Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Vodafone Network Advice (was phodavone)

Scanning these posts, I get the distinct impression that Optus is hated and Telstra is expensive but reliable. I have my own reasons to want to get rid of my Telstra landline (hint ... it involved the TIO).

Vodaphone is set to go 3G by August 31 (I am in Maryborough Q) and wonder what comments you have? The little I have seen is positive in terms of price - including data/tethering - but what of the signal?

dickg
    24" iMac - EyeTV digital dongle - satellite broadband - iPhone clone - 16G Wifi+ 3G iPad.

i am with vodafone and IMO the signal quality is better than optus but worse than telstra. All in ok for me in perth and victoria.

Quote Originally Posted by dickg View Post
    Vodaphone is set to go 3G by August 31 (I am in Maryborough Q) and wonder what comments you have? The little I have seen is positive in terms of price - including data/tethering - but what of the signal?
    Dick, you may already know this, but be aware that Vodafone 3G outside the cities will be UMTS900, not UMTS850 (ala Telstra NextG). You didn't specify what device you will use, but you won't be able to use an iPhone on the Vodafone 3G network in the country.

If you just want 3G broadband via a USB stick, that'll be fine as long as you have a UMTS900 capable device.
    2012 Mac Mini 2.6 w/ 1TB Fusion Drive & 16GB RAM, Dell U2713HM Monitor | 15" MBP Unibody 2.66 | iPhone 5s Space Gray 32GB on Vodafone & iPhone 5 Black | iPad Retina (3rd Gen) on Vodafone | AppleTV 3 | Original Airport Express

Even if you're in the country, Vodafone GSM has recently been upgraded to EDGE. So although it's not as fast as NextG, it's still completely serviceable.

Vodafone is now definitely the network of Choice after Telstra.

DeKa - I wasn't aware of this issue. I was, maybe still am, looking at an iPhone to replace my landline as I have free satellite broadband thanks to the Australian Broadband Guarantee. Optus gets very bad press here and I had to go to the TIO for my Telstra landline. Vodaphone seems to offer good value, but it I can't get an iPhone service being in Maryborough Q, maybe I'll have to stick with the landline.
    24" iMac - EyeTV digital dongle - satellite broadband - iPhone clone - 16G Wifi+ 3G iPad.

I find Vodafone reception interesting. I had problems getting reception here with my iPhones, but no problems with my N95/N96's. On Optus, all handsets had similar reception. Weird.

As mitty pointed out, Vodafone in the country is also being upgraded to EDGE (2.5x the speed of GPRS), so the iPhone will still work well if you have Vodafone GSM coverage now.
    2012 Mac Mini 2.6 w/ 1TB Fusion Drive & 16GB RAM, Dell U2713HM Monitor | 15" MBP Unibody 2.66 | iPhone 5s Space Gray 32GB on Vodafone & iPhone 5 Black | iPad Retina (3rd Gen) on Vodafone | AppleTV 3 | Original Airport Express

Lumus's Avatar Lumus is offline I think whatever comes into my brain...

For one, it's an F in the name, not a PH. Just being nitpicky

And just to clarify a few points.

- 900MHz 3G (and EDGE) is already active for testing in many areas, and there are a smattering of phones that will take advantage of it. Check in with a Vodafone store (Torquay, Bundaberg and Noosa are the 3 closest to the OP) to see what phones can use it (i.e. HTC Magic does, but iPhone doesn't. Blame Apple!)

- All our mobile broadband devices are 3G 900 capable (both the USB sticks and the new Express Cards that are being released soon). That's the main reason for the upgrade.

- Optarse are in the same boat iPhone wise in that they have also extended their 3G network using 900MHz but it's still incomplete.
    Function can't coffee without in the morning.

thank you Lumus with a F. How dare you correct my incorrect spelling of an incorrect spelling (last time I checked fone was spelled with a ph).

It's a brand name, not a word, so it's not incorrect spelling. By that logic, Optus is incorrectly spelled too. It should be Opt us.

And Telstra should be spelt [deleted due to legal advice]

I bow to your impeccable logic DeKa.