Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: Sand Animation

Thumbs up Sand Animation

ok i thought this deserved its own thread because of how amazing it is. mods, feel free to move it if you do not agree.

VIDEO NO WORKY

it's a very moving sand animation performance from ukraine's got talent. great story told to a moving soundtrack. highly recommended!
    Last edited by Phorte; 3rd September 2009 at 08:10 AM.

Well yes, very moving and all... but!

VIDEO NO WORKY

MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA nice! totally forgot about that 'show'!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Well yes, very moving and all... but!

A_ighLADtZU
    Yes... yes... by all means - take sadness and beauty and replace it with some infantile rubbish...

Wow.

I'm speechless. I found it so hard to watch her destroy such beautiful images... only for another to appear a moment later. Such emotion from sand!

Indeed - entire crushing histories and lives from birth to death to rebirth as empires rise and fall like so much dust - sadness, beauty and impermanence.

My mouth just dropped.

My housemate Sharron has a DVD of Simonova's work (from 2008, a good year before her win on the Ukrainian talent show) which we use in our VJing setup; it runs for just over 35 minutes and is absolutely stunning. The intense contrast between the dark sand and bright background of the light-table she uses makes it great for keying over video with for sensational morphing effects.

Absolutely brilliant

That second clip is shit compared to what she can do.
    This is true beauty and passion, how can you compare it to that children's show?

The first was 10 minutes of brilliance.
    || iMac 24" 2.66C2D || Mac mini Core i5 || iPhone 6 64GB Slate || iPad 2 16GB 3G/WiFi

YNWA.
    Buyer/Seller Feedback

Wow. Amazing.
    What a unique talent.
    17" Unibody Macbook Pro 2.8GHz iPhone3G S⃣ 32GB Black 16GB iPod Nano Black Airport Extreme TV 160GB 16GB iPad 3G
    Canon 550D - 18-55 IS, 50mm f1.8

doing a quick search on her name, i found this site that has a few more clips - including three more that are from the same show, as well as a few that have been done elsewhere that aren't quite realtime but jump certain steps i guess for more impact.

Sand Animations with Kseniya Simonova | Artistic Things

i find myself always turning back to the original clip that i posted. it has the most impact and is the most moving for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Brains View Post
    My housemate Sharron has a DVD of Simonova's work (from 2008, a good year before her win on the Ukrainian talent show) which we use in our VJing setup
    i would love to see that in action in a VJ setup. where do you perform? ive noticed your extensive input in music production threads too. where can i sample your music too?

Quote Originally Posted by Phorte View Post
    where do you perform? ive noticed your extensive input in music production threads too. where can i sample your music too?
    So far, our visual performances are limited to Sydney, with the occasional show in Melbourne - they're usually at psytrance related events.

As for music, I don't have anything of my own out there, but I've provided input for a few tracks -- I do dabble in the music-making side of things myself (have done for years), but most of the time I'm doing (or fixing) setups for other artists around Sydney.

Wow indeed.
    That was quite amazing.
    Gee, some people are talented.

Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

Amazing!

Very very moving. An amazing talent and very clever use of such emotive music. Wow.
    The bridge is crossed, so stand and watch it burn.

Wow, just..... wow.

I would totally buy a DVD of her work with amazing music like that in the background.

Any such performance-DVDs like that around?

Brains, where could I buy a copy of that DVD your housemate has?