Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Huawei MobileConnect / 3G Dongle / Mobile Broadband

My only way ATM to connect to the Internet, anyone in the same spot and got it working after the upgrade ?
    Last edited by Exocet; 2nd September 2009 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Updated thread title
    Mac Mini 2.0ghz Intel 4GB ram (apple wireless keyboard/magic mouse) DroBo V2 Macbook PRO 2.33ghz Intel 3GB ram + 60GB SSD Imac G4 13inch 1.0ghz 1.25GB ram iPad 2 16GB Wifi AppleTV Gen2 iPhone 4 16GB iPhone 4S 16GB

I was having issues with mds and mdworker under leopard with my Three Mobile 3G dongle so was just using the network connection shown in iStat Pro to hit connect (rather than the Three Software).

Now that's not working... and the Three software is crashing...

Will investigate more since I sort of need that...
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    I was having issues with mds and mdworker under leopard with my Three Mobile 3G dongle so was just using the network connection shown in iStat Pro to hit connect (rather than the Three Software).

Now that's not working... and the Three software is crashing...

Will investigate more since I sort of need that...
    We use several of these at work and Snow Leopard hasn't arrived for us yet. Was it working OK for you on Leopard?

Worked fine under Leopard, but like I said the Three software made mds and/or mdworker run harder (which killed the battery quicker). Connecting through the netwok preferences (or adding the icon to the taskbar or using iStat) connected and solved the mds issues...

Now, the modem still shows up, you can press connect, but then it just disconnects straight away (never actually connected). If you try and run the 3 MobileBroadband application it "quits unexpectedly".

Throwing the 3 SIM into my iPhone and it's tethered nicely and working, but since I sort of need my phone too, this is only a stop gap solution and I need to get the USB modem working.

The modem in question is a Huawei E160G USB model which I bought from 3. Firmware has been updated to what I believe is the latest version, not that I can look that up since I can't run their software...

Will be hunting around for more info.

edit: from the 3 Mobile website:
    Three - Mobile Broadband - Technical Support - Software Updates

Firmware: 11.604.21.00.156
    Connection Manager Windows: 11.002.03.14.100
    Connection Manager MAC: 11.110.02.10.100
    Drive a VW?

Default A WARNING

if your dongle is mission critical to your daily ops.. THEN DONT UPGRADE.... there are a fair few things that dont work under snow leopard, see the below link Snow Leopard Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Compatibility List

if you are unsure, then dont upgrade! Of course you should backup everything to a bootable backup drive (NOT TIME MACHINE) with super duper or something else first, then upgrade, see if all you stuff works.. if you find something doesn't that you cant live without.. then clone your drive back from your backup.. and wait till there are updates to will make it work with snow leopard.

I know my install wont be simple, as I must have all the export features of flip for mac working, so I will have to install Quicktime 7 pro after the install... as quicktime x makes all the export features crap.... and I will also have to remove menu meters.. as they dont work.. and neither does growl... and I have to make sure I install Rosetta as well, as a few apps I use are ONLY PPC.... and Rosetta is not part of the install.. and connect 360 may or may not work after asking the developers, who do not know either... that I cant live without... so if it doesnt work.. back to Leopard till they fix it..... HOW DO I know this when I have not even got Snow Leopard yet? Researching... I suggested EVERYONE else do the same.

So make sure you know what will or wont work, do your research before you install... and if you are still unsure.. wait.. and ask on forums... before committing to an install that could waste you hours of time.. and possibly lead to Frustrating posts on the internet, as you were too eager to install and do no research before hand....be informed not alarmed
    visit my blog.......
    Follow my twitter at http://twitter.com/normandy_sr2
    Follow my PING @ Normandy SR2

For 3, i'm not relying on the connection manager.

plug in your usb modem, first (essential step).

just hit system preference>network

hit +

from the dropdown, select HUAWEI mobile.

enter *99# in the telephone number field.

leave others blank.

hit advanced...

Vendor: Generic
    Model: GPRS (GSM/3G)
    APN: 3 services (for prepaid) or 3netaccess (for postpaid)

Hit OK

Check Show Modem on Menu Bar (optional) if you wish to have a mini icon on the menu bar to connect and disconnect.

Setting up the dial up connection manually is required since the 3 software just crashes instantly... BUT, setting up manually still didn't work, you need to remove the 'three software' along with a couple of files then you need to manually get into the package contents of the included Three software to dig out the driver.

After doing this you can manually enter all the settings to get the modem back up and running. YAY!

Full instructions on how to go through the process will be put up shortly
    Drive a VW?

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Snow Leopard arrived has arrived! We managed to get it working in our office using similar steps to what The_Hawk just described. The 3 mobile modem acts as a kind of virtual CD, when you plug it in it mounts a volume on the desktop with a 3 logo. When you double click the icon it seems to either run the program or install it if you haven't already done that.

Now in SL whenever I double-click on that (installed or not) the damn thing crashes. The dialup connection I was using before was also broken. I've fixed it by doing the following steps.

Delete these files:
    /Applications/3 Mobile Broadband (entire folder)
    /System/Library/Extensions/HuaweiDataCardDriver.kext
    /Library/Modem Scripts/HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem
    Reboot your Mac.

Depending on your modem, the location of the driver package may be slightly different. On our modems it was here:
    Plug your modem in, open the virtual CD. Right-click on the 3 logo and click "Show Package Contents". Navigate to:
    /Contents/Resources/MobilePartner.mpkg
    Right-click and click "show package contents" on this .mpkg. Then, navigate to:
    /Contents/Packages/MobileConnectDriver.pkg
    Run this package.

On others,
    Quote Originally Posted by Perana View Post
    Plug your modem in, open the virtual CD. Right-click on the 3 logo and click "Show Package Contents". Navigate to:
    /Contents/Resources/Mobile_Connect_Drv_App.pkg
    Run this package.
    Your mileage may vary.

This will install the drivers only, not the connection manager. You'll have to configure the modem properties yourself. Reboot your Mac, and plug the modem in. Snow Leopard SHOULD detect a new network port (usually "Huawei Mobile X"). Click the configure button if this appears.

If not go into System Preferences -> Network. Remove any existing huawei network ports by clicking minus down the bottom. Then, click plus to add a new one. Select the second huawei mobile item from the "interface" drop-down list. You can name the port whatever you want.

Configure the device as follows, the password I've used is "null":

Then, click advanced and configure the advanced part here:

If you're postpaid, use 3netaccess, if you're prepaid use 3services.

Click ok, click apply. Click connect - you should be good to go!
    Last edited by Exocet; 29th August 2009 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks for the write up! Nice and detailed so I can send it so all 3 Mobile people I know
    Drive a VW?

Ya, but I've got an Optus one. Holds breath, see how we go..
    Mac Mini 2.0ghz Intel 4GB ram (apple wireless keyboard/magic mouse) DroBo V2 Macbook PRO 2.33ghz Intel 3GB ram + 60GB SSD Imac G4 13inch 1.0ghz 1.25GB ram iPad 2 16GB Wifi AppleTV Gen2 iPhone 4 16GB iPhone 4S 16GB

Quote Originally Posted by Devil rolla View Post
    I'm leaving updating my unibody until I can verify that the Optus 3G modem works (and updating the desktops in the meantime).

*waits for report with interest*
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

I'd suggest that Optus users head into the network preference and write down those settings for reference, then after the install of Snow Leopard they can follow the same steps as us Three users.
    Drive a VW?

Quote Originally Posted by babypoppop View Post
    For 3, i'm not relying on the connection manager.

plug in your usb modem, first (essential step).

just hit system preference>network

hit +

from the dropdown, select HUAWEI mobile.

enter *99# in the telephone number field.

leave others blank.

hit advanced...

Vendor: Generic
    Model: GPRS (GSM/3G)
    APN: 3 services (for prepaid) or 3netaccess (for postpaid)

Hit OK

Check Show Modem on Menu Bar (optional) if you wish to have a mini icon on the menu bar to connect and disconnect.
    yeap,....mine didnt work...
    and yeap did the above mention method and it works!
    hopefully 3 sends something or apple fixes this issue...!

Quote Originally Posted by nando View Post
    yeap,....mine didnt work...
    and yeap did the above mention method and it works!
    hopefully 3 sends something or apple fixes this issue...!
    I prefer to not use the Three software anyway, why clutter up the system with extra software when it really doens't add any value.
    Drive a VW?

Cool cool. Should be online and trying this for Optus around 7pm, all my other apps have been confirmed to run. It's go-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil rolla View Post
    I'd say Optus would be pretty similar - its still a Huawei modem. The only difference would be that your APN would be an Optus one rather than a 3 one.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    I prefer to not use the Three software anyway, why clutter up the system with extra software when it really doens't add any value.
    pretty sure lots of folks who dont know bout this forum and purchased Snow Leopard will be pretty upset with their dongles or Apple..?!?!
    am guessing the dongles are using some sort of legacy non coco code. maybe PPC libraries?!
    hopefully an upgrade by the dongles will work..or a replacement.

+1 for not using any connection manager/watcher software, I use my 3G dongle raw-style right out of network prefs / menu bar.

This has happened with previous updates too, SL isn't the first one to wipe/screw with USB 3g style dongles I've had.

Fingers crossed I can get the bugger to click over.

AHHH someone people help i'm on Virgin Mobile Broadband everytime i go to connect the program just stops responding it was working before snow leopard!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast