Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,289

    Default Accounting & Billing app - recommend me

    Hi,

    I will be utilising my existing sole trading company as my main income stream, so will need to track expenses, billing, receipts, gst, etc.

    Apart from MYOB which seems horribly overpriced plus you new to fork out each year for their tax table updates, what other apps can ppl recommend.

    My plumbing mate uses a real basic app on windows (can't remember it's name) and generates his invoices from excel.

    Thanks,
    GeoffP.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    856

    Default

    im not sure if this would look after everything youre after, but have a look at Billings, Billings 3 | Professional Time Billing for Anyone.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    Thanks MattyDee,

    Has anyone used Billings 3?

    Also found i-Biz 4.0.1 - same question, anyone used this app?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    the 'gong
    Posts
    1,977

    Default

    I use Billings 3 to monitor/record time on projects, auto-create invoices and track payments.

    I likely does much more than I use it for. Would like to know if anyone is using it to trakc purchase receipts, etc

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    4,225

    Default

    First off, on the MYOB side, you don't need to fork out for tax table updates. You can calculate the tax manually using the ATO website (TAX Calculator). I personally think their tax table updates are the biggest ripoff known to man and I would recommend against using them at any costs. Unfortunately they are one of the few apps for Mac in the accounting space.

    I'm busy evaluating Billings at the moment for Mactalk so I should have a review on the product ready in the next week or so. They do have a 30 day trial for anyone looking to test it so its worth taking advantage of. If you're prepared to wait a week or so, I'll have something up. In short for now, yes, its a great product and definitely worth looking at for small businesses. It'll be even better when their iphone app gets released.

    To answer your question, avolve, yes, the expense tracking functionality does work very well.
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    First off, on the MYOB side, you don't need to fork out for tax table updates. You can calculate the tax manually using the ATO website (TAX Calculator). I personally think their tax table updates are the biggest ripoff known to man and I would recommend against using them at any costs. Unfortunately they are one of the few apps for Mac in the accounting space.

    I'm busy evaluating Billings at the moment for Mactalk so I should have a review on the product ready in the next week or so. They do have a 30 day trial for anyone looking to test it so its worth taking advantage of. If you're prepared to wait a week or so, I'll have something up. In short for now, yes, its a great product and definitely worth looking at for small businesses. It'll be even better when their iphone app gets released.

    To answer your question, avolve, yes, the expense tracking functionality does work very well.
    Thanks MissionMan,

    I will be looking forward to your review of Billings 3.

    I might download the free trial in the meantime and see if it meets my purposes.

    I am tracking this thread, so if you post your review in a different thread, please post a link to the new thread here.

    Many thanks,
    GeofP.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    Quick update - I will be downloading the trial versions of the Billings and Daylite apps which are from the same company.

    Used ACT! on a windoze box at my previous company, and Daylite seems to be the Mac version.

    Link to the developers website.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    4,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffP View Post
    Quick update - I will be downloading the trial versions of the Billings and Daylite apps which are from the same company.

    Used ACT! on a windoze box at my previous company, and Daylite seems to be the Mac version.

    Link to the developers website.
    You'd be right. Daylite is one of the few CRM for OSX products on the market. Just be weary if you are running Snow Leopard. Billings is Snow Leopard compatible but Daylite requires a beta. Let me know if you need to the link to test the beta for Snow Leopard.
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    the 'gong
    Posts
    1,977

    Default

    thx @MissionMan look forward to the review (will nudge me to use the expense tracking... and show me how!)
    Last edited by avolve; 3rd September 2009 at 10:42 AM.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    You'd be right. Daylite is one of the few CRM for OSX products on the market. Just be weary if you are running Snow Leopard. Billings is Snow Leopard compatible but Daylite requires a beta. Let me know if you need to the link to test the beta for Snow Leopard.
    Thanks MM,

    Noticed the requirement for Beta version on SL when I perused their site.

    GeoffP.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    I've been using Billings since i turned freelance a few months ago and I can't fault it.
    MBP 2.4GHz | 4GB | 160GB + 500GB Little Big Disk Quadra | 17" + 20" ACD | BT600
    Mac Mini 2GHz | 4GB | 120GB + 1000GB d2 Quadra + 500GB d2 Quadra + 4000GB Biggest Quadra (TM)
    Linksys AM300 | Airport Extreme Dual Band | AppleTV 40GB

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Billings is great... i use it for, well, billing! few little annoyances but on the whole a good solid product.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    4,225

    Default

    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •