Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 123 of 123 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123
Results 2,441 to 2,458 of 2458

No, but my habits are my own and I live with them. I shoot with Micro Four Thirds also and I shoot just with primes for the sake of keeping the smallest possible package with the best image quality I can get. The Sony A7 arguably challenges this or maybe a Fuji XT2 or A6000 BUT the kicker in all of it is that they can NEVER be as small as my OM-D E-M5 can be with a prime on it, due to the size of the camera flange and the flange distance.

People will jump up and down about the Nikon full frame cameras and do a ME TOO, ME TOO, but again check out the depth of that sucker and the weight of it, even if the height and width are SORTA the same, it's a whole other ball park.

I've successfully and deliberately avoided the 12-40 pro lens, not because of any inherent image quality issues, but because it simply defies my intentions with Micro Four Thirds in building the smallest possible in the hand camera kit including the lens. Yeah well you say the 12-40 might weigh less than a bunch of primes, but it doesn't in the most meaningful of comparisons which is the in the hand comparison. As they say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

A prime in the hand with an OM-D is a seriously small camera that packs a lot of image quality, with the 12-40 attached I feel based on my own likes and needs that it weighs as much as my Canon 650D body, and for me it defies the point of what I want to achieve no matter the image quality of the lens. That's my feelings, not an open debate, or to say it's a poor choice, it isn't it just doesn't suit me.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff3DMN View Post
    I can't fit a Micro 4/3rds camera with lens in my jeans pocket, I can put a Canon S series or a Panasonic LF1 in there.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like a bigger sensor (like the RX100 or better still micro 4/3rds) but even the RX100 is uncomfortably thick in firm(ish) fitting jeans pockets let alone a micro 4/3rds camera which is why I've got an EM-1 and a compact.

Obligatory I bought something bit of the post...

I just picked up an Olympus 12-40 F2.8 lens for my EM-1

On the whole thing of buying things, my Lowepro Urban Photo Sling arrived today, I thought I'd do a quick write up from the perspective of a mirrorless camera user to help a few people out who might be going down a similar decision making path to finding a small bag that can carry a lot of gear.

First up I have to say, I'm glad I got the 250 and not the 150. This is a seriously small bag for something you want to hold a lot of content, the 150 simply would have been too small for holding 3 or 4 mirrorless lenses as well as a camera body. The 250 is generous enough it'll fit 3 or 4 lenses as well as a flash and then a body such as an OM-D with a medium length lens attached e.g. something like a 12-50, 40-150, or a smaller pro zoom like a 12-40 or 7-14 F/2.8 attached to a body.

It's a good sized bag for the prime shooter with another divider inserted it r you could also carry another prime lens such as the 45, 60, or 75mm lenses from Olympus. I have the Olympus 12mm F/2 and Panasonic 20mm F/1.7. I'm probably going to pick up the Olympus 40mm F/1.8 eventually also. My gripe with it is that it doesn't come with enough dividers, I've grabbed a divider out of one of my top loaders which has been relegated to the scrap heap and with my use I'll probably use another divider for another prime lens.

For a Lowepro bag you do tend to expect more. This isn't one of those deliciously well padded well padded Lowepro bags you'd come to expect from Lowepro and the material its made out of feels kinda cheap, however its both inoffensive and inconspicuous and with means to hide away its zips and with lock down clasp buckles it's a good contender for shooting in less than desirable locations where you want a bag that can't be easily broken into.

For a sling bag it's actually rather large on your back, I'm not short, nor am I tall I'm 178cm tall on a good day, but it takes up a large percentage of my back and is more of a backpack than a sling, or top loader, although it acts as both, I'd consider it a backpack more than anything, despite it loading from the top and going over one shoulder. The zip compartment at times can be challenging to get into due to the shape of the zip tracks, where the whole front of the bag zips off. Sometimes the zips get stuck. I got it through Amazon Prime on run out for $29 US I probably wouldn't have bought it, with shipping it worked out to be about $60 which is half the cost you can get it in Australia. For what it is its cheap and cheerful and can be configured to hold quite a lot of content.

I've attached a photo of how I have it configured, realistically in this configuration it suits a longer zoom lens such as the 12-40 Pro lens or the 40-150 F/4-F/5.6 or even 12-50, but I have my camera loaded with the 12/2. It also has one quick release compartment for a second lens on the go, and for demo purples I have it loaded with the Panasonic 20mm F/1.7, this has a strap over the top of it to stop it falling out. In the rest of the bag I have an Olympus 40-150 F/4-F/5.6 and Olympus 14-42 F/3.5-F/5.6 as well as an FL36 flash.

It does comes with a compartment for an 11inch tablet such as an iPad Air, or Galaxy Tab, a Netbook type device, or even a hybrid table such as a Surface Pro. You would also fit an ultrabook such as the 11" MacBook Air. It definitely doesn't fit a 13" device period. I sized it up with my MacBook Pro and its not even close enough to squeeze it in, I laid my 13" MacBook Pro on top of it, and the whole bag is about the same width as it but the 13" MacBook Pro is actually longer. There is no physical way you could fit a 13" device into this bag even if you wanted to.

For a bag that you can carry on an airplane with the majority of your gear though, it does well and it's the reason why I bought this bag. Load it up with all my Micro Four Gear and stow it away on a plane either under the seat or in the overhead bin, you won't have your gear damaged by baggage handlers.

As it it is it would also fit a Canon full frame body such as a 5D with a 35mm or 50mm lens loaded up the top given how much space there is in the top loading compartment, you could even strip it down, remove most of the dividers and fit a 5D with a 70-200L in there and have room for another small lens like a 35 or 50mm prime.

