify the problems in their own product.
    Maybe you could put it in some context and explain that by "executives" you actually mean Bill Gates, and by "spouses/families" you actually mean his immediate family.

This is reaching for reasons to hate MS and once again exaggerating the facts to do so. The video is a 72 second excerpt from a developer conference that went for hours, possibly days. Taken in the context of the day its probably not such a big deal, but when you're viewing it outside of that context he looks like a madman. The same could happen if someone filmed you for 30 seconds squinting in the sun or waving flies off your face while walking down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by gehenna View Post
    Maybe you could put it in some context and explain that by "executives" you actually mean Bill Gates, and by "spouses/families" you actually mean his immediate family.
    from The Sleeping Giant Goes on the Offensive - April 3, 2006
    Do you have an iPod?

No, I do not. Nor do my children. My children--in many dimensions they're as poorly behaved as many other children, but at least on this dimension I've got my kids brainwashed: You don't use Google, and you don't use an iPod.

This is reaching for reasons to hate MS and once again exaggerating the facts to do so. The video is a 72 second excerpt from a developer conference that went for hours, possibly days. Taken in the context of the day its probably not such a big deal, but when you're viewing it outside of that context he looks like a madman. The same could happen if someone filmed you for 30 seconds squinting in the sun or waving flies off your face while walking down the street.
    The guy is a fucking nutbag.
    Microsoft's Ballmer: chair-tossing potty-mouth ? The Register

This is nothing to do with hating Microsoft. There are plenty of other reasons for that. This is about a pathetic company with a nutbag CEO.
    Mac Mini 2GHz | 4GB | 120GB + 1000GB d2 Quadra + 500GB d2 Quadra + 4000GB Biggest Quadra (TM)

I can't see anything on The Sleeping Giant to backup your statements except that Ballmer's kids don't use iPods and neither does he - bearing in mind this is a 2006 article. I also don't see how he's any more or less eccentric than Steve Jobs, often referred to as a tyrant in his own right.

I can't see anything on The Sleeping Giant to backup your statements except that Ballmer's kids don't use iPods and neither does he - bearing in mind this is a 2006 article. I also don't see how he's any more or less eccentric than Steve Jobs, often referred to as a tyrant in his own right.
    You missed the point. Bill Gates bans iPhone/iPods from his house, Ballmer forbids his kids from using iPods/Google.

Given that the article is from before the iPhone was released, I'd imagine the iPhone is banned by Ballmer now as well.

The thing is, people like Ballmer actually believe the hype/marketing/FUD
    You missed the point.
    No I get your point, what I take issue with is the way you lay down a blanket statement without qualifying it. You say "execs" which infers a mandate by the organisation. When in fact it is two individuals who made their own choice to do so. And obviously they would, those two individuals at the time led the whole organisation and had an example to set. How would it look to their customers if they touted the fact that they used competitive products - especially when they were just entering the market space with their own product line? This happens across the board in business so lets not pretend otherwise.

Even before all that your comment about what "people like Ballmer actually believe" was purely speculative and in no way supported your argument. You have no idea what an individual believes, other than what has been said in interviews and articles, and the odd YouTube video. Would you rather he say "Well we're selling this new product, the Zune, and while I truly believe it is a good product I don't actually think it's going to do very well against the iPod. But hey, I'm in charge so it's about time I did something productive with my time!".

I'm sorry but I think what you're saying is grabbing at straws and is unfounded nonsense.

No I get your point, what I take issue with is the way you lay down a blanket statement without qualifying it. You say "execs" which infers a mandate by the organisation. When in fact it is two individuals who made their own choice to do so. And obviously they would, those two individuals at the time led the whole organisation and had an example to set. How would it look to their customers if they touted the fact that they used competitive products - especially when they were just entering the market space with their own product line? This happens across the board in business so lets not pretend otherwise.
    If you took that to mean its a company mandate, that's your mistake not mine.

We're not talking about what they personally use, we're talking about what they force their families to use. I'd have more respect for them if they said "ok, you can have an iPod/iPhone/use Google/etc, if you tell me why you prefer it", then come back in 6 months with an improved product/service, and see if the person still wants to use the alternative. If their own families don't use their products by choice, why the fuck would anyone else!?

Even before all that your comment about what "people like Ballmer actually believe" was purely speculative and in no way supported your argument. You have no idea what an individual believes, other than what has been said in interviews and articles, and the odd YouTube video. Would you rather he say "Well we're selling this new product, the Zune, and while I truly believe it is a good product I don't actually think it's going to do very well against the iPod. But hey, I'm in charge so it's about time I did something productive with my time!".

I'm sorry but I think what you're saying is grabbing at straws and is unfounded nonsense.
    If he doesn't really believe what he spouts of all the time, then fuck me he has problems. People don't get that excited over shit they don't believe in.

There is a difference between completely dismissing competing products without any idea what people want, and saying "he'res our product, it's crappy". What would be better, would be if he actually acknowledged that people prefer competitors products, and found out WHY.

Damn Pengu, you need to chill a bit, 2 ding dong threads in 2 days!

Hilarious. Laughed so hard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2