Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melishunt Guest

Default New MacBook Pro's are quiet..

Hi,

I recently got a new 17" core i7. I've been copying files from an external hard drive like mad, and not heard a thing. Also haven't felt it get even remotely warm once. The only time I've heard this thing is when I was importing a lot of cd's, I could hear the disc spinning.

My last MacBook Pro, I couldn't even sit it on my lap it would get so hot.

This is the first time I've actually been wanting a new MBP after hearing this information.

Mine gets so hot it's ridiculous. Even with the laptop cooler. I guess using it on my bed doesn't help though :P
    I mac_guy1 with all of my heart - 31/10/2010

My new 15" I5 is exactly as described above! Quiet and cool! Love it

Melishunt Guest

I can't even feel any vibration coming from the hdd. (and it's not ssd).

Women would hate this model then!
     Mac Pro 2x2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB/3x1TB WD (Black) + 80GB Intel X-25M G2 |  24" LED Cinema Display |  MBP 13" 2.26GHz/4GB/120GB Intel X-25M SSD + 500GB (Optical Bay) |  Mac Mini 2.0GHz/4GB/320GB/256MB 9400M.

It can get hot, but only when you're playing games or running CPU simulations.

Web surfing you'll never feel it. Even YouTube doesn't set off fire alarms.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I can't remember the last time i heard my drive spin...wait I have an SSD, that would explain it...
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

what about the new 13'' macbook pro? does that get hot, and also are the fans coming on as often as they do on my macbook ver.1

thanks
    trade: glenmorrow, william, jobro, birdbrain, mutters, applecollector, tommelbourne, thebookfreak58, TERII82, p52, rob05,

I wouldn't call mine dead quiet, especially when compared to the previous gen, one fan models. In my 15" i5 I hear the fan softly and also clicks from the HDD every 30-60 seconds. The same noise I got from my 2007 15" MBP. Anyone else get this noise?

Quote Originally Posted by chocho View Post
    what about the new 13'' macbook pro? does that get hot, and also are the fans coming on as often as they do on my macbook ver.1

thanks
    Nothing like my old white unibody macbook! My new Macbook Pro 13" is an awesome machine!

You never hear anything coming from it, veeeeery quiet!!! So I'm not sure about the fans as I never hear them!

This little machine is the best mac purchase I have ever made and I have had LOADS of macs!
    Trades with, Huy, PatrickH, tkilik11, chris, Taezar, bennyling, Simo, stewiesno1, MissionMan, cgollner, napes, mechcon, lama323, snagage, ClockWork, Beau, Rasta, Freeze, Petecario, Simmo, Tokevmur, Beaner, thebookfreak58, Boddiz, neg2led, Foxy

Yeah my gf says the same thing. When we would iChat (we're living in separate countries at the moment) I could hear her fan over her actual voice. Since I got her a MacBook Pro 13" it's been great and I've had a lot less complaints

thanks guys, another reason to go for the 13'' macbook pro!

cheers
    trade: glenmorrow, william, jobro, birdbrain, mutters, applecollector, tommelbourne, thebookfreak58, TERII82, p52, rob05,

Well I'm referring to a 2006 MB, not the latest ones. So the new ones may well be a lot quieter.

Melishunt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mrpitiful View Post
    I wouldn't call mine dead quiet, especially when compared to the previous gen, one fan models. In my 15" i5 I hear the fan softly and also clicks from the HDD every 30-60 seconds. The same noise I got from my 2007 15" MBP. Anyone else get this noise?
    Click's coming from a HDD usually means STOP, you have a problem. If it is bad like 'clicking' usually indicates, every click you hear is another bit of your data being destroyed or damaged. I'd get it checked out if I was you.

Quote Originally Posted by Melishunt View Post
    Click's coming from a HDD usually means STOP, you have a problem. If it is bad like 'clicking' usually indicates, every click you hear is another bit of your data being destroyed or damaged. I'd get it checked out if I was you.
    Mmm can't agree with you there. Clunks and slow speed would suggest that, but just clicking or ticking is pretty standard.

I can hear the hard drive clicking in all of our computers (mostly because iMacs and MB/MBPs are so quiet.
    Last edited by mjankor; 27th May 2010 at 03:39 PM.
    Grrrr, Arrrrghhh!!!
    http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8259491826/photos
    My Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mjankor View Post
    Mmm can't agree with you there. Clunks and slow speed would suggest that, but just clicking or ticking is pretty standard.

I can heat the hard drive clicking in all of our computers (mostly because iMacs and MB/MBPs are so quiet.
    Agreed, what can be interpreted as clicking outside the chassis is usually just the speed at which the actuator arm is moving across the platters.

Melishunt Guest

Ok, but anything I've ever heard from professionals in the industry, is that if it clicks hope to hell you have a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Melishunt View Post
    Ok, but anything I've ever heard from professionals in the industry, is that if it clicks hope to hell you have a backup.
    This professional in the industry says otherwise. Of course it depends on the severity of the clicking.

Melishunt Guest

Well,
    mine doesn't click AT ALL, so if it ever does... I'm running straight for the 'Genius' bar.

There are slight clicking murmurs once in a while, but apart from that, the i7 MBP is almost silent (even with the shitty 5400rpm HDD).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast