Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Question Snow Leopard Multitouch

Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Enhancements and Refinements:

Which notebooks have multi-touch trackpads? If that is too broad, does the MacBook 5,2 have one?
    2GHz White MacBook (2009) | 32GB White iPhone 3G S | 8GB iPod Nano 3Gen | Airport Express (solely for AirTunes) | Airport Extreme Base Station

MacBook5,2? Yes since it is 2009.

Multi-Touch has been available since 2008.

If you can pinch to zoom or rotate, you've got a multitouch trackpad. If yours is one of the first multitouch notebooks, you're missing out on the three and four finger gestures. Snow Leopard fixes that for you folks.
    MacBook Unibody 2.4GHz // iPhone 4 32GB (Telstra) // iPad 2 64GB Wifi+3G
    twitter | lifestream | last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    If you can pinch to zoom or rotate, you've got a multitouch trackpad. If yours is one of the first multitouch notebooks, you're missing out on the three and four finger gestures. Snow Leopard fixes that for you folks.
    I can not perform those actions, but going off what Huy said then I should have a multi-touch trackpad.
    2GHz White MacBook (2009) | 32GB White iPhone 3G S | 8GB iPod Nano 3Gen | Airport Express (solely for AirTunes) | Airport Extreme Base Station

but editing on file in the system folder fixes that up in Leopard. I'm surprised this wasn't updated earlier.

you're missing out on the three and four finger gestures. Snow Leopard fixes that for you folks.
    Can't wait until August 28th...

so does some kernel patch i used aaaaaages ago
    17" MacBook Pro core i7, 32Gig iPhone 3Gs, 32Gig iPad

Exactly. Ever since el Jobso demonstrated the new gestures, there's been people trying to hack them onto their older machine - Snow Leopard brings the feature to you all anyway, so no more hacking needed.

After installing Snow Leopard I still have no multi-touch

Quote Originally Posted by woody993 View Post
    After installing Snow Leopard I still have no multi-touch
    The white MacBooks never had multitouch trackpads. Snow Leopard only enabled the four finger gestures for users that didn't have them before.

Is there a System Preference to turn OFF the trackpad eg: when doing lots of typing via the keyboard?

I ended up having to hack this preference and remove my (Leopard) Multitouch functionality and revert to the "old school" trackpad -> I can now type via the keyboard again after 4 months of hell!

Ang

Mac models with Multi-Touch.

Last non-Unibody MacBook Pro
    MacBook Air
    Unibody MacBook
    Unibody MacBook Pro

The first generation MacBook Air and the last non-Unibody MacBook Pro had multitouch, but did not have four finger gestures. Snow Leopard cannot turn your trackpad into a Multi-Touch trackpad, it merely adds new gestures for the 2 models that were already Multi-Touch but lacked the Expose and App switching gestures.

Quote Originally Posted by Angsty View Post
    Is there a System Preference to turn OFF the trackpad eg: when doing lots of typing via the keyboard?

I ended up having to hack this preference and remove my (Leopard) Multitouch functionality and revert to the "old school" trackpad -> I can now type via the keyboard again after 4 months of hell!

Ang
    Not since the multitouch trackpads were introduced.

EDIT: Whoops, misread your post. ;P. Not as far as I am aware - there is no way to 'lock' your trackpad. For older models you could plug in a moues and tick 'ignore trackpad'.

To allow full use of gestures on the Multi-Touch trackpad even when a mouse is connected, the "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present" trackpad option no longer appears in System Preferences.
    About the "Ignoring trackpad when mouse is present" option on computers with a Multi-Touch trackpad

Default Snow Leopard not updating Four finger scrolling.

I just installed Snow Leopard on a old White Macbook that can scroll using two fingers but not with four and the new four finger scrolling still does not work. I've searched all over the net and this is the closest place i've come to someone else saying they had a problem.

Has anyone with an old mac like mine actually installed Snow Leopard and had it change the number of fingers you can use to do things with? (I don't care if you used a different program)

The multi touch scrolling is only supported on unibody multitouch trackpads.

Quote Originally Posted by gehenna View Post
    The multi touch scrolling is only supported on unibody multitouch trackpads.
    Thank you.
    Wish the press releases would have said that...

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerjstratton View Post
    Thank you.
    Wish the press releases would have said that...
    They do, you don't have a multitouch trackpad, that's all the Press Releases mentioned.

The MacBook you bought was never advertised as having a multi-touch trackpad.