Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Guess Telstra are Everywhere

Hey Guys

Thought I would through this little tid-bit out here. Currently sailing around Fraser Island and since the wind has died down a bit, decided to do some speed tests with my iPhone 3GS

I am currently -25.2292,152.9905 - Google Maps

Have a good one guys

Cheers

I can't get 3G in my house in the burbs, but you can get it on your yacht. Curse you Telstra and your damn fine network! I switched from Optus to Vodafone and saw a massive improvement, but it's still no Telstra...
    iPhone developer & mac nut...
    Shifty Jelly

I was in a radiation bunker at Peter Mac hospital on the weekend. It was the first time I didn't have full 3G on Telstra. I only had 1 bar. In a room designed for radiotherapy. Go Telstra Go.

Ah the best thing about using Telstra... i never check my reception anymore its just bloody awesome!!! but im not looking forward to the next bill its going to cost me a arm and a leg... stupid telstra and no way to check your current usage of the cap
    Check out my cool applications:
    InsomniaX | WiFiScriptor | Utility-Lock (SleepLock/AutoLock) | SyncBar

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

Just spent three days traveling across the Cape and Gulf country to the Isa. No optus coverage at all on my iphone from Gordonvale to Cloncurry/Mt Isa, and even there only weak GPRS, while my BB/nextG equipped colleagues had the sweet, sweet combination of coverage much of the time and mirth at my expense. Bastards.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

I used a Telstra prepaid modem on my recent trip from Sydney to Perth on the Indian Pacific train.
    It surprised me when I was able to get a signal out in the middle of the Nullabor. There is absolutely nothing out there and the only sign of civilisation is the train and its track. Yet I could get onto the net and tweet all about it!
     Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8 core  MacBook Air 1.6Ghz  iPhone 4 32GB black  iPad 3G 32GB
    My  controlled model railway "Byron Creek" at http://www.byroncreek.com

I went for a wedding in Parkes NSW, 3G coverage the entire way and hadn't dropped out once.

I took these from my journey.

Click for full size
    - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch
    funnily enough the place where we had stopped had a Telstra ute parked outside.

Click for full size
    Hmmmm... country town gravy chips.

Click for full size

So should the mods set up a Mega-Merged Thread of Telstra Love?
    If you can keep your head while all those around you are losing theirs, then maybe you haven't quite grasped the seriousness of the situation.

I love Telstra's Network too!

I truly believe that the iPhone should be on Telstra's network. My GF's iPhone is on 3, and it keeps roaming even in Melb CBD. This consumes power and causes inconvenience when 3G isn't available.

Quote Originally Posted by eron View Post
    I love Telstra's Network too!

I truly believe that the iPhone should be on Telstra's network. My GF's iPhone is on 3, and it keeps roaming even in Melb CBD. This consumes power and causes inconvenience when 3G isn't available.
    Why would roaming consume more power? It's the same wireless and networking protocols.

I think we all love their coverage, it goes without saying.

I haven't met many people that love their prices though. My question to all you Telstra peeps is how much do you pay a month (after data charges etc) and is it a business or personal phone?
    iPhone developer & mac nut...
    Shifty Jelly

Just set up their beloved 7.2mbps Home Network Gateway. Sitting pretty with a Yagi antenna about ~35km from the nearest cell. Google Maps
    MacBook Unibody 2.4GHz // iPhone 4 32GB (Telstra) // iPad 2 64GB Wifi+3G
    twitter | lifestream | last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Just set up their beloved 7.2mbps Home Network Gateway. Sitting pretty with a Yagi antenna about ~35km from the nearest cell. Google Maps
    What's your lantecy like with that set-up?

Quote Originally Posted by bok View Post
    Why would roaming consume more power? It's the same wireless and networking protocols.
    In its idle state, no, it won't consume more power but every time it starts a roaming session, it will have to actively reconnect and as a result use unnecessary power. Also I assume that the phone will be actively looking for the 3 network while roaming (so it knows it can hop off nextG) <-- I'm not 100% sure on that one tho

Quote Originally Posted by iCameron View Post
    What's your lantecy like with that set-up?

Used the Melbourne server as that's what speedtest suggested; I suppose it's based on the IP address you're assigned. (Sometimes it suggests Perth, etc)
    MacBook Unibody 2.4GHz // iPhone 4 32GB (Telstra) // iPad 2 64GB Wifi+3G
    twitter | lifestream | last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    I was in a radiation bunker at Peter Mac hospital on the weekend. It was the first time I didn't have full 3G on Telstra. I only had 1 bar. In a room designed for radiotherapy. Go Telstra Go.
    I think i would be checking with Medical Physics if that concrete is up to spec!

A construction company i know looked at the specs for a bunker concrete floor and decided to take it upon them selves to decide that you dont need a floor that thick and poured it short!

Aladdin's Avatar Aladdin is offline Drink Coffee - Do Stupid Things Faster

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Lucky you. I had 'No Service' on Telstra on my iPhone 3G the last time I was down there.

BTW, what were you doing there, fiddling with your iPhone?
    Rise & Shine: the early spoon gets the morning wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    BTW, what were you doing there, fiddling with your iPhone?
    It was a Mac hospital. Duh.

Telstra actually does a poor job of marketing how good their network is, they need to do an advert of people going around a city and country and the differencing level of reception bars.
    "Every act of creation is first of all an act of destruction." - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by morn View Post
    Telstra actually does a poor job of marketing how good their network is, they need to do an advert of people going around a city and country and the differencing level of reception bars.
    And call it "Reception Hunters" ?

Sounds oddly familiar...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast