Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Macbook won't charge! LED light wont' come on.

Hi all,

My 1.5 years old macbook stopped charging last night.
    The charging LED light doesn't come on when i plug it in.
    Has anyone experienced anything like that with your macbook?
    A friend suggested me to take out the battery pack and put it back in and try it again.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance.

It could be that the power supply has failed, or it could be that a pin on the MagSafe connector has collapsed, or it could be that the MacBook's onboard power management electronics have failed.

If you have access to another MagSafe based power supply of any kind, try it on your machine -- if the LED doesn't light, then it is the MacBook that is ill, and it will need to visit a friendly Apple service centre for proper diagnosis and repair. If the borrowed MagSafe's LED lights up, then your MagSafe power supply has failed, and you will need to purchase a new one.

Is it unibody?

Happened to me and DOA'ed it. (had issues out of the box)

Does your magsafe connector get abnormally hot and does it look as if one of the pins has melted on the inside of the port? if so, discontinue using it immediately and contact Apple, suggest its a safety issue and they'll look at it and or replace it.

Why Apple haven't recalled the first gen macbooks I have no idea, its fairly dangerous.

My first gen macbook Magsafe port melted, the plastic came off and two of the pins kept shorting out, my choice was to replace the part myself and the machine is now working like new again. (Say I haven't seen the screen flicker for a while either). There is a big difference between the new and old magsafe ports too. I'll upload pics sometime.

Does the light come on if you "push" the MagSafe tightly into the side of the computer? If so, that's a pretty well known issue and you should be able to get the PSU replaced if you have AppleCare.

If not, you will likely have to buy a new PSU but you could always ask. Might help to fray the cord up a bit and char the end of it with a cig. lighter.

no heating up when the mag cord is plugged.
    i have a feeling that the power supply is dead.
    1.5 yrs.. is that common?
    $109 for a power supply is so expensive ><

Quote Originally Posted by ~Coxy View Post
    Does the light come on if you "push" the MagSafe tightly into the side of the computer? If so, that's a pretty well known issue and you should be able to get the PSU replaced if you have AppleCare.

If not, you will likely have to buy a new PSU but you could always ask. Might help to fray the cord up a bit and char the end of it with a cig. lighter.

haven't tried pushing it in but i will try tonight

I have one you can have for $90 with postage. (Brand new)

We had this problem with my girlfriend's new unibody after about two months. A call to Apple had them express post her a new power supply and a return envelope, then she sent the old one back.

Quite good service, really.
    [B]| Flickr | blog | MacTalk Podcaster | Official PM-Bid Hater #1

Also try using a different power cable into the brick.

hi guys,
    i just got home from work and was about to take my battery pack out and put it back in.

but before i did that, i tried plugging the cord and it started charging with the LED light on.

how weird is that?

i plugged/unplugged it so many times yesterday to test out the LED and it didn't work at all last night, so why did it decide to work today?

But you need to purchase an extended warranty just to call the company dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by Waynos View Post
    i plugged/unplugged it so many times yesterday to test out the LED and it didn't work at all last night, so why did it decide to work today?
    Possibly one of the pins was not connecting properly. They're on springs, and if a tiny bit of grit gets between the pin and the shaft it slides through, it can get stuck and not actually press up against the connecting plate on the inside of the connector on the laptop.