Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Didn't get a letter and using the points in this thread I was able to get confirmation o could port my number away breaking my contract without incurring a
    termination fee.

The Optus rep put me on hold for 10 minutes while she consulted her supervisor and confirmed I could do it.

Whether or not it helped I dialled the numbers inquestion a few times this morning prior to ringing Optus.

Quote Originally Posted by sobie2000 View Post
    Didn't get a letter and using the points in this thread I was able to get confirmation o could port my number away breaking my contract without incurring a
    termination fee.

The Optus rep put me on hold for 10 minutes while she consulted her supervisor and confirmed I could do it.

Whether or not it helped I dialled the numbers inquestion a few times this morning prior to ringing Optus.
    What numbers?

I'd like to call them a few times in the next few days then call optus in a week..
    Alumimum iMac iPhone 4 Unibody Macbook

Quote Originally Posted by timmytomtam View Post
    What numbers?

I'd like to call them a few times in the next few days then call optus in a week..
    The ability to not accept the new terms ends on the 12th of august. Also it won't make a blind bit of difference as you did not use them before the changes took effect. If you are planning to get out i suggest you use the points mentioned above. I also suggest you read through the terms and understand exactly how 5.2A will have a negative effect on you.

The idea is that you can potentially be affected by the change because this new change would allow them to potentially block any number.

Quote Originally Posted by K3G View Post
    The ability to not accept the new terms ends on the 12th of august. Also it won't make a blind bit of difference as you did not use them before the changes took effect. If you are planning to get out i suggest you use the points mentioned above. I also suggest you read through the terms and understand exactly how 5.2A will have a negative effect on you.

The idea is that you can potentially be affected by the change because this new change would allow them to potentially block any number.
    To be honest, I don't really care how 5.2A will effect me, I just want to get away from Optus' fucked up 3G service

But seriously, the fact that they can block any number does scare me, a little.. :S

Quote Originally Posted by timmytomtam View Post
    To be honest, I don't really care how 5.2A will effect me, I just want to get away from Optus' fucked up 3G service

But seriously, the fact that they can block any number does scare me, a little.. :S
    Oh yeh I'm in the same boat mate. I just think you have a better chance if you are familiar with their TOS.

Talking

I am so glad that all of you have favorable outcomes with this forum as a precedent to upholding your consumer rights.

Even if this does not affect you now, you have every right to practice what you rightfully deserve to do.

Even if you don't wish to get out of Optus now, due to this change, you can insist that they have broken the agreement and hence, put you on a month-to-month plan. Then, you have the peace of mind to exit whenever you like, without incurring early termination fees.

Do keep in mind that mobile phone repayments and any additional usage charges for that month are still incurred during cancellation.

To conclude, after the battle with the Optus legal team and bringing this to the attention to the Ombudsman, I received a call from the legal team and Optus has offered me a few beneficial perks in addition to shifting me over to a month-to-month, in order to keep me with them. However, in exchange, I am obliged to not disclose the perks.

i called up optus just now to try to do it, but the lady in the cancellations said,
    that it was never in my original contract or something, i dont quite undertstand how was it not in mine but was in everyone elses???? any ideas how i can get out of this awful awful "service" that optus provide?
    Powermac G5 1.8,3gb,2TBiMac 2.16,3gb,250gb
    Macbook 2.16,3gb,500gbiPhone 3G Officially unlocked & 3.0 beta 3. Asus EEE 900 not running M$

That clause may not be in the original contract but it is in your contract now. The numbers will be blocked for everyone.
    Grrrr, Arrrrghhh!!!
    http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8259491826/photos
    My Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mcbaine View Post
    i called up optus just now to try to do it, but the lady in the cancellations said,
    that it was never in my original contract or something, i dont quite undertstand how was it not in mine but was in everyone elses???? any ideas how i can get out of this awful awful "service" that optus provide?
    You need to read and understand your original contract and the changes, as well as the points above. Calling without understanding what you're talking about won't get you very far.

Sometimes -- even when you know exactly what you want, and why, and that they've done the same for others -- you still don't get very far!

I called Friday morning (as in pre-9am), and I'm still waiting for the Team Leader to call me back... now I'm worried that the gentleman I spoke to didn't pass on the message. *Sigh* This is why I love Optus!

I just got out of my contract with 14months left to go.

I never received the letter.

I stated that although I've never dialled these numbers, I was planning to use similar cards to call overseas family members in the near future.

Instead of terminating, I requested to be put on a month to month until Telstra have more 3GS' in stock.

Thanks for all the tips in here. Its a good day. Optus can go and get FUCKED.

Just called Optus, I will be able to port out without a fee

Artin

Anyone care to provide a step-by-step on how to succeed with this?

Quote Originally Posted by gumby08 View Post
    Anyone care to provide a step-by-step on how to succeed with this?
    Yeh... My contract is in my mum's name and I'm having a bit of trouble explaining what she needs to say to them.

Well, both of our accounts are being switched to month by month, confirmed with an email.

We'll cop the cancellation fee, but optus are crediting it back to us.

I was stonewalled for 50 mins as they tried very hard to tell me that this change wouldn't affect me as I don't use those numbers.

They didn't seem to be too keen to debate the fact that this is a sneaky change to my contract that I had not agreed to, nor the fact that they are required, by their own contract, to inform me of this change.

A lot of my conversation was talking at cross purposes. My argument was that they were in breach and I did not accept the new contract, especially as the new clause is too vague. They were arguing that this change wouldn't affect me. (Which is hardly something they get to determine, imo)
    Grrrr, Arrrrghhh!!!
    http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8259491826/photos
    My Photo Gallery

Dammit, i wish Telstra would make mistakes like this in their contracts..

Then i could cancel and hop onto their new 3GS cap plans.

The manager I spoke to kept telling me that it was in my original contract anyway, and wouldn't move on past that! I don't have a copy on me, so now I have to contact AllPhones and try and dredge up my original contract. I think it's just a way for them to buy more time, and hope I give up.

on the phone with them now - the lady in the department says that i'm not in a targeted customer so it doesn't apply. trying to speak to a manager or someone.. hopefully it happens.

*edit* they rambled on about how it doesn't affect me and pretty much left it at that while going around in circles - i gave up but hopefully someone else has better luck with it.
    Last edited by kungfucamel; 4th August 2009 at 06:43 PM.

haha, this is great-

Optus, finally paying the price for f***ing thier customers over for so long.

No decent company would have so many customers run for the door 1st chance they get if they provide a decent service. They have no one to blame but themselves.

For anyone still having issues:
    Explain that your service WILL be effected as you've purchased calling cards already etc etc.
    Stress that you want to be able to make those calls.
    Your contract- at the time of signing- had no indication of this not being allowed to occur. So, they're breaching thier contract.
    Last resort is to say you're taking the case to the TIO as they're in breach thier own terms of service.

If you hit a brick wall with someone- I'd give up, hang up, and ring back. You may have more luck with a different operator.

Okay guys heres an update on my end. I got a call back from a supervisor and it was like speaking to a brick wall. I explained how 5.2A is so general it does in fact affect me and how i simply did not agree to the new terms. She would have none of it though. Shes apparently passing my points onto their complaints dept but the stupid fucking phone ran out of battery and i have no way to call her back.

they keep maintaining that the change that was made was the blocking of those particular numbers. but the change is the addition of 5.2A and I am affected by 5.2A just like any one else who uses their phone to make calls.

This new clause allows them to block any number they see fit and i dont give a shit if i'm not affected by the numbers they blocked this time but they can block any number they want with this new clause and after the 12th we have no way to stop them.

I guess its a trip to the TIO for me. man this is such bollocks.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast