Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: Lcd Monitor

darknight84 Guest

Well its time I think that i went with an LCD monitor. However Im stumped as to what brand is best for me. Im looking at the Samsung 173P plus monitor, a 17" is a good size for me. But cant really decide on that yet. Can anyone here give me some recommendations?

JimWOz's Avatar JimWOz is offline 56 no. ...and still seeing it big as a footy

I have a 17 inch Sony, now over 2 yrs old. I paid about $150 premium to get this over others at the time, but have no regrets. It is very bright, and very sharp.
    Remember with LCD's that they look best at native resolution, when driven at other resolutions they appear blurred. This is a result of the finite pixel size of the monitor, which is much larger than for a CRT. CRT's do not suffer from this blurring at different resolutions.

Most manufacturers now offer Digital as well as Analog video connections on their monitors, or do so for extra cost on higher spec models.
    MBP15 i7 2.2 16G/1TB/120SSD, MB C2D2.4 Black, MB2.0 Black, PBG4/15/1.5, PMG4 MDD, iMacG3/333, Epson1410, HPLJ5200DN, HP ML115 Ubuntu Server, Airport Extreme+Express N. In the closet: HP DC7600 PC, PBG4/12/867, PBG3/333, PM6200, PB5300C, SE30, SE.

Dont rule out the Benq 737sd

I have an older 737s and its a great all round screen. Would of been nice to get the updated sd model (which includes DVI) where as mine only has analog D-sub vga

Things to look at are the colour. 16.2 or 16.7 Million colours. The latter being better as the former uses dithering to produce some colours. If colours are important to you, take the latter.

Brightness, Contrast ratio and Response time are the others to look for.

Most LCD's these days are doing well in all three. With Response times getting pretty low, anything above 12-16ms these days is a no-brainer.

One last thing is the dead pixel policy. Most manufactuers have 3 year warranty on their monitors now, but the dead pixel warranty is still not great. It is fair to say that there are quite a lot of pixels, and usually the death of one or two pixels is still an extremely low percentage.

Never the less, a dead pixel is a dead pixel and no one is ever happy with that. So make sure their policy is a good one, allowing you to replace the panel without question.

pipsqeek
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru

Samsungs are good. I've had two Samsung LCDs, and currently still have one. They have a good warranty policy, 3 years on everything, including the backlight (some manufacturers only give you one year one the backlight).

They also have a zero dead pixel policy on some of their monitors. As it stands, both of the displays I got had no dead pixels (a 15" and a 17")

i have 3 samsung 172x 's . They are pretty good, and have a good dead pixel policy - 0 dead in middle 8 x 8 cm , no more than 3 dead anywhere else on the screen - for 3 years. I got mine for about $450 - had to shop around a bit though. Look good switched on or off!