For a small bag its deceivingly big, and safe enough when its locked up with its safety clasps, and zips stowed away underneath that I'd have no real issue with walking the streets of Sydney or Melbourne, or even Rome, Paris or New York with it, without it drawing too much attention to me.

It's not a look at me I'm a camera bag sort of bag, it barely looks as big as a prep school kids bag. The fact it works in three different configurations, it's easy to load, and easy to access a camera body as well as a spare lens makes it workable for me despite its short comings. There is also no such thing as the perfect bag, but this comes pretty close for what I like in terms of bags. That is top load, easy access and sling.
    Last edited by Orestes; 4th March 2015 at 02:17 AM.
    "It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" -Steve Jobs.
    PPC:Early 2005 Xserve G5 2.3ghz Intel:Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" 2.3ghz iOS: ATV3, iPhone 4.

I recently picked up a SPOT Gen 3 satellite tracker/messenger for when I'm travelling around on the motor bike.

iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

I bought a teapot. I kid you not. I've been looking for a teapot of particular design and size for about 10 years, and I finally found one when I wasn't actually looking, just wandering through a local cheapie shop. Made in china, white ceramic, and exactly what I had been seeking. $10 and very happy with it.

Cheap desk from office works and an Apple TV.

The ATV was only $98
    People reckon I'm too patronising (That means I treat them as if they're stupid)

Macbook Air 11", Mac Mini, iPhone 5, Apple TV 3rd Generation.

Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    I bought a teapot. I kid you not. I've been looking for a teapot of particular design and size for about 10 years, and I finally found one when I wasn't actually looking, just wandering through a local cheapie shop. Made in china, white ceramic, and exactly what I had been seeking. $10 and very happy with it.
    Pic or it didn't happen!

I found an awesome deal in T2 once. Old stock and with a member card I got a $50 or $60 teapot for about $15 I think. Anyway I really liked it. It was made in Japan too!

Cheap Macbook from dealsdirect. It was the last Macbook model, may be not as fancy or fast as the later models but once I upgrade the RAM and put an SSD in, it will be fine. Beachballs galore but oh well, thats how it is. Cant afford a new one so my choices were limited. I'm actually very pleased with it. Though not the condition it arrived in (filthy!)

I've got a late 2009 Mac Mini incoming to replace my i7 PC rig at home. Will be looking at a RAM and SSD upgrade for stand turning my PC into a FreeNAS box more than likely for storage and time machine backups.

I just can't come home to windows after working on OS X on my Air all day at work lol.
    People reckon I'm too patronising (That means I treat them as if they're stupid)

Macbook Air 11", Mac Mini, iPhone 5, Apple TV 3rd Generation.

A piglet tsum tsum from Disney Japan. 6 weeks delivery time
    Successful trades : iphonedev, palais, JNRidgway15, macmine, NeoRicen, Erwin, MissionMan, goodbye, decryption, joh, asgr8, davemc, alicia1, tezz27000

I bought an extra 16GB of RAM for our 27" iMac and also paid up for my Pebble time steel, which I won't see until Aug most likely.....
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

Quote Originally Posted by simonm View Post
    Pic or it didn't happen!
    LOL! OK!

That is a nice teapot
    Successful Trades: Lots

Bought some wireless Plantronics headphones. RRP $179, I got them for $113 from OW after price-matching with CPL.

Last edited by kerr; 30th November 2015 at 12:18 AM.
    Late 2015 - 4.7" iPhone 6s (Silver), 1.8 GHz 16nm TSMC A9, 128GB, iOS 9.2
    Late 2013 - 13" rMBP 2.6GHz Intel 4th-gen i5, 22nm Haswell, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, OS X 10.11.2

Bought an orange Fitbit chargeHR from Harvey Norman today ($166):

Late 2013 - 13" rMBP 2.6GHz Intel 4th-gen i5, 22nm Haswell, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, OS X 10.11.2

Not exactly big news but a few weeks ago I got myself a Microsoft Band 2. To be as succinct as I can be its a great bit of kit and with respect to its predecessor it's a big and certainly necessary step in moving the game on.
    PC l 980X l 24GB l 8TB l GTX590 l 7 Ult x64 l Corsair CC750D
    Server l E3-1245v3 l 32GB l 20TB l Fedora 21 LVM ZFS RaidZ2
    Burning 'Book l 17" A1297 l 2860QM l 6770M 1GB l 2.25TB l Antiglare

For no real reason I picked up a Pendo 7 Android tablet for $69 at office works. Running 5.1 and whilst there is plenty to pick on, for the price it more than does its job.

If you had kids this could be a good start off tablet that it won't hurt to much if they
    break it.
    Last edited by SRG; 19th December 2015 at 01:15 PM.
    An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

I'm going to sell my Fitbit chargeHR as I have now purchased a Fitbit charge.

Reason 1: 9-10 days battery compared to 4-5 days
    Reason 2: I found the chargeHR to often lose HR connection when exercising, there are some suggestions such as wear higher on your wrist, wear it tighter, etc, but I went and bought a cheap Polar HRM instead for when I'm exercising.
    Last edited by kerr; 21st December 2015 at 02:39 PM.

Had to buy a RFID blocker for a pending passport, interesting how non-Western countries don't RFID protect them. Only gone through the hell as traveling with a "English" speaking country passport isn't the safest thing to be doing *shakes fist at GWB, Blair, Howard, Harper, etc*
    at&t 3G speeds(Motorola Atrix): 2148 kbps down / 1483 kbps up
    Sprint WiMax Speeds(Motorola Photon): 9.1 mbps down / 1.8 mbps up
    "Every country has the government it deserves" -Joseph De Maistre

Needed a new umbrella to keep at my work desk. Went for a Blunt XS Metro:

https://www.bluntumbrellas.com/au/xsmetro

Page 123 of 123 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123