Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Hi,

I was checking my capacitors in my iMac G5 and noticed something which I found strange. You know those green rings that have the copper wire wraped around them? Well the three that run vertical to one another have what looks like a black sticky substance gathering on the inside of the ring where all the copper wires gather. I've checked th others and none of them have this. Is it some sort of glue and should be there? or are they leaking something into my mac?

Thanks.

know issue. apple is not the only one to be stung by this. dell was too and a heap of other companies......faulty capacitors

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

www.macmate.com.au

Leader of: Apple General, Help! & iPods, iTMS & Accessories

Thanks for the reply but my capacitors are ok. It's those green rings with the copper wire around them I was concerned about. What is the black stuff I can see inside them?

Originally posted by warren21@Jul 3 2005, 11:13 PM
    Thanks for the reply but my capacitors are ok. It's those green rings with the copper wire around them I was concerned about. What is the black stuff I can see inside them?
    Warren21 - IMHO, I think get the computer checked out by a rep ASAP - I think that is what MacMate is getting at - that Apple have problems in that area of the computer

Well I took my iMac into Next Byte Richmond today to be looked at. I told the bloke behind the desk about the black tar like substance building up on the circuitry. Also my screen is developing that milky white line "again" down the lefthand bottom corner. They replaced my LCD about 6 months ago for the same problem. This is the second lot of trouble I've had with this machine.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a mac mini and an Apple display. Does anyone know of any major flaws with the mac mini?

Not enjoying my mac experience so far.

Warren.

I think you mean 'flaws', not 'floors'.

The Mini has issues driving certain VGA monitors (not DVI monitors, which are fine). The 23" Cinema display has several known issues, but the 20" is pretty good.

One more major repair and you'll be able to pester Apple Australia for a free replacement (like I got with my lemon PowerBook).