Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default TomTom for iPhone release date?

Hi

Does anyone know when the release for this software in Australia and where will you be able to buy the car kit (Perth) ? Assume software via iTunes store?
    Thanks
    Spud

It's still not been announced - best place to get info would probable be here
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

St Cornelius Guest

One of the big things about the 3GS was the GPS yet they have really dropped the ball on getting worthwhile apps out for it.... tomtom and garmin would have been working on stuff for a long time but apple is fucking it up for everyone.

How long has the 3gs been out and nothing has happened since the keynote ... a fail if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by St Cornelius View Post
    One of the big things about the 3GS was the GPS yet they have really dropped the ball on getting worthwhile apps out for it.... tomtom and garmin would have been working on stuff for a long time but apple is fucking it up for everyone.

How long has the 3gs been out and nothing has happened since the keynote ... a fail if you ask me.
    GPS worked fine under the 3G iPhone. The digital compass new in the 3GS certainly makes things more accurate for turn-by-turn software but was by no means a requirement.

There was no technical reason why TomTom et al couldn't have developed their turn-by-turn applications last year when the 2.0 firmware was released, nothing has changed since then except a licensing condition that prohibited such applications.

They would have been the ones that lobbied to have that condition changed, so they would have had at least a year of development time to port their apps to the iPhone, so it's hardly Apple fucking it up for everyone.

-bok

Oh bugger off. There is already a couple of GPS apps available. The fact that Tom Tom said that their software would be ready at the end of summer (northern hemisphere) should give you a clue as to it not being Apple that is holding things up.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Quote Originally Posted by bok View Post
    There was no technical reason why TomTom et al couldn't have developed their turn-by-turn applications last year when the 2.0 firmware was released, nothing has changed since then except a licensing condition that prohibited such applications.
    Not quite. There was a condition that google maps not be used for it. There was no actual explicit 'thoust shall not do turn by turn', rather some other things in the developer program that put a lid on it.

Needless to say, turn-by-turn aps are now available, and Tom Tom will come soon
    "Some say, that if you hold him in the wrong way, he doesn't work properly..."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Not quite a fail the 3GS are still hard to coming by, I oredered 3 x 32G of them for my office through vodafone 3 to 4 weeks ago and they are still on back order

Uh, Sygic?

I have a friend who has it. It's actually pretty much like TomTom in many ways, and seems to work quiet well. I haven't actually seen it at work in a car yet, but from what I'm told it's not to bad... though obviously the Tom Tom solution with a separate GPS will probably be better.

St Cornelius Guest

Nokias run turn by turn Garmin or tomtom apps, have for a long time.
    they are really good saves you from having a gps + phone. Iphones have generic apps at the moment.... not good enough to be honest i want award winning quality software like garmin or tomtom.

Nokias run turn by turn Garmin or tomtom apps, have for a long time.
    they are really good saves you from having a gps + phone. Iphones have generic apps at the moment.... not good enough to be honest i want award winning quality software like garmin or tomtom.
    There is this thing you may have heard of - it's called researching your answers / questions - I suggest that you do this before you post more drivel.

For example - we've already covered this poop you've spouted with honey and shown that you don't have a clue.

Get ye back under yer bridge!

I use Sygic.

$60 via the App Store.

Good as gold. Actually better!

I was going to buy a PND and then Sygic came along. No need now.

BTW i heard Tom Tom is coming on 31st September 2009.

i like jokes

St Cornelius Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lutze View Post
    There is this thing you may have heard of - it's called researching your answers / questions - I suggest that you do this before you post more drivel.

For example - we've already covered this poop you've spouted with honey and shown that you don't have a clue.

Get ye back under yer bridge!
    Well.... yes the tomtom site you gave is a given we no thats the first place you go to find out about an apps information.

And no there are no good GSP apps yet. Sygic = fails (read reviews) name others that work in australia and are worth peoples time

And i stand by what i said there are no good gps apps out yet... Use a nokia with good GPS software and you will no the difference... so really the 3gs is nothing but a faster unit at the moment.

Well.... yes the tomtom site you gave is a given we no thats the first place you go to find out about an apps information.

And no there are no good GSP apps yet. Sygic = fails (read reviews) name others that work in australia and are worth peoples time

And i stand by what i said there are no good gps apps out yet... Use a nokia with good GPS software and you will no the difference... so really the 3gs is nothing but a faster unit at the moment.
    How about you use the thing before dismissing it outright. Pick a product, and I bet I could go out and find plenty of reviews that say it's rubbish. Sygic works just fine for me and is indeed very much like using a Tom Tom.

As for your last point, turn by turn is a software feature of 3.0 and has fuck all to do with the 3GS so I don't get why a lack of turn by turn apps makes the 3GS "nothing but a faster unit". It does have a few other features that differentiate it, maybe you should have a look at the comparison page so you can learn to tell the difference between a 3G and a 3GS.

I had a dreadful Sygic experience the other day, but today was different. I travelled the same route and it was much more responsive and accurate than it was in the past. I think it needs to be given a chance for the bugs to be ironed out. After all, Tomtom is trumpeting a new app, and Sygic has already done it, and probably at a fraction of the price. The only thing of Tomtom I really want is the hardware :-/

Sygic = fails (read reviews) name others that work in australia and are worth peoples time
    Sygic is all good here.

Reviews aint everything,

There is plenty of reviews goos and bad about everything out there.

To be honest, having used TomTom7 before, I thought I would never like any other GPS software. Now, I actually think that Sygic is generally better than TomTom, at least as far as completeness of map data is concerned. The only complain I have is that it does not warn me when approaching a red light camera. On my TomTom 7 on my window mobile phone, too many road's speed limit are not there, so it is no where near as useful as Sygic as an overspeeding warning device. Having said that, TomTom was able to locate a motel that I stayed in Berridale, whereas Sygic could'nt (does'nt even have the road name).

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesteve2 View Post
    To be honest, having used TomTom7 before, I thought I would never like any other GPS software. Now, I actually think that Sygic is generally better than TomTom, at least as far as completeness of map data is concerned. The only complain I have is that it does not warn me when approaching a red light camera. On my TomTom 7 on my window mobile phone, too many road's speed limit are not there, so it is no where near as useful as Sygic as an overspeeding warning device. Having said that, TomTom was able to locate a motel that I stayed in Berridale, whereas Sygic could'nt (does'nt even have the road name).
    I found similar issues on my Tomtom GO730, inaccurate speed limits or limits just missing, likewise school zones. Sygic has been more accurate generally. Even my old Mio has been more accurate... I'm wondering if its a result of users updating and sharing to the community... and their updates are inaccurate. I thought the community updates were good, initially, but now I am really not sure at all.

If TomTom for iPhone uses the same map as it does for the windows mobile version, then I'd say it is a very poor match against Sygic. I hope the map is at least as good, especially when it is supposed to have the benefit of mapshare features to improve it.

Edit: This afternoon I checked out the latest TomTOm Map once again. It has improved considerably over the last 6 months I must say. Almost every road that I examined has the correct speed limit kept.

Looks like it's going to be extremely formidable to challenge the King of GPS software after all.

Looks like in the iPhone arena, TT and Sygic will become the top two contenders from the look of it. Copilot and Navigon have shown their glaring weaknesses so far, so I think they can be ignored for a while now until they put their act together. Not sure about iGO yet.

For Malaysia, Sygic will be completely useless, just like iGO. Their City/Street address format will not work for this country. For Australia this will not be a problem.
    Last edited by eaglesteve2; 8th August 2009 at 10:38 PM.

Default Tom Tom's pricing leaked

TomTom for iPhone Pricing Leaks Comments - TrustedReviews

What do you think? Is the price reasonable? Will you pay for it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast