Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Need a Firewire 800 Hub

I have a customer who just bought a new 15" MacBook Pro. These only have 1 Firewire 800 port, but he has a combination of firewire peripherals including external 800 hard disk, external 400 hard disk and firewire 400 scanner.

He wants to connect a firewire 800 hub/repeater to his laptop, buy 2 firewire 400 to 800 cables for his old firewire 400 equipment and plug in his firewire 800 drive as well. This means he needs a firewire 800 hub with at least 3-4 ports. Has anyone got any recommendations and pointers to where I can buy a suitable firewire 800 hub?

Additionally, I don't know if such a beast exists but has anyone heard of a hub with both 400 and 800 ports because then he wouldn't need to even buy any 400 to 800 cables at all, and they are pricy.

Anyway thanks in advance for any replies.
    Greg Sharp
    President/Webmaster
    Australian Mac Users Group (AUSMUG)

Can't you daisy chain Firewire? If the 800 HDD has two ports like the WD Studio HDD you could plug a firewire 400 hub into the back of it. I don't think I have ever seen an 800 hub but I know I have a 400 hub somewhere here.
    Note: Any advertising image that may appear in my post is placed there automatically by this site and is not endorsed by me personally.

Daisy chaining may solve the problem in the short term but for this customer it may not be the best option.

• Firstly he has a very low skill level and needs things as simple as possible. He would be bound to get confused and plug things in wrong if left to his own devices
    • Secondly he works in a really cluttered environment, his work area is a mess and he would almost certainly end up accidentally knocking cables out
    • Thirdly he intends to buy another 800 firewire drive in the not too distant future so using a firewire hub would end up a lot neater than 4 devices being daisy chained

I appreciate your suggestion Jaste for daisy chaining but if there are 800 firewire hubs available it would be better. To be honest after how long firewire 800 has been around and since Apple only provide 1 firewire port on their laptops I cannot believe that firewire 800 hubs aren't commonly available.
    Greg Sharp
    President/Webmaster
    Australian Mac Users Group (AUSMUG)

So, if you buy that hub you can just buy either a dongle for the FW800 to FW400 or buy a FW400 to FW800 cable. Non apple stores/resellers would likely call these adaptors '9 pin to 6 pin'..
    Last edited by iCarllovesapple; 12th August 2009 at 09:56 PM.
    "When you kill a cow you gotta make a Burger"

Possible in combination withe one of these

Aten 6-Port FireWire HUB - Epowermac

I had the same issue. I have a load of firewire 400 drives, a 4 port firewire hub, and an iMac with 1 firewire 800 port.

I bought a firewire 800-400 cable.

I would like this, but I can't find it anywhere. The DT2-WBC model.

I recently bought one of those NitroAV FW 800 hubs on eBay that Mc Cool links to and it is great.
    I couldn't buy one locally and most of the companies in the US that had them wouldn't ship to Australia so I had to go the ebay route which was better as it only cost me $50 ( brand newie too ) as opposed to $154 plus postage.

So, if you buy that hub you can just buy either a dongle for the FW800 to FW400 or buy a FW400 to FW800 cable. Non apple stores/resellers would likely call these adaptors '8 pin to 6 pin'..
    9 pin to 6pin ICarl.

Can't you daisy chain Firewire? If the 800 HDD has two ports like the WD Studio HDD you could plug a firewire 400 hub into the back of it. I don't think I have ever seen an 800 hub but I know I have a 400 hub somewhere here.
    Be aware though that not all enclosure manufacturers adhere to the strict guidelines for Firewire.
    While most good makers will put out boxes that allow daisychaining with no problems some will cause hassles if chained in a particular order.
    A hub is definitely the best way to go.

Stewie
    Last edited by stewiesno1; 12th August 2009 at 09:22 PM.
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

Sorry for the typo!
    "When you kill a cow you gotta make a Burger"

I wasn't being pedantic or a smartarse iCarl , I didn't want to see you do a two hour Google search for a FW 8 pin to 6 pin plug .

Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

EverythingHerePlus.com has 5, 4, and 3 Port FireWire 800 hubs for use with new Macs and other FireWire 800 applications:

5 Port
    Unibrain FireRepeater-800 Pro FireWire 800 IEEE 1394b Repeater Hub 5 Port (EverythingHerePlus.com)

4 Port
    Unibrain FireRepeater-800 Pro FireWire 800 IEEE 1394b Repeater Hub 4 Port (EverythingHerePlus.com)

3 Port
    Unibrain FireRepeater 800 FireWire 800 IEEE 1394b Repeater Hub 3 Port (EverythingHerePlus.com)

They also stock the correct power supplies 9 to 9 pin cables, 9 to 6 pin cables, and converter plus that go 6 to 9 pin and from 9 to 6 pin.

FireWire 800 and FireWire 400 Cable Converter and Adapter Plugs (EverythingHerePlus.com